• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Squads

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is Joseph defiantly out then? I would expect them to replace roach with him if he becomes availible
A few weeks injury, and plus rehab. He's not going to be featured in the WC.

Would rather have a Romario Shepherd or even Sherfane Rutherford if the situation demands a replacement player.

Daemon

He was punished and banned for 21 days, should be the end of that imo. They've effectively extended the ban.

Spikey

Dire stuff from Hales, not the first time he has failed a drugs test. Lucky he isn't banned for the entire summer.
The policy clearly says that 2nd failed test for recreational drug use (ie nothing to do with performance enhancing drugs) is a 21 day ban so I'm not sure how he can be considered lucky for having the correct punishment issued to him

flibbertyjibber

The policy clearly says that 2nd failed test for recreational drug use (ie nothing to do with performance enhancing drugs) is a 21 day ban so I'm not sure how he can be considered lucky for having the correct punishment issued to him
Because the punishment in place is clearly a joke. To get caught once is stupid to do it again so close to a home world cup is unforgivable. I'd not lose any sleep if the prick never played an international again.

Spikey

Policy is in line with other sports. illicit drug policies are based around player welfare, not player punishment. (CA has a similar policy, AFL and NRL have similar policies. Some sports don't test for illicit drugs at all). Further more, he was punished then named in the squad then busted in the media and then removed from the squad, therefore we're to assume he would still be in the squad if the media didn't figure it out, therefore, extremely dire stuff

Last edited:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Yes certainly seems they were happy to overlook his indiscretions once his ban was served but once it got into the public domain it became a public relations issue and commercial issue. Still given his long list of indiscretions he really can't have any complaint imo.

Top_Cat

Policy is in line with other sports. illicit drug policies are based around player welfare, not player punishment. (CA has a similar policy, AFL and NRL have similar policies. Some sports don't test for illicit drugs at all). Further more, he was punished then named in the squad then busted in the media and then removed from the squad, therefore we're to assume he would still be in the squad if the media didn't figure it out, therefore, extremely dire stuff
Has been on thin ice, form-wise, for some time too. Would be in otherwise tbh.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I feel some sympathy for Hales, but as a highly paid international sportsman, he could've waited until the end of his career or at least a "judicious" time in the off season to dabble in banned substances..

Tom Flint

International Regular
Is cocaine an illicit substance then or is that seen as performance enhancing? Livermore and Adrian mutu both got 6 months + for that

Daemon

what sad times we live in when people are calling for your career to end just because you enjoy the occasional nose candy

he's just an entertainer. we even have a judge here who appreciates it ffs.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
what sad times we live in when people are calling for your career to end just because you enjoy the occasional nose candy

he's just an entertainer. we even have a judge here who appreciates it ffs.
Agree wholeheartedly. Hales was stupid, but to characterize him as needing rehabilitation for toking up/sniffing at a line...ffs, that is way over the top.

Spikey

Is cocaine an illicit substance then or is that seen as performance enhancing? Livermore and Adrian mutu both got 6 months + for that
The grey zone for most illicit substances is that if you're in a code that follows WADA, you'll receive a ban similar to performance enhancing drugs if you're busted for it in a match day test, but out of competition WADA doesn't care. I believe the ICC follows WADA, so if Hales got busted for cocaine after a county match, he'd get a 1 to 4 year ban but if he got tested in the off-season they're only looking for performance enhancing stuff and a positive coke test isn't thought about.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/may/20/punishment-for-cocaine-use-does-not-fit-crime

in this case, hales has failed ECB's recreational drugs policy (which I think are mainly in place to try to combat this grey zone) for a second time, but it's nothing to do with WADA testing, so he's not subject to those long bans under the WADA code. but he's clearly been punished beyond the ECB's fixed punishment for that offence and I can't believe people are trying to excuse the ECB for it. yes Alex Hales is clearly a bad bloke, he goes out on the town with ben stokes after all, but what has happened is pretty farcical

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
i mean cocaine (if that's what he's busted for?) is a Class A drug carrying a possible 7-year prison penalty so I can see why employers aren't keen on their employees using it