• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Cup Squads

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chandimal is a better batting option than the resources lanka currently have
A miracle, you make a comment that the majority will actually agree with.

Being serious though he must have done something really serious to have been dumped like he has given the lack of decent options at present even if his form has dropped off.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Wahab and Riaz in for Ashraf and Junaid in the WC squad. Direct effect of the England series. Quite lucky that both of them didn't play this series. At least Ashraf should feel hard done by, since he can bat as well and along with Shadab, could have provided crucial runs in the lower order.

vcs

Wahab and Riaz in for Ashraf and Junaid in the WC squad. Direct effect of the England series. Quite lucky that both of them didn't play this series. At least Ashraf should feel hard done by, since he can bat as well and along with Shadab, could have provided crucial runs in the lower order.
??

No matter how badly Riaz performs, circumstances always seem to conspire to give him yet another undeserved chance.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know Junaid didn't do well against England (though I don't think he did worse than anyone else) but his record is significantly better than Wahab's. For some perspective, the last time Wahab bowled against England in an ODI he took 0/110.

With a very raw and not very accurate Hasnain (who had a grand total of one decent T20 series to get selected) already in there to concede runs this comes across as shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic at best. Though Sri Lanka does manage to make them look brilliant, so it could be worse.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Wahab's last two ODI appearances in England: 18.4 overs, 0/197

If that isn't sufficient reason to say never again to him I don't know what is?

Starfighter

I must always remember to head over to PakPassion whenever they make a funky selection. Such entertainment.

flibbertyjibber

Feel for Willey, really hard to take that. He must be gutted. Someone had to miss out though to get Archer in. As for Vince and Dawson they only play if we get an illness or injury or in the last couple of games in the opening stage if we have already qualified so not overly fussed. Hales must be kicking himself though knowing a hack like Vince took his place in the squad and it is all his own fault.

stephen

The way that this tournament is being hyped, might as well pick bowling machines instead of humans. Wood, Willey, your mum, it's not supposedly going to make a difference, scores will be absurdly high.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'd have picked Willey over Wood but I'm not too bothered as neither make the XI and I don't really trust Willey to bowl a full 10 overs anyway.

Willey also ain't much of a batsman in ODIs, being able to hit big sixes isn't the same thing as effective batting, his strike rate is 82 compared to Curran's 107, Plunkett's 128 and Rashid's 100. The only thing he really has over Wood is fielding I think.

Dawson can thank himself lucky that his stock has risen by virtue of him not playing. But his selection makes more sense than Denly.

Vince is lucky in general. It shows that the reserve batting is unusually sparse. Given how many bowlers have been involved in England over the last few years, it's remarkable that we have our first reserve batsman being a bloke with 9 matches and a high score of 51.

It speaks as to what ODI cricket is about most of the time - first choice batting lineups against reserve bowlers and act shocked when they hit 350.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
In the draft comp I dropped Willey for Wood as I just felt like Wood was more of a difference maker. I dont particularly like Willeys wicket taking ability with the ball in ODIs, Jofras inclusion made the decision slightly easier.

Daemon

Feel like the consistent but relatively slower batsmen like Hope, van der Dussen, Babar and Root are gonna be super important in the pressure games. WC history says we don’t see a lot of high scores when it comes to crunch time.

Obviously the latter two aren’t slow but they’re generally striking in the mid 80s and are pretty much the cake of their sides.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Feel like the consistent but relatively slower batsmen like Hope, van der Dussen, Babar and Root are gonna be super important in the pressure games. WC history says we don’t see a lot of high scores when it comes to crunch time.

Obviously the latter two aren’t slow but they’re generally striking in the mid 80s and are pretty much the cake of their sides.
vd Dussen been pretty aggressive recently, whatever his records shows. This job will fall to Amla and Faf for SA.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
From what I've seen of Rassie in saffer domestic cricket, he is certainly capable of going on the attack, hasn't really shown that in a Proteas shirt yet but he certainly does have a few shots in his aresnal

Probably got the best name in all of international cricket currently too