• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do you have pegged for your 4 semi finalists?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Wowza, a lot of New Zealands.

None of our batsmen have proven World Cup records (Guptill's double ton in the QF last time apart), and Boult is our only bowler of world-class level - although Santner will probably perform well.

England
SA
India
Australia

With Pakistan a fair shout if things go their way.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm surprised at all the NZ mentions too. We got spanked by India at home, meanwhile Australia look to be peaking at the right time, after being horrendous for a couple for years.

Since the Windies looked so ordinary in those warm-ups against Bangers (admittedly not full strength), I've omitted them out of my semi predictions, and replaced then with SA;

India
England
Australia
South Africa

Still picking India to win the thing.

Burner

International Regular
England
New Zealand
India
Australia

If the pitches stay flat throughout the tournament, England to be massive favourites. India's chances rely heavily on their spinners imo. If Kudeep and Co get carted, they might not make it past the semis. Hopefully Australia don't find their mojo this time around. NZ's bats haven't clicked recently but with Guptill, Taylor and KW, they are a formidable side when if they eventually do.

MrPrez

International Debutant
I'm surprised at all the NZ mentions too. We got spanked by India at home, meanwhile Australia look to be peaking at the right time, after being horrendous for a couple for years.
It's more due to how bad everyone else is. India, Eng, and Aus are three obvious favourites. SA has garbage batting without AB and an Amla at all capable of scoring runs. After them you're looking at Pak, WI, and SL...

MrPrez

International Debutant
It's more due to how bad everyone else is. India, Eng, and Aus are three obvious favourites. SA has garbage batting without AB and an Amla at all capable of scoring runs. After them you're looking at Pak, WI, and SL...

trundler

Bold coming from a Saffer.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah SA gives me no confidence anymore. Amla is well past it, he batted nearly an entire innings recently to help his team to get to 270? Iirc. Pretty unnaccetable for an opener to do that these days, I think they had like 7 wickets in hand too

trundler

That was one of the lowest scores a team batting first made with 8 wickets in hand, ever.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Bold coming from a Saffer.
Did you read my previous sentence.

(Both of them had SA in their top 4 which is why I separated us from Pak, WI and SL. Also we just destroyed SL in ODIs so we're not THAT bad. Although in fairness SL might be destroyed by Afghanistan this world cup...)

trundler

West Indies Vs SA should be very entertaining. Brutal hitters vs quality bowling. Shaky batting vs bog ordinary bowling.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
True. The issue all NZ fans have is that even if we score 300-320, we'd have no confidence that outside Boult and Santner, the other bowlers are capable. If Southee plays and goes for 0-100 in an important game, it will surprise no one (and even less who watched the IPL)

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia, India and England are sure shot for 3 spots. 4th spot is between SA, NZ, Pak and as an outsider, WI. I go for West Indies.

I don't think BD, Afg and SL have a chance in this format.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I am really far less optimistic about Australia's chances than many others here. Outside of Starc and Cummins our bowling looks a touch thin, and the batting lineup while good on paper hasn't played that much cricket together. They still seem unsure on how to best use Warner, that is concerning this close to the tournament.

smash84

The Tiger King
I am really far less optimistic about Australia's chances than many others here. Outside of Starc and Cummins our bowling looks a touch thin, and the batting lineup while good on paper hasn't played that much cricket together. They still seem unsure on how to best use Warner, that is concerning this close to the tournament.
I don't think you have watched the last 10 ODIs Australia have played.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think you have watched the last 10 ODIs Australia have played.
Yes the recent results have been good, but that is largely irrelevant. Anyone who can't see there are still definitely some holes in this Australian side is quite frankly kidding themselves. We are absolutely no guarantee to make the semi finals, complacency must be avoided at all costs.

That was a truly dire post from you

smash84

The Tiger King
Yes the recent results have been good, but that is largely irrelevant. Anyone who can't see there are still definitely some holes in this Australian side is quite frankly kidding themselves. We are absolutely no guarantee to make the semi finals, complacency must be avoided at all costs.

That was a truly dire post from you
Nobody is guaranteed a place in the final four, obv. But there's a reason AUS are being picked by most people. They may not be as good as England but they're plenty good , have Smith and Warner back, and have a fairly good bowling attack, compared to the competition.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry, my previous post was in hindsight a touch harsh on you, but I still stand by my thoughts that people are overestimating Australia a fair bit

I see your point, but still very much have my doubts

Last edited: