• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank the World Cups from best to worst

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Plenty of great memories over the years, but reading cricinfo's series on great WC matches, it made me think about where the world cup's rank with respect to one another. For me it's (from best to worst):

1992 - the Tournament that made me a cricket fan. Good format, plenty of exciting close games, a thrilling and at times controversial knock-out phase and ATG performances from ATG players.
1996 - the great underdog tale. In 1992 Sri Lanka probably weren't regarded as much above minnow status, and yet in 1996 they won every game they played including a rampant India and a genuinely great Australia. The introduction of the QF's added an extra layer of drama, though unfortunately the first appearance by the associate nations made the round-robin a bit of a slog.
1999 - featured the best WC game of all-time, which goes a long way. Plenty of thrilling cricketers and back and forth action between the tournament front-runners. The tournament was slightly let-down by England's insipid showing and the horrible damp-squib that was the final. Overall though a great tournament.
2015 - A fun tournament, but again, let down by a one-sided final and a shortage of really close games (outside of Eden Park). The continuing improvement of the associate nations, and Bangladesh, helped to make the group phase genuinely interesting for the first time since 1999.
2011 - A big improvement on the '07 edition, but lacking a little in drama (outside of the now pre-requisite South Africa choke against New Zealand and the India v Pakistan semi).
2003 - Upping the number of teams to 14 made the group phase a horrendous slog. The super 6 phase was a snoozer as England and South Africa missed out due to politics (England refusing to play Zim, NZ refusing to play Kenya), as were the knock-out matches. Not one to remember unless you're an India or Kenya fan.
2007 - Undoubtedly the worst. Expanding the number of teams to 16 was just ridiculous. Pakistan and India knocked out due to the punishing tournament format. A hideous super-8 phase played out in front of empty stands where a final 4 of Aus, SRL, NZ and SAF was more or less guaranteed after a handful of games. One-sided semi's, and then a farcical final that finished with Sri Lanka patting bat half volleys from Symonds and Clarke in near total darkness.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
I liked 2007 to a point. The group stage was fantastic. Stars were born, Bangers and Ireland roared for the first time, and we all learned the name Dwayne Leverock. Gibbs got that guy to retire after smashing him for 6 6s. Malinga took 4 in 4 (that may have been super 8 tbf)

The Super-8 was not though, and the semis and finals sucked too. AU were really good throughout though, ATG team.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
07 gave us that catch from the fat Bermudan guy (that I now realise Athlai was referencing), winner

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1999 by light years ahead. Had the most ATGs of any cup plus had some super epic matches near the end. Pity the final was one sided but they nearly all are. I also think England is a great host nation for such an event. Great atmosphere, hopefully this year's one rocks

2003 was chaos, so many cancelled matches for security reasons and the Zimbabwe drama. Not good imo

smash84

The Tiger King
1999 - best world cup for sheer number of high quality matches, very exciting too (such an anti-climactic final though), great uniforms and great balance between bat and ball in general
1992 - really was a spectacle, huge grounds, colored clothing, great uniforms, some ATG at the end of their careers (imran, border, marshall, kapil, botham), new gen coming into their own (tendulkar, wasim, ambrose, donald), had a great song as well
2015 - pretty good world cup in general, some great matches to remember, not a great final of course
1996 - quite memorable because of the way SL played, also a great WI-Aus semi-final ensured that the tournament would sitck in memory
1987 - A fairly good world cup with good semis kicking out the favs and the closest world cup final we have ever witnessed.
2011 - ended up being a bit meh maybe because of a lack of close matches and India starting off as favorites and generally fulfilling expectations.
2003 - awful world cup in general, no good matches that i can remember except a very good Ind-Pak encounter, australia bull dozing everyone and making the tournament totally one sided. Almost seemed like the WC started off where the 1999 WC left off, total Aus domination
2007 - Worst world cup ever. period.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
99>92>2011>96>03>2015>07
I'll go with this, except I'd put 2011 ahead of '92 because India, **** yeah

Also, in hindsight, I'd have 2007 above 2015 despite the empty stadia and awful timezone. That Aussie ATG team was at its peak and played God-level ODI cricket, no one's ever played it any better. 2015 team was better than the rest, but obviously benefited from home advantage and the pitches were too batting friendly for the event to stick long in the memory.

morgieb

99 -> 92 -> 96 -> 2015 -> 2011 -> 2003 -> 2007

Not sure where I'd put the WC's before that in though. I think the 80's ones would be near the top and 79 down with the 03/07 dregs.

stephen

2011 was such a dire World Cup I keep needing to be reminded that one was run that year. Just an awful world cup. Deservedly gets last place.

1999 had the greatest ODI of all time where the winner of the final went on to play Pakistan in the semi. By far the best cup with tons of drama and memorable moments, players and teams. Easily takes the cake as the best cup of all time. Really was the pinnacle off ODI cricket.

2003 saw the emergence of the ATG Aus side and 2007 saw the utter dominance of said side.

1987 had the greatest upset winner which makes it great.

2015 was the weakest of the Australian cup wins but the cup itself was pretty well run with some memorable matches and performances. The Aus vs NZ game in the group stages was probably the best game of the cup.

If love to have seen the earlier cups with Clive Lloyds side running rampant.

The best non- Aus/ Windies cup was 1996 which was quite memorable and saw the Sri Lankans do what South Africa have failed to ever do - win against Australia in a knockout cup match. It loses points for being played in the subcontinent.

stephen

I have to say that 2003 and 2007 were better for the presence of the minnows. It was particularly lovely seeing India and Pakistan put up a huge fight against the Irish and Bangladeshis. Ultimately they didn't make it through but it just goes to show that the cup is better for being a World Cup instead of just a glorified champions trophy.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year

Don't really know enough about world cups earlier than that. 2003 is very underrated imo

OverratedSanity

2011 had the KoB hundred, bangladesh embarassing England, SA's funniest choke.and Pak's funniest WC loss to India. Also India won. What more could anyone want.

Most of the knockout matches were decent too, and it had an actually competitive and engrossing final, unlike most tournaments

Last edited: