• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank the World Cups from best to worst

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
This is pretty much the worst world cup now. All momentum and all excitement just got killed.

Last edited:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know, it just felt short of big moments and drama compared to most World Cup's. It's not a bad WC but it's a little forgettable other than the KoB ton and NZ beating SA.

EDIT: TBF though England's run seems amazingly crazy there.
It all depends on whether one gives more weightage to big drama moments or relatively higher quality cricket over the course of the world cup. The 2011 WC (despite the crapy format) had high quality cricket for the most part, it had so many games that weren't close but weren't exactly walkovers. Also that was the last world cup that had reverse swing as a big factor, Zaheer's knuckle ball was a big highlight in terms of skill with the old ball. 2015 was also similar in terms of relatively high quality cricket with some good knockout games as well.

There will always be something or the other missing in WC's, the current format (which was also the 92 format) provides for potentially better viewership but that is at the expense of the minnows, in which case its not really a WORLD cup is it? But then if you include them and they're not good enough a lot of the group stage games become boring and drag on.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What bugs me about the format is how little the matches matter individually. They only matter in volume.

When England lost to Pakistan it should have made it hard for them to make the next stage, as it is it hardly budged their odds at all. And at the end of India v Australia the commentators were trying to find reasons why we should care.
Yeah that’s a really good point, and stands as a contrast to more of the games being competitive contests in this format. So we sort of get better contests but they mean less.

Burgey

This is pretty much the worst world cup now. All momentum and all excitement just got killed.
Nah I don’t agree with that. Firstly it’s too soon to say, secondly there’s been a comparatively high number of good standard and closeish games. I think if NZ-India had got on then this WC would be right up there.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
2011 had the KoB hundred, bangladesh embarassing England, SA's funniest choke.and Pak's funniest WC loss to India. Also India won. What more could anyone want.

Most of the knockout matches were decent too, and it had an actually competitive and engrossing final, unlike most tournaments
Yeah. Some ****posting from usual suspects about 2011 world cup. Actually had competitive knockouts, especially all 3 of India's knockout games at some stage were drifting away from India and then India came back. They were also free of mad run fests like in 2015 world cup.

OverratedSanity

In theory, I think this new format can make for compelling viewing where each point earned genuinely contributes to your progression to the sf, unlike previous tournaments where a lot of the time the good teams would sleepwalk through the group stage unless they were shocked by a minnow (which weren't particularly frequent).

Only in theory though. If the top 4 separate themselves from the others early on, this format could feel dreadfully overlong and pointless.

Last edited:

morgieb

One thing this cup lacks imo is the lack of 9-10/10 matches. Still obviously a lot of time but while there’s a lot of good games there hasn’t been one super memorable one to drag it to the next level.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In theory, I think this new format can make for compelling viewing where each point earned genuinely contributes to your progression to the sf, unlike previous tournaments where a lot of the time the good teams would sleepwalk through the group stage unless they were shocked by a minnow (which weren't particularly frequent).

Only in theory though. If the top 4 separate themselves from the others early on, this format could feel dreadfully overlong and pointless.
Definitely feels like the top four of England-NZ-India-Australia will be locked up with 2-3 rounds left

BSM

U19 Cricketer

The flip side I guess though is that if the 4 teams do end up splitting away from the rest they are doing so on merit? Even if they drag on a little, it would feel better knowing every team has had a sizeable opportunity to win their way to the top 4 and no one has cheesed their way there.

Bolo

State Captain

Overlong and pointless to me no matter what happens. Finding a winner in a competition with 10 teams should take weeks, not a month and a half

Bolo

State Captain
IPL lasts longer. lol
Not sure its a particularly apt comparison. Ipl is designed to create a spectacle, and is implicitly a financially driven event. Winner is almost meaningless- you could play it without finals without impacting the event much. WC is all about creating world champions.

OverratedSanity

The flip side I guess though is that if the 4 teams do end up splitting away from the rest they are doing so on merit? Even if they drag on a little, it would feel better knowing every team has had a sizeable opportunity to win their way to the top 4 and no one has cheesed their way there.
That's a very boring flip side

DriveClub

International Regular
This honestly feels like the most boring to me. I know who the semi finalists are now itself. And half the matches are going to be rained off anyway. Terrible format tbh

Debris

International 12th Man
Overlong and pointless to me no matter what happens. Finding a winner in a competition with 10 teams should take weeks, not a month and a half
The length of the tournament could be fixed by having multiple games on a day. That would cut two weeks off at least.