• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Run Up to the World Cup

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As I write Sri Lanka's captain is striking at 64 against a very gentle Scotland attack. Bodes well for them.

stephen

For those in Australia, fox sports 501 currently playing highlights ofhte greatest ODI of all time - 1999 semi final. Get in.
Mate I have it on DVD. I did it out and watch it every so often. It was such a good semi.

People often forget that this was probably Bevan's finest world cup moment as well. Hitting a hugely important 65 which was the highest score of the match.

Reiffel and Lehmann must gave both been thanking Donald at the end there. Australia gave the game away so many times we didn't really deserve to win (which of course we didn't).

I just wonder what Steve Waugh's and Shane Warne's legacies would have been in ODIs without this world cup. Both players probably would have been considered failures and underperformers in ODIs without it.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I just wonder what Steve Waugh's and Shane Warne's legacies would have been in ODIs without this world cup. Both players probably would have been considered failures and underperformers in ODIs without it.
If Oz had lost this semi, I don't think it would've impacted Warne's ODI reputation. Apart from his overall record, he'd almost single-handedly won Oz the 1996 semi and of course did a similar job in the 1999 semi.

As for Steve Waugh, perhaps it would've made a difference. He'd made his mark on the world stage at the 1987 WC but his 1992/1996 WC's were pretty anonymous and a third bad one (which this nearly was) would've hurt his rep.

tbh I reckon Waugh underachived a bit as an ODI player, especially in the 2nd half of his career (1999 WC notwithstanding). Was a brilliant all-rounder in his early years but once he effectively dropped his bowling he'd become a stodgier version of his early years as a batsman who became a bit of an indulgence in a successful side, leading to his eventual dropping.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Since last world cup.

Batting:

TeamAveRPO
England41.646.29
Australia35.285.72
South Africa38.225.71
India44.125.7
New Zealand35.785.68
Pakistan37.625.54
Bangladesh33.565.31
Sri Lanka28.415.3
West Indies28.685.21
Afghanistan27.54.76

Bowling:

TeamAveRPO
Afghanistan23.774.53
Zimbabwe33.715.09
Bangladesh32.15.16
India30.125.31
South Africa29.695.39
Pakistan35.485.41
New Zealand31.255.53
Australia33.785.63
West Indies40.845.7
England34.585.82
Sri Lanka37.935.83
Those English batting figures, ****ing hell.

mr_mister

If Oz had lost this semi, I don't think it would've impacted Warne's ODI reputation. Apart from his overall record, he'd almost single-handedly won Oz the 1996 semi and of course did a similar job in the 1999 semi.

As for Steve Waugh, perhaps it would've made a difference. He'd made his mark on the world stage at the 1987 WC but his 1992/1996 WC's were pretty anonymous and a third bad one (which this nearly was) would've hurt his rep.

tbh I reckon Waugh underachived a bit as an ODI player, especially in the 2nd half of his career (1999 WC notwithstanding). Was a brilliant all-rounder in his early years but once he effectively dropped his bowling he'd become a stodgier version of his early years as a batsman who became a bit of an indulgence in a successful side, leading to his eventual dropping.
Steve Waugh's overall WC all round record was immense. Have a gander at it. And considering he carried them to that SF anyway with his 120* I don't think it would harmed his legacy too much

trundler

Yeah Afghanistan were plodding along at 5 an over against a modest Irish attack. SL weren't doing much better. Both saved by some hacky lower order hitting, judging by the scorecard. Not enough firepower.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Very slick. This is Englands crowning moment I reckon, very hot favs with superstarz across the lineup.

Also, get in Gulbadin. Always pretty happy seeing him do well.

Burgey

Mate I have it on DVD. I did it out and watch it every so often. It was such a good semi.

People often forget that this was probably Bevan's finest world cup moment as well. Hitting a hugely important 65 which was the highest score of the match.

Reiffel and Lehmann must gave both been thanking Donald at the end there. Australia gave the game away so many times we didn't really deserve to win (which of course we didn't).

Still think the final run out was Klusener's fault tbh, which was a shame as he had been the player of the tourney.

How ****ing hard did he hit that first drive through cover point in the last over? Jesus Christ.

stephen

Still think the final run out was Klusener's fault tbh, which was a shame as he had been the player of the tourney.

How ****ing hard did he hit that first drive through cover point in the last over? Jesus Christ.
His two fours in that final over were two of the most authoritative shots I've ever seen. He brutalised them.

mr_mister

Yeah, I was watching it last night on fox too and I don't think anyone expected he'd tie things up in the first 2 balls. Especially the way things were going. From McGrath bowling out Boucher to scores level was a frantic few moments. Procter was great fun on commentary.

Burgey

2007 final coming up on Fox at 9pm.

Must be difficult for all these other countries, who basically have somewhere between 0-2 WC highlights, whereas we Australians basically have a well stocked buffet of treats to choose from.

Burgey

No one surprised to see Murali take 0/a zillion and go at 6.5s against Australia in that final.

Bloke made a career of doing it. Never excelled against the best side of his era.