• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Run Up to the World Cup

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England probably have the best side, but I feel like theirs is one that could get exposed if things go wrong. Their bowling is kinda meh so it's possible that they could hit 350 first up and still lose. And there's not too much variety in their batting lineup so I could also potentially see an implosion happening at the wrong time. Think they'll finish 1st in the Round Robin though.

My favourites are India. Best bowling of the bunch (other than maybe Pakistan) and their Top 3 is just flat out awesome. Possible concerns over their 4-7 I guess but Dhoni and Rayudu can still score runs and Pandya and Jadhav are decent hitters.

Semi-finalists, lets go them two, New Zealand and South Africa. South Africa to bowl a team out for less than 250 in the semi before getting out for around 200 in the same game.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Aus a darkhorse for me. Think if a couple of their players click (Maxwell, Starc) they can win the whole thing

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aus a darkhorse for me. Think if a couple of their players click (Maxwell, Starc) they can win the whole thing
Australia haven't won an ODI series in two years. Having said that, if the right team is picked I do believe Australia have a good shot.

Australia have not missed a semi final in 30 years or so, so it's always dangerous writing them off.

Having said that, I think the Indian side could sneak through with the win in the end. England are playing some very good ODI cricket at the moment though so they'll be tough to beat.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Who will win? - South Africa
Who will make the semi finals and finals? - England final. NZ and Pakistan semi.
How will South Africa choke this time? - See above
How many people will watch India vs Pakistan? - 0. India will refuse to play against Pakistan due to political reasons.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Who will make the semi finals and finals? - England final. NZ and Pakistan semi.
How many people will watch India vs Pakistan? - 0. India will refuse to play against Pakistan due to political reasons.
Yeah...nah...

Stefan9

International Debutant
England and India are heavy favorites after that it is anyone's game who takes the last 2 semi spots.

vcs

I'm pretty pessimistic myself but I'd be surprised if India don't even make the semifinals.

veganbob

U19 Captain
Would be strange if sa won now, especially with them not bring near the favs.
I dont think sa can choke this time as their team is not really favored to win, a lot of people are saying 5th.

I think India and England should be easy picks for the semis with such a long round robin.
The other 2 places are between NZ, pakistan, sa and Aussie imo.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Def think Australia are under-rated and better than their current sixth ranking. They've mucked around their ODI side a lot in recent years, but will pull together a very good XI in the tournament and be very competitive. Especially if Starc reclaims top form. They're more worthy of the 'dark horse' tag usually applied to Pakistan and New Zealand than either of those teams (both of whom are ranked higher anyway). For some reason people are writing Australia off, which is a bad idea.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Def think Australia are under-rated and better than their current sixth ranking. They've mucked around their ODI side a lot in recent years, but will pull together a very good XI in the tournament and be very competitive. Especially if Starc reclaims top form. They're more worthy of the 'dark horse' tag usually applied to Pakistan and New Zealand than either of those teams (both of whom are ranked higher anyway). For some reason people are writing Australia off, which is a bad idea.
tbf hardly winning a series in 2 years is a pretty good reason to write them off. It is easy to miss that over those 2 years, with the exception of 1 or 2 series, Aus have had 4-5 first choice players "rested" every time.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tbf hardly winning a series in 2 years is a pretty good reason to write them off. It is easy to miss that over those 2 years, with the exception of 1 or 2 series, Aus have had 4-5 first choice players "rested" every time.
When was the last time two of Starc, Cummins and Hazlewood bowled together in an ODI? Maybe against England in January 2018?

vcs

The upcoming series in India should tell us a fair amount about Australia. I'm sure they'll pick their strongest available team (when do Smith and Warner's bans expire, and what's their injury status BTW?) and treat it as a proper dress rehearsal. They'll be dangerous at the World Cup for sure.

TheJediBrah

The upcoming series in India should tell us a fair amount about Australia. I'm sure they'll pick their strongest available team (when do Smith and Warner's bans expire, and what's their injury status BTW?) and treat it as a proper dress rehearsal. They'll be dangerous at the World Cup for sure.
No Starc, Hazlewood, Smith or Warner. I really doubt it. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Aus WC team has 7 or 8 starting players that aren't on this tour.

Daemon

When was the last time two of Starc, Cummins and Hazlewood bowled together in an ODI? Maybe against England in January 2018?
All three of them bowled together in all three games against SA in November last year. Series was lost 2-1.

vcs

No Starc, Hazlewood, Smith or Warner. I really doubt it. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the Aus WC team has 7 or 8 starting players that aren't on this tour.
Injury or rest (for the bowlers)? Stupid selection policy if it's the latter.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
I have a feeling it'll go **** up for England. The ECB have chucked all their eggs into one big ''must win the world cup in 2019'' basket. These things inevitably misfire, as they did in the champions trophy.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I'd agree with those who have said that India and England will make the semifinals. They are the two most consistent sides and have good records in England.

Then I reckon Australia, NZ and Pakistan have a chance of winning the tournament if they make the semifinals.

Not sure SA have the quality anymore.

India I'd go with as winners. They have some clutch players, good experience and the wickets will probably turn more and get slower as the tournament progresses.

Borges

International Regular
All three of them bowled together in all three games against SA in November last year. Series was lost 2-1.
Jhye Richardson is a moderate upgrade over Cummins certainly, and also Hazlewood. Unless Starc hits peak form, he is the best Australian ODI bowler right now.