• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Gayle to Retire from ODIs after World Cup

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I can't be the only who isn't a fan of his stand and hit style. Always found it ugly to watch.
I tend to prefer elegant timers of the ball (my favourite modern West Indies batsman was Sarwan by a distance) so I know what you mean. But I have always been entertained by Chris Gayle.

I actually think he has maximised his talent superbly to have had the career he has and achieve what he has. I admire that he can hit the ball further and more consistently than anyone else I've ever seen with such minimal footwork.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
He's also a clever batsman, which people don't always give him credit for. He knows how to build an innings, there's a reason why he had two triple test centuries and is light years ahead of anyone else when it comes to making centuries in T20.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Never found his batting pretty, but when he got going, he could be quite awesome.

Tom Flint

International Regular
One of the best batsmen of this century. Good record across all 3 formats even though may have slightly under achieved in tests. Put the shorter form first the last few years but can't really blame him considering the life he lives now!

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
After that series it's hard to blame him. He always a chance at obliterating a bowling attack but I haven't seen him do it that consistently in a long time

fredfertang

I appreciate that not everyone can be a Paul Collingwood, but it does surprise me that he is not a bit more mobile than he seems to be

mr_mister

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous. If he was only a tiny bit less effective than he is at clubbing boundaries he'd be a liability. But he's produced some awesome results. he makes six hitting look easier than taking a single. I can't think of any other top order bat like this