• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Proposal towards reonciliation

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is my proposal to resolve the problems currently being experienced in the CW XI system. I don't expect everyone or even most to agree and accept my plan, but I urge that everyone considers it thoughtfully before arriving at a conclusion.
------------------------------------------------
Two main issues on the agenda:-

1) Election of Board Members
2) Player contracts

1) ELECTION OF BOARD MEMBERS
The Board should ideally be comprised of players with no investment in the CW XI (non-players), but as it is, both board members are performing the dual role. To many this introduces the potential of bias influencing decisions and that makes for an unhappy party.

My suggestion is that a casual survey be taken to gather the feelings of the CW XI, CW 'A' and CW 'B' players to get the current opinions on the Board as a whole and to assess the individual members (Reuben and myself). This will be taken into consideration and an additional member elected to the Board. This additional voice would preferably be a retired player or non-player to remove that area of potential bias.

Another person, preferably a CW player may then be elected as a moderator to Board meetings. That person would be informed of all selection and report back to the public in an attempt to ensure a thoughtful reasoning process. As such, for every selection suggestion or movement to drop a player, reasons must be listed by the relevant Board member. That reasoning will then be released by the moderator/observer for public scrutiny.

At the close of each tour a vote will be held to gauge the public opinion of the actions of the Board for the most recent assignment. That vote may or may not lead to another election to determine the third Board member and moderator.
---
2) PLAYER CONTRACTS
Players should be issued contracts of a minimum of one (1) tour to a maximum of three (3) tours. These contracts would possibly act in one or more of the following ways:-

a/ Contracted players get an immediate slot in the CW 'A' or 'B' team when not in CW XI service.
b/ Contracted players must play at least one international in every series (comprising of more than 5 matches) for which he or she is contracted and selected. This will ensure that every player in the touring party gets a chance to play.
c/ Touring parties must be chosen only from contracted players.
d/ Injured players may only be replaced by contracted players if available.

Personally I would suggest a/, b/ and d/ of the above options.

Thinking Process:
The reason for contracts is to ensure that the CWBCC has a decent pool of players at its disposal should another walkout occur. The contracts add some measure of job security to the CW players.

Such a contract would only be terminated under the following circumstances:

1/ Severe breach of CW XI rules and regulations.
2/ A unanimous decision by the Board which is accepted by a majority vote from the public.
3/ An appeal by the player which is granted by a unanimous vote of the CWBCC.

All contracted players will get some measure of playing time during the contracted expanse (ie one series, two series etc.). Only ten (10) central contracts will be granted (ie three tour contracts) and ten minor contracts (one or two tours) in addition.

------------------------------------------------
These suggestions are subject to modification and I welcome comments, criticism and suggestions. You may either post publicly here or e-mail to liam.camps@cricketweb.net

Alternatively I (Liam Camps/Mr Mxyzptlk) may be contacted via MSN - sportzfreak3@hotmail.com

Mr Mxyzptlk

The persons who should make every effort to attend the meeting are...

Neil - confirmed
Andre
Marc
Rich H.

As Reuben mentioned above, others who wish to participate may also do so.

11pm GMT tomorrow (16th January).

PY

International Coach
Will there be those little pyramid shaped munchies that there was at the Player's Dinner 2003?

Mr Mxyzptlk

lord_of_darkness said:
i thought andre retired?
Andre is part of the initiative of the rebel tour and he announced that he intends to retire, but has not officially done so as yet I believe.

Mr Mxyzptlk

PY said:
Will there be those little pyramid shaped munchies that there was at the Player's Dinner 2003?
It depends on how much our sponsor, the CW Bar, is willing to spend.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
It depends on how much our sponsor, the CW Bar, is willing to spend.
CW Bar is now solely sponsoring the rebels, so will be providing only them with refreshments in any meetings that go ahead.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I still feel that the board and the selection committee should be a serperate entity, and the selection committee should be on Non CW XI playing members....

I would love to be at the meeting but unfortunatley im at work....

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok after looking over the above closely i have decided what i would like to see.....

As for the contracts, i like the idea of having them, however i don't feel that cause you have a contract that you should be garaunteed a game, i mean this was the reason for the rebellion in the 1st place wasn't it??

I know that if from my case i was on the verge of the side and i was brought in because it was part of the contract that i had to play at least 1 game in the series, and the game i was brought in for we lost i would be very disspointed...

I think IF a selection committee was introduced you would not need to really worry about favouritism because they would be forced to pick the best team possible or they face the axe...

This is not saying that something similar to contracts could not be introduced...
I mean if at the start of each season or every 5 test series etc, you announced a top 20 CW XI players, so people know where they stand in the scheme of the system...

I also have another idea which could change the format of the CW system to an extent... (Geez im full of ideas ATM :P)
This idea would comprise of the CW 'B' team being abolished, and replaced with a regional format where players who are in the CW system would play for their region (ie. Aust-NZ, UK, SA-WI-Zim, Sub-Continent) up against the likes of Aus 'A' etc, then the CW 'A" side could be then used for the fringe players to go on tours to countries.....
Its just an idea and you can shoot it down if you like, but like i said ATM im full of ideas and thought i'd test the waters... :D

masterblaster

International Captain
Your proposal is something I like and I accept.

With these sorts of guidelines, I and many other players can look forward to having a great relationship with the CWBCC and its board members.

I wouldn't mind constructing a Players Association within the CWBCC, where someone who is in touch with the players can deal with these issues with a 'straight bat' and 'from the heart'.

A player to represent the players...

Andre

International Regular
Pending my retirement, I'm happy to take a position on the board as the non-playing member.

Cheers,

Andre.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
oh blewy the only reason we would be a bit hesistant to promote that format / change in the system would be , we would want to try and retain as much reality as possible like to simulate real life like.

( please object from negative comments here marc )

Mr Mxyzptlk

Your suggestion may be something for the future Blewy, but would take some time to initiatite at this point. I will keep it in mind though.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Other things that have come to mind as important

1/ Removal or decrease in status of non-active players

2/ Vote of confidence in board members

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Blewy said:
I also have another idea which could change the format of the CW system to an extent... (Geez im full of ideas ATM :P)
This idea would comprise of the CW 'B' team being abolished, and replaced with a regional format where players who are in the CW system would play for their region (ie. Aust-NZ, UK, SA-WI-Zim, Sub-Continent) up against the likes of Aus 'A' etc, then the CW 'A" side could be then used for the fringe players to go on tours to countries.....
Its just an idea and you can shoot it down if you like, but like i said ATM im full of ideas and thought i'd test the waters... :D
Actually a very good proposition. One small problem though - where would players who happen not to live in major cricketing countries go? I realise this is very minor, and the proposal might not even be accepted, but I'd like to take this up at an early juncture.