• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Development League Round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
CW Dev League Rnds 1 and 2 Results and Discussion

The results will be posted here for the following matches:

FC: Dev v Aus 'A'
FC: Eng 'A' v NZL 'A'

FC: SA 'A' v WI 'A'
FC: Minnows v Zim 'A'

OD: Dev v NZL 'A'
OD: Eng 'A' v Aus 'A'

OD: SA 'A' v Zim 'A'
OD: Minnows v WI 'A'

FC: Dev v NZL 'A'
FC: Eng 'A' v Aus 'A'

FC: SA 'A' v Zim 'A'
FC: Minnows v WI 'A'

OD: Dev v Aus 'A'
OD: Eng 'A' v NZL 'A'

OD: SA 'A' v WI 'A'
OD: Minnows v Zim 'A'

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Dev XI v Aus 'A' - Devs impress

A bright sunny day graced the launching of the development league at Hobart today. Celebrities such as Devil Ducky, Asoka DeSilva, John Ritter and JLO were spotted cheering on proceedings. Cricket stars as Cloete, Anthony McGrath and of course Ajit Agarkar also graced the historic occasion. The star attraction of course was the thrilling dual between the CW Development Team and the mighty Australia 'A' team. The day began on a happy note for the Devs as Marc71178 was not included in the starting XI.;)

The Toss:
The coin was flipped and both captains forgot to call. The umpires conversed and it was eventually decided to award the toss to JLO. However, after a strong appeal from Greg Blewett on the grounds of 'ignorance' the decision was overturned and the Aussies awarded the choice. They promptly sent the Dev XI in to bat.

The Game:
The game was off to an impressive start as Paid the Umpire smashed a good length delivery from Noffke out to boundary to start the contest. Play was then halted for 10 minutes as 12th man Marc71178 ran onto the field to collect the half empty bottle of Heineken which Paid had drunkenly carried onto the field of play in his back pocket.

Play resumed and the crowd was entertained by some scintillating strokeplay from Dev captain Andre, who posted the first 50 of the tourney. He was eventually bowled by a beauty from Hauritz, but and from there on, with some big hitting from the Umpire Money and solid support from Supah Freak, the Devs managed to reach the very respectable total of 319.

The Aussies batted and, after the early fall of Hussey, dominated taking the total 188/1 in 45 overs before Elliott was removed for 93. The innings then proceeded to collapse somewhat as the Australia 'A' closed on 309 all out. Hoggy snared 6/69 with a persistent spell of accuracy and swing.

A more solid batting performance from the Devs a second time around as Paid scored a classy 79 and Andre added to his first innings success with a hard fought 66. When Neil Pickup was bowled all over the place (after dragging on a ball which pitched 5 feet wide of the pitch) the score was 383 and Aus 'A' then needed 394 runs in 51 overs to pull off victory.

Indeed, the target was never likely to be reached and indeed it took a stroke filled hundred from first innings star, Elliott to save his team from defeat as the 5th day closed with the Australians on 206/7 still 188 runs behind.

The Award Ceremony:
Matthew Elliott was named Man of the Match.

Greg Blewett's statement on the state of the match at the close: "We blame the French.....and whoever sent those pies to our dressing room before the game. 'Secret admirer' my foot :P."

Summary:
Dev XI 319 (Andre 78; White 3/43)
Aus 'A' 309 (Elliott 93; Hoggy 6/69)
Dev XI 383 (Paid 79; Noffke 3/74)
Aus 'A' 206/7 (Elliott 100; Pickup 4/40)

Result: Match Drawn

Attachments

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Eng 'A' v NZ 'A' - A batsman's game

On a baking hot day at the roasting venue of Canberra, home of the ACT Comets and their World Famous Coach, Broncoman, the game between England A and New Zealand A was set to start. And start it did, although the 1st boundary took a while coming, the 1st ball of Silverwood's 2nd over being dispatched by Papps for 4, then followed by a half-track bouncer that cleared 'keeper Mark Wallace. Papps and his partner Craig Cumming then took the bowling apart, Papps smashing the commentry box window with a thumping lofted drive off Sliverwood. His entertaining knock of 35 was brought to an end when he played down the wrong line to Richard Johnson and was LBW.

This brought the masterful Tim McIntosh to the wicket. Sharing good partnerships with Jesse Ryder, Rob Nicol and Peter Fulton, McIntosh reached 82 before Cork got one to nip back in and bowl him. James Franklin walked to the wicket and very nearly went straight back, Umpire De Silva failing to give a plumb LBW shout from Cork. Tama Canning and Franklin then frustrated the England bowlers, Franklin caught brilliantly by Ian Ward at slip for 35, Canning to an equally brilliant catch by 'keeper Wallace for 75. The innings was ended on 433 when Ian Butler missed a straight one from Cork for a 27 ball 1.

England A's innings then started with a flurry of runs, Ian Ward belting Butler for 4 in his 1st 3 overs, though his opening partner Strauss was out to Franklin, brilliantly caught by Mason at cover point. Shah played some pleasing shots but Butler found some extra movement to bowl him for 8. Ian Bell then walked to the wicket and played brilliantly for 64. He an Ward added 81 before Ward was out to an unplayable ball from Mason. Troughton (60) and Shafayat (93) played wonderfully attacking innings to help England 'A' to within 46 runs of the NZ total - 387 all out.

NZ batted well again for 311/4 dec. and the match soon petered out to a draw with 90/1. McIntosh added to his first innings 82 with 80 in the NZ 'A' second. His efforts earned him the Man of the Match Award. The curator Major Harry stated after the match that he would concentrate on preparing more bowler friendly pitches for the next matches.

Attachments

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: Dev XI v Aus 'A' - Devs impress

The day began on a happy note for the Devs as Marc71178 was not included in the starting XI.;)
Thank God for that!

Play was then halted for 10 minutes as 12th man Marc71178 ran onto the field to collect the half empty bottle of Heineken which Paid had drunkenly carried onto the field of play in his back pocket.
My speed is my best attribute!

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Wow neil nice 4 wickets in the 2nd innings and hoggys bowling well..

andres battin well looking for the keepers spot..

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Hoggy 35.5-12-122-7
Me 33-6-92-5

Some support would be nice, lads ;)

I would also like to point out my stunning 15* in the first innings.

PY

International Coach
A PB in both batting and bowling Neil :P

*PY would like to congratulate Neil for his wonderful preformance*

:)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Sunday 1st June Match Results.

Sunday 1st June Match Results.

1st Match:

OD (50 Overs)
Dev XI v NZ 'A' at Sydney

Attachments

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
17 balls - I missed 3 by a mile, had 4 appeals turned down against me, took 1 good single, 2 risky ones and got 3 from misfields.

What a superb knock that wasn't!

3 useful overs with the batsmen all over the place, and a brilliant catch.

Back to 12th man for me I guess?

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Thanks for the runout Mxy!! :P

A poor day with the bat and only two catches...

NOT HAPPY!!:!( :!(

Mr Mxyzptlk

marc71178 said:
17 balls - I missed 3 by a mile, had 4 appeals turned down against me, took 1 good single, 2 risky ones and got 3 from misfields.

What a superb knock that wasn't!
Yep and the Anti-corruption Committee will be investigating it. No one can be that bad! :)
Thanks for the runout Mxy!!
You're most welcome. I try my best. I'm glad to see that someone appreciates my efforts. :P
NOT HAPPY!!
Be a team player. We won.
Back to 12th man for me I guess?
Your specialty.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
You're most welcome. I try my best. I'm glad to see that someone appreciates my efforts. :P

Be a team player. We won.

You'll keep!! :!( :lol:

BTW Who the heck is the 'Keeper?

Mr Mxyzptlk

You, Andre and occasionally I will be sharing the duties. You kept in the 5d and Andre in the OD. So you're likely to keep in the next 5D.

Mr Mxyzptlk

marc71178 said:
I assume from that that I won't be getting a turn in the 5 day game about to come?
If you continue to work in the nets, you may get to carry drinks. :D JK....everyone has a legit chance of selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.