• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A question of spin

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In the 4th Test against South Africa Tom Halsey took his first 10-wicket haul in Test cricket in his 9th Test. He now has 34 wickets in 9 Tests. The "number one" spinner in CWLand - Neil Pickup - took his first 10-wicket haul in the 3rd Test - his 54th. Pickup now has 217 wickets in 55 Tests.

Pickup now averages 30.41 in Tests.
Halsey averages 24.26.

The question is how strong Pickup's claim is to the number one spinner's spot, given the impressive returns of Halsey on the international stage.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Similar situation to Warne vs MacGill? In that when MacGill plays plays he almost always outperforms Warne, although Warne is the mainstay? Halsey has played just nine tests. He's a great guy and a great spinner but I think we'll see that average go up to around Pickup's mark if he was given a long run as lone spinner.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Halsey has played all of nine Tests. Give it time, and stop trying to make something of nothing.

Post reported.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Pickup's number one. IIRC, before this match, my average was almost exactly 30 (though I agree with DCYI, I don't see why we can't both play).

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I did, but only going on the nature of the pitch. Doesn't mean he's not good enough to play in front of Thomas, or Watt, or whoever isn't taking wickets. Your best players should always play.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I'm always a believer that wickets talk and if two spinners are taking wickets, while in the same team, there is no reason why they can't play together. But long term the performance of Mike Wilson might have major impact on how often they play together. The balance of a bowling attack, is as important as who are the form bowlers.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Halsey is a young gun, hes got abit of a way to go yet before he can lay claim to the number 1 spinner title. That said, i would like to see Pickup lift his game and take a huge haul next game.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The benefit of an opening batsman who can keep allows us to pick 5 bowlers provided some can bat well enough for to come in at 7 or 8.

Halsey IMO can do the job at 8 as a second spinner, and probably is better equipped to 8 then any of the front line seamers (note I'm not classing Wilson as that, but more of an all rounder)

ash chaulk

International Captain
marc71178 said:
The benefit of an opening batsman who can keep allows us to pick 5 bowlers provided some can bat well enough for to come in at 7 or 8.

Halsey IMO can do the job at 8 as a second spinner, and probably is better equipped to 8 then any of the front line seamers (note I'm not classing Wilson as that, but more of an all rounder)
agree with all of that

Travis_Teh

International Regular
Halsey can bat when needed. Blue have often gotten out of trouble from a decent Halsey innings.

Would be awseome to play 4 bowlers if someone like Wilson is good enough to be the 5th bowler batting from 6 or 7 as a geniune allrounder.
Obviously, Mork/Mamesh keeper's who open is a huge plus.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
age_master said:
Halsey is a young gun, hes got abit of a way to go yet before he can lay claim to the number 1 spinner title. That said, i would like to see Pickup lift his game and take a huge haul next game.
5/24 good enough?