• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England 'A' in CWLand

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Cricket Web Green v England A
at CWBCC Stadium

England A have truly made the CWBCC Stadium their home during these couple of days, as they lined up their second innings victory of the week with a dominating batting performance. After winning the toss and opting to field under ominous skies against a famed Green opening pairing, Rob Malone and Don Lezama nearly proved them wrong by adding 58 for the first wicket, and batting Saj Mahmood and Stuart Broad out of the attack. However, second change bowler Rikki Clarke provided the breakthrough by having Lezama hole out to cover, and though his wide line cost many runs, it also caused Malone to perish in the same fashion some moments later. Belligerent innings from Nick Scott and Ben Vaughan gave the Greens some hope, but their batting style was too aggressive, which spinner Gareth Batty exposed - he grabbed the wickets of Vaughan, Bharanidharan, Gaukroger and Goughy en route to figures of four for 75, while Clarke ended the innings as he had started it - by taking the wicket of Rob Hing for 58.

Hing, the top scorer of the innings, proved much more useful with bat than ball. Though he got the numbers one and three out, his off breaks were largely cannon-fodder, as Robert Key and Ravinder Bopara feasted on toothless opening bowling to add 160 for the first wicket. As if that wasn't enough, Owais Shah, Vikram Solanki and Rikki Clarke all provided scores in the 30s, before a spell from Xavier Rose had England A in a spot of trouble at 393 for 6. However, Jamie Dalrymple paired up with Gareth Batty to batter the Greens into submission - the two added 148 for the seventh wicket, Dalrymple making 94 and Batty 72, and though the Green seamers Cameron, Mitchell and Goughy managed to clean up somewhat, Liam Plunkett was still allowed to make 31 from number nine as England A totalled 597.

Facing the prospect of making 312 just to make England A bat again, the openers did not fare nearly as well against the new cherry. Both Rob Malone and Don Lezama were caught in the extended slips region against Saj Mahmood, before Scott and Vaughan once again launched into their slicing batting. Solanki persisted with five slips for most of the innings, a tactic which cost plenty of runs, but was rewarded occasionally - such as when Vaughan defended the ball to cover point and set off for a single. Solanki was onto the ball in a flash and ran out Scott for 84, the fifth wicket of the innings, and though Rose and Goughy bashed 65 for the eighth wicket, it was just not enough to make England A worry about batting.

Cricket Web Green 283 all out
England A 597 all out
Cricket Web Green 301 all out
England A won by an innings and 13 runs
Man of the Match: Gareth Batty

Attachments

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Not likely the look of this England A side..

Hey Hakon any chance we could have links to the website instead of attachments?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
In other news, England A is to appear in CW County Court next week, for assaulting every single side thus far in the CW Dev League...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
Not likely the look of this England A side..

Hey Hakon any chance we could have links to the website instead of attachments?
Not as long as I'm running matches. I don't have a clue how to upload.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Every game I see, I get even more frustrated. I`d really love a chance at the Poms at some stage. The training camp has been good, but I`d be lying if I said watching my team go down twice, and then others, wasn`t frustrating. C`mon Colts, show `em how it`s done! :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
broncoman said:
England A dominating...
I think it's fair to say that the results so far show us to be exactly what we are, a developing nation.

As such our reserves aren't anywhere near as good as those of a bigger nation, especially when the main players and 'A' players aren't there.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Devastating to lose by so much, but personally happy with my efforts.

Might need to tone down on the slogging a bit, though.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Colts may be without their top playing seamers, but we're not out of it yet, Ash. :p

CW Colts to play Eng 'A'

MJ Pitt
SJ Burke (wk)
G Nayak
DP Towns (c)
S Jasotharan
JB Malthus-Howell
AS Das
TB Bowman
DK Rai
TV Weber
CD McKern

12th Man: DJ Comley
13th Man: JP McNamara

Thomas, Hancock, Bharat and Wright all unavailable.

Last edited: