• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England 'A' in CWLand

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Loony BoB said:
Thomas, Hancock, Bharat and Wright all unavailable.
Normally I'd go 'booo!' and lament the loss of Thomas, Kyle and Resha but really, it's time for an upset. One damn CW team needs to get up, and who better than the Colts? Time to get our game on!

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
England A report

Kabir Ali has suffered from torn knee ligaments during training and is out for the remainder of the tour. The ECB have called up Jon Lewis as replacement.

In other news, the England A management announced the side to face Colts tomorrow:

AN Cook
RS Bopara
EC Joyce
*VS Solanki
R Clarke
AGR Loudon
+CMW Read
AG Wharf
LE Plunkett
SI Mahmood
JM Anderson

ash chaulk

International Captain
would love to see you prove me wrong towns statistics show the colts arnt as strong as the other clubs yet

ash chaulk

International Captain
hmm yes.... ill agree but from that card i wasnt playing so i dont really understand the situation behind that game :P

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Scorecard
Commentary

(moved by wishes of Cloete :p )

Cricket Web Colts v England A
at Goffmouth Park

The Colts shook England A somewhat, and took them to a second innings, but ultimately the menacing new-ball spell of Sajid Mahmood on the dark first afternoon proved the clincher at Goffmouth. Vikram Solanki had chosen to have first use of a fine wicket in good weather, and the Colts' seamers toiled without success - conceding 86 for the first wicket, when Tarick Weber broke through with his eighth delivery for the Colts to have Alastair Cook caught in the deep. However, that was the Colts' only wicket in the morning sesion, and though wickets slowly followed, England A always managed to find vital partnerships. Alex Wharf continued his fine form with the bat, adding 59 in a masterful stand with Rikki Clarke, and though the spinners broke through at the end and Weber marked his debut by taking five for 92.

What followed must be said to be Sajid Mahmood's best moment with the new ball in England colours. As James Anderson was taken about for runs and bowling erratically, Mahmood got the ball to swing away from the batsmen, causing disarray in the Colts' top order. Pitt (caught Read 8), Burke (bowled 10), Nayak (c Clarke 5) and Jasotharan (c Plunkett 4) all were victims on the first evening, and he also managed to trap James Malthus-Howell with a yorker to end a 36-run stand between him and Daniel Towns. After brief cameos from Arunava Das (27) and Dan Rai (25), the Colts were left to bat once again, as Solanki enforced the follow on.

This time, Colts fought back better. After Anderson had gone through Burke's defence, Matt Pitt and Gary Nayak embarked on their bowler domination - slogging Anderson and Mahmood out of the attack, the pair added 87 quickly, before Pitt was lbw to Wharf. Then followed another middle order collapse, including a Jasotharan golden duck, and Colts were 147 for 6 - and staring the possibility of an innings defeat in the eye. However, Tom Bowman stuck around with Nayak to make 36, and despite the other innings coming to an all too brief end, Nayak managed an unbeaten 121, out of 246.

Bowman did have a much better day this time around than on his first day of cricket. With little pressure, he got the balls to zip in the right area, showing genuine seam bowling talent - both Cook and Joyce perished to outside edges landing either in the slips or in Stephen Burke's safe pair of gloves. However, Vikram Solanki and Rikki Clarke added 49 for the fourth wicket to take England A to the brink, and despite a late slog by Solanki off Nayak, England A eased to a six-wicket win.

England A 341 all out
Cricket Web Colts 152 all out
Cricket Web Colts 246 all out (following on)
England A 58 for 4
England A won by six wickets
Man of the Match: Sajid Mahmood

Attachments

Last edited:

wrangler203

School Boy/Girl Captain
England A continue to sweep all before them...*sigh*. Personal performance aside, that wasnt a very good perfomance for us, I must say. The fact that we had to follow on says it all for me really..But on a selfish note, happy to get my fourth century for the Colts:D. My bowling seems to be getting better and better :(

Loony BoB

International Captain
Ack, a typical bad batting display and possibly our worst ever middle order collapse. It's kind of sad when McKern (even in form!) makes as many runs as #4, #5, #6 and #7 combined in the second innings. Having said that, the guys did well against a strong side, Rai and Weber in particular standing up and if only our batsmen had runs on the board, the seamers could have continued the trouble they put on the poms in the second innings. Good stuff by Pitt and, in particular, Nayak.

Best of luck to CW Black!

Majin

International Debutant
Batting collapse let us down again, it's been a problem all season, really. All it needed was someone in the middle order to stick around with Gary in the second dig and it could have been a different story, fantastic knock from him. All It needed it the first innings was anyone to stick around, really. But again there are positives, we at least managed to take them into a second innings, Tarick with a 5-fer on debut is a fantastic effort, New seamer Bowman showed some promise in the second innings, some good runs from the lower order bats as well. Good for me to nick 25 runs and take three wickets in the first innings. Lot to build on for next season, looks good for the Colts.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
good game lads nice to see Pitty getting in the runs, and Nayak had a brilliant innings!
stoked to get a 5fer on colts debut, hope its a sign for next season.
nice one Colts!