• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If you want to do something, why not give it meaning?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Reference coaches:

Would it not be far more realistic if the coach were to be able to actually help players improve aspects of their game.

ie someone like Moerk wishes to improve his attacking shots, so asks for extra work in that which in turn increases his FC S/R after a while of looking at it.

A spin bowler wants to look into his accuracy, so gets an extended time on that, which might reduce economy rate but increase his strike rate?

Of course it wouldn't just be able to be used to improve a players stats, there'd have to be some sort of pay-off (ie if an all rounder wanted to do some specific work on his batting, his bowling would suffer from the neglect of training it)

Now if this sort of thing were brought in (perhaps starting off in Dev Cricket with each dev side getting a coach or 2 to help the side) then individuals who are active will get the benefit, as they'd be the ones who actually ask for the training.

Of course different dev sides would want slightly different things for their coach, but the main point of it would it actually have some meaning, as well as giving players the chance to look at where they're in need of fine tuning.

Not sure who would be the coaches, but maybe some senior players might relish the chance to play fewer games but look into a new career for after retirement?

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
That's a nice idea.

It's not really ready to be put into practise yet, but it's a base that I think should be built on, and taken further.

Nice work Marc.

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
Nice idea, seems like it might be hard to do effectively right now, it might work better if and when we start using Neil's sim.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Have to admit I'm not very au fait with Neil's sim - but am sure that something simple enough could be implemented in the current regime, with a look to modifying it when things change.

kears_falcon_9

International Debutant
I dont like it. Even if people get worse at a skill when they improve the other. I think the players will get to good at certain aspects and the game will start going downhill. Then again i could be totally rong and typing utter crap!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As I said via email. I'm not willing to give the coach those powers yet. The role has just been introduced and the idea is to get people acclimatized to it first.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It was introduced a fair while back actually, or are you ignoring the previous incarnation.

It was the contempt that your response showed that made me decide to make a suggestion to the general players - see what they thought of it, since it was once a democracy...

Mr Mxyzptlk

marc71178 said:
It was the contempt that your response showed that made me decide to make a suggestion to the general players - see what they thought of it, since it was once a democracy...
Forgive me for re-arranging your reference quote...

The reason for the "contempt" was me being utterly fed up of being accused of basically making you a scapegoat. My first few correspondences with you on the matter were perfectly polite and whatnot, but when you continued to insinuate how terrible the decision to drop you was, whilst also seemingly suggesting that it was unilateral... well... it just pushed me a bit too far.

Your last email was especially annoying.

I am sorry, however.
marc71178 said:
It was introduced a fair while back actually, or are you ignoring the previous incarnation.
Richard did nothing. All that was left when he left was contempt for the role of coach. Pratyush has gone a long way toward rectifying that image thus far.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The reason for the "contempt" was me being utterly fed up of being accused of basically making you a scapegoat.
Which meant that any attempt to actually make things mean something get completely dismissed out of hand.

Mr Mxyzptlk

marc71178 said:
Which meant that any attempt to actually make things mean something get completely dismissed out of hand.
The coach does mean something. You just choose not to accept that meaning. It may not be as "meaningful" as you like it, but I'm trying not to fast-track things, especially after what happened with Richard.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No, meaningful would allow them to help players improve.

This most definitely does not.

It is also incidentally the same remit given to Richard...

Mr Mxyzptlk

marc71178 said:
Cunning sidestep of the other issue.
Sidestep of what? I've already said that there will be no further powers assigned to the coach at this time. Don't act like I haven't addressed that point several times via email as well as on the forum.

The fact remains that the coach serves about as much "purpose" as anything else in the system geared toward interactivity. You're the only person who seems to have a serious issue with it, and just because you're the most vocal person on here does not change that fact. That is all.

Loony BoB

International Captain
There is no negative aspect of the way that a Coach has been implemented so far, at least not that I can see. Anyone can feel free to point them out.

I think it would indeed by nice to figure out a way for players to improve, though - hence the thread that Age linked to earlier in the thread. To make it so that only players in the international team would be capable of improving though (ie through the international team coach) would be a problem. If we actually implemented the Coach in a way that he could improve a team, we should certainly get it so that players not on the international side could also improve.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Loony BoB said:
If we actually implemented the Coach in a way that he could improve a team, we should certainly get it so that players not on the international side could also improve.
That was the whole point I was trying to make - bring it in with the dev league sides and actually have it mean the thing it's called.