• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zimbabwe in CWLand

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
We didn't invite them, the ICC assigned them and we'll be fined if we reject them.
Ah, the spineless boards of cricket control...besides, wouldn't the ICC fine us if we fielded a second-string side, too? I'm sure that's why the ECB forced Vaughan to go...

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Oh but we are. We're part of international cricket and thus governed by the supreme body that is the ICC.
As that is the case, why aren't tours made official before about five days before they start? Surely they should be planned at least a year ahead...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Samuel_Vimes said:
As that is the case, why aren't tours made official before about five days before they start? Surely they should be planned at least a year ahead...
You clearly have no concept of CW time.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Given that we are governed by some variant of the Ten-Year Plan (sounds like Chinese planned economy...), surely there must be a list of forthcoming tours somewhere, which is made official to the general public? And that has NOTHING to do with CW time at all, as the Ten-Year Plan lasts till 2009!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Samuel_Vimes said:
Given that we are governed by some variant of the Ten-Year Plan (sounds like Chinese planned economy...), surely there must be a list of forthcoming tours somewhere, which is made official to the general public? And that has NOTHING to do with CW time at all, as the Ten-Year Plan lasts till 2009!
Surely you realize how pedantic you are being. :p Hate to ruin the illusion, but it's just a game...
:blink: :p

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
But Mr Pickup, you already expressed to me that you won't be available to play, thus you're being rested in the Harmison/Flintoff sense.
I'd rather you let me make the statement than continue with your Malcolm Speed & Robert Mugabe cover-up-and-love-in.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Neil Pickup said:
I'd rather you let me make the statement than continue with your Malcolm Speed & Robert Mugabe cover-up-and-love-in.
No one is actually stopping you.

Cloete

International Captain
I don't think it's fair if we rest players who don't want to be rested. If the ICC has assigned us to play Zimbabwe, then I want to play Zimbabwe. I don't want to be rested just because they're a weaker team.

If it was real life then tehre's no way in hell I'd play, I'd be one protesting. But it's just a sim and it has no effect on Zimbabwe or Mugabe.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Cloete said:
I don't think it's fair if we rest players who don't want to be rested. If the ICC has assigned us to play Zimbabwe, then I want to play Zimbabwe. I don't want to be rested just because they're a weaker team.
Neil's not being rested because it's a weaker team though, he's being rested to try and limit what he says about the tour and the morality of it.

Cloete

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Neil's not being rested because it's a weaker team though, he's being rested to try and limit what he says about the tour and the morality of it.
Yeah I know.... I was responding to most of Jamee's suggestions.

Mr Mxyzptlk

marc71178 said:
Me a few posts above said:
No one is actually stopping you.
He's free to speak, but he's already communicated that he's not going to play.

Mr Mxyzptlk

ash chaulk said:
i wouldnt mind sharing the load if you decided to give another player a go
That would make little sense, seeing as you just started playing ODI cricket and have done well so far.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
how cool would it be iif mugabe came on and read these forums and saw how passionate we all felt about it and stopped his regime.

well i don't really understand the regime, cos i don't watch the news.

so as if i wouldn't play.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have made myself unavailable for the one day series. I stand firmly behind Neil's and Sam's stand and am backing them all the way. While I appreciate this is only a 'sim' I consider it to be 'realistic'. I can't see how some of these players will take a stand against Nikhil and say it is fun because it makes the 'sim' more realistic than they say "If this was real life I would not play, but it is only a sim." I find that disapointing.

While I have possibly given up a chance to return to the one day side and possibly the vice captaincy, I could not live with myself if I agreed to play, and I hope that other players will respect my decision.