• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Salary Cap and Contracts

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I just thought I’ll post my finding so we can discuss what the best possible salary cap for the league. I based my research on the main skills of players, as IMO with the sim secondary skill have very minimal impact on performance. I think this has been shown by the fact that the three players with the highest main skills are dominating the league; Goughy, Kennett and Hoy. As well as the keepers who have considerable gap in their main skills then outfield players.

I have also include the overall stats, in the excel sheet, for those who do consider secondary skills to be important. But take in account that team with higher overall stats just show they got more experienced players, as older players had more points to allocate. So if we base our salary cap on overall stats, then all we will be basically doing is spreading experienced players rather then talent.

Top 20 Players (Highest Skill)

Swell - 543 pts
Fury – 509 pts
Central – 493 pts
Western – 476 pts
Power – 472 pts
Stallions – 452 pts

Clearly as you can see there is a massive gap between the squads when it comes to players main skills. For quick reference these are the overall skills (excluding outfield players keeper stats), Swell (790), Fury (773), North (766), West (742), Central (734), Stallions (711).

As you can see Stallions got a pretty raw deal on both counts and Fury and Swell have got a bit of an advantage on both counts as well. A bit of this has to do with player inactivity and changes in stats at the start of the season, but the trends where already there before. Also the numbers might change bit after the camp, but again I don’t think the trends will change much.

My suggestion for a salary cap is that we use the main skills of players as their salary rating so to speak. So the salary will be within the 500-520 mark depending on the changes after the camp and improvements in the last quarter. This way teams can still improve slightly, but are also forced to help the struggling teams out. Which should in turn even out the competition.

With player contracts I think it’s a good idea so captains know which players they have to re-sign. I think there should be a max of a three year contracts, as three seasons in a league such as this is a long time.

Thoughts?

Attachments

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Im interested to see what the overall stats looked like at the start of the season.

I have no idea what the situation is, but I would hate for a team to get penalized for good performances, tactics and keeping their players active.

For example you have the Swell as the top point team, however 8 of the 20 highest performance points accumulators in the league are Swell players. That is due to tactics and open football

Whats the point in performing well and getting stats increases only to run into a salary cap? Same with keeping your players active?

Also the signup process. The Swell waited and passed on a number of players until a player came along we wanted. If Id have take the 1st player to come along then our numbers would be lower. Again I think its silly to be penalized for running the team well.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
My idea with the sign up in the future is that they players don't come under the salary cap until the next season, as what happens in most leagues when a players signs mid way through season. So you can still pick your best players possible for your team.

The idea of the salary cap is not to penalize teams for good performances, its to even up the competition. Im sure you'll admitt that the competition is not very even at all. Also with more even comp we will see how much better tactic will impact on performances. ATM the performances are basiced on which teams have had the better sqauds. There have been many matches this season where some teams have out played other tactics, but they haven't had the players to make the most of a tactic advantage. With a salary cap tactics will come a lot more important with a more even competition.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Just a note i am looking at a way to even up the current points, as with my first suggestion teams like Swell and Fury might have to drop a lot of players. I'm looking at adding a players 2nd highest skill as part of their rating. Something like this (Main Skill plus Half of 2nd skill). These would be the team ratings from that:

Swell - 618
Fury - 598
Central - 572
Western - 570
Northern - 560
Stallions - 534

So with a cap of say 600 or so, the sides would only transfer a couple player to improve the balance. So you still get rewarded for good performances during the season. Its mainly just about evening up the league not forcing teams to get rid of their best players or cut half their squad.

Attachments

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
When the season started these were the total skill points for each team

EAS- 725
NOR- 717
WES- 714
ISL- 705
CEN- 683
SOU- 656

Now the issue of only taking primary skills into accout is deceptive. The skill situation was well known and players had a chance to choose their own stats.

Yeah, ESMS doesn't really use secondary skills that much, so it makes sense to have a solid specialty. I don't think it'd be fair for you to change though, you've always been the striker, but if you Greg really wants to be a striker then so be it.
Original post can be found Here

There was the opportunity for all players to readjust their stats before the season started after there had been time to practice.

Many players took advantage of this opportunity to tweak their players into more single skill specific players. Good captaincy in this game is about trying to find the right players and balance. Some teams did, others didnt.

Since the begininning of the season players and teams have improved due to good performances and tactics, retaining player activity and selective sign ups.

A salary cap isnt a bad idea but the proposed system just seems like penalizing teams that have done well this season.

As this post started, the teams (apart from the Stallions) were quite evenly matched coming into the season.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
You do make some fair points, but personally i think a salary cap should be based on the sim and adding both the 1st and 2nd main skills gets the best of both worlds. But if majority prefer to use just the overall stats, then its easy to implement.

I take your word for it that they were correct stats from the start of the season (as im too lazy to check). I was going to look into the that to get a better idea of improvements anyway.

To not penalizing teams that have done well its just a matter of increasing the cap higher level, so minimum changes to the sqauds. But enough to even it out, to help a team like Stallions. Fair enough the rest of us started at the same level, but they didn't and they have struggled as result of it. Also by the looks of it Central had a fair disadvantage and Fury had a fair advantage at the start.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
You do make some fair points, but personally i think a salary cap should be based on the sim and adding both the 1st and 2nd main skills gets the best of both worlds. But if majority prefer to use just the overall stats, then its easy to implement.

I take your word for it that they were correct stats from the start of the season (as im too lazy to check). I was going to look into the that to get a better idea of improvements anyway.

To not penalizing teams that have done well its just a matter of increasing the cap higher level, so minimum changes to the sqauds. But enough to even it out, to help a team like Stallions. Fair enough the rest of us started at the same level, but they didn't and they have struggled as result of it. Also by the looks of it Central had a fair disadvantage and Fury had a fair advantage at the start.
I would agree something needs to be done to help the Stallions. They started from a weak position and then due to inactivity and poor performances have weakened still further.

The rest of us are fine IMO. All started in the same ballpark and after that its the changes throughout the season.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I still the league would be better if we had six even teams, but as you point out its hard to do with penalizing teams that have done well this season. But im sure there is way to get around it, as it a lot better for the league to have six even sides. IRL have been forced to cut players to even out the league through salary caps. So its happened before, but its about finding a way that dramatically penalize teams for having good season.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I still the league would be better if we had six even teams, but as you point out its hard to do with penalizing teams that have done well this season. But im sure there is way to get around it, as it a lot better for the league to have six even sides. IRL have been forced to cut players to even out the league through salary caps. So its happened before, but its about finding a way that dramatically penalize teams for having good season.
Well as I pointed out, apart from the Stallions they were all more or less even coming into the season. Poor performance from some teams doesnt mean the others should be punished.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
I would agree something needs to be done to help the Stallions. They started from a weak position and then due to inactivity and poor performances have weakened still further.

The rest of us are fine IMO. All started in the same ballpark and after that its the changes throughout the season.
Im with Kev here.. If his stats are correct in what he says they were at the start of the comp then IMO they were pretty even...

That would mean that tactics have played a fair part in the increases.....

I definatley agree with the suggestion on improving the Stallions but like Kev, i believe the rest of the teams are all pretty even, you just have to look at the form of ur own boys in recent weeks Tharmi to prove this...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
All that effort for nothing oh well it was interesting to see where the strengths and weakness of sides. Helped in the last couple rounds anyway.

So what do you think we should do to help Stallions then, if thats the only problem?

EDIT: I noticed a lot of their overseas players are pretty averages, so that could be the first thing to look at.

Last edited:

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
All that effort for nothing oh well it was interesting to see where the strengths and weakness of sides. Helped in the last couple rounds anyway.

So what do you think we should do to help Stallions then, if thats the only problem?

EDIT: I noticed a lot of their overseas players are pretty averages, so that could be the first thing to look at.
dont get me wrong, i think salary cap/contracts are a good idea still as i think it will ensure teams remain even...

As for the Stallions, im not sure.. i guess we could possibly increase the skill of their International players?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

Yeah. Something should be done to help them. Not only did they start with low points they had points tied up in a reserve keeper in Hingston. Who was then inactive.

Overseas players are a good place to start.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
You can't run a salary cap based on skill points, they go up with performances. Soon enough teams like Swell won't be able to keep their captain because he's too good.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Blewy was looking into basicing it on an assigned value rather then players skills.

Last edited:

ash chaulk

International Captain
naa you could revaluate the players values and cap sizes at the end of each season... this is where players will need to be traded to keep your team under it and even out squads..... BUT what about when new players join?

Loony BoB

International Captain
How to help the Stallions? Give us a striker with 30+ points. :p Looking at the goals-against column, our defence is on par with Western Dynamos but if you look at the goals-for column then you realise where we're failing miserably.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
How to help the Stallions? Give us a striker with 30+ points. :p Looking at the goals-against column, our defence is on par with Western Dynamos but if you look at the goals-for column then you realise where we're failing miserably.
Something is in the process of being done already.. Hopefully have something fixed tonight...