Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Week 21: Nice; Düsseldorf; Cremona

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Open de Nice Côte d'Azur II
    PTA 250 - Quarter Finals - Nice, France - Clay (Red)

• Jefferson Drake has charged through the third set of his quarter final against Javier Villaneuva to advance to the semi finals as outright favourite in Nice. After a whole swathe of other results went his way, Drake found himself in a bitter struggle against the highly rated young Spaniard who made it clear he'd come to play. Despite failing to convert either match point in the second set, Drake was not distracted from his goal of completing a perfect Roland Garros warm up event as he had too much in the tank for the failing eighth seed; blasting him off the court with some heavy hitting and great athleticism in a well-deserved 6-4, 6-7(4), 6-1 win. He now meets Dutch qualifier Maarten Berg on Friday after he ousted fourth seeded Italian Carlo Amato 6-1, 6-4.

• But the biggest surprises came in the bottom half as two big favourites were beaten. First, sixth seed Pierre L'Estrange, having dropped just four games all week, was trounced by wildcard entrant Christopher Durand love and three. Then later, second seed and World No. 18 Miroslav Brdar collapsed in a heap against Brett Read. In a bizzare contest, the World No. 141 announced he was back as he came from a break down twice in a tense third set to send the match to a deciding tiebreaker. Indicative of his play all match, Read only made one winner in the tiebreaker as he sought to grind the lanky Croat down with good returning. The tactic worked; Brdar made key unforced errors when he looked to have the point won as he struggled to pass the dogged Read. For the second time this week, the West CWLander played gutsy tennis when up against it to secure a shock 7-5, 3-6, 7-6(4) win.

• Seeded players out: Carlo Amato; Miroslav Brdar; Pierre L'Estrange; Javier Villaneuva.

Haha finally a non-QF choke!

All CW-final ftw.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

ARAG World Team Cup II
    PTA 250 - Friday (Day 6) - Düsseldorf, Germany - Clay (Red)

• West CWLand are through to tomorrow's final in Düsseldorf with a tremendous come-from-behind win over Spain. No. 2 Heath Davis had his back against the wall knowing a loss would mean the West's demise, but he put a good ol' fashioned hurtin' on Ion Andueza in a destructive 6-2, 6-1 win. The World No. 29 produced his finest tennis this week as he hit Andueza off the court to win in just over an hour. With it all on the line, makeshift pairing Jojo Mustard and Sven Oxenstierna needed a good performance to secure a 2-1 win. Against highly rated duo Andueza and Sanchez Emelio, the pair got off to a slow start but stormed away from 4-4 in the first to claim eight games on the trot to seal an impressive victory 6-4, 6-0. It is a much-needed confidence boost for Mustard after a poor week ahead of today's Roland Garros draw.

• East CWLand bow out with an 0-9 record after Matt Bre and Roy Daniels copped a hiding from Manfried Manz and Walter Schiller. In a fitting end to a horrific week for the poverty-stricken nation, Bre and Daniels fell 1-6, 0-6 to give the East a record of 4-18 in sets for the week. It wasn't enough for the Germans as the USA secured a 3-0 win over Italy to advance to tomorrow's final against West CWLand.

FRIDAY
    West CWLand def. Spain 2-1
    Hungary def. Serbia 3-0
    Germany def. East CWLand 3-0
    United States def. Italy 3-0

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Wahey. Back on court, and tearing up some poor sod. Now to lose to someone ranked outside the top 300 next time I take to the court.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Trofeo Paolo Corazzi II
    PTA Challenger Tour - Semi Finals - Cremona, Italy - Hard

• Scotland Rivers' French Open preparation will finish tomorrow after the top seed routined seventh seed Akihiko Veno in his most impressive performance of the week. Finally putting a complete match together after a fortnight of dodgy performances, Rivers cruised past the Japanese No. 2 in a hefty 6-2, 6-1 win. The forehand was on and his movement was lively as Veno lacked the firepower to match Rivers' aggressive game in a devastating defeat.

• Unfortunately for Rivers' compatriot Rob Bowenburg, his promising week came to an end against tough Latvian slugger Ivars Emsis. Bowenburg started well and managed two breaks of the big Latvian's serve in the first set, but struggled to create chances from there with just two break points in the next two sets. He couldn't save either of them as the third seed snuck a couple of breaks of his own in a dull 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 win.

• Seeded players out: Rob Bowenburg; Akihiko Veno.

Open de Nice Côte d'Azur II
    PTA 250 - Semi Finals - Nice, France - Clay (Red)

• In a last ditch attempt to be ready for the French Open, Jefferson Drake has bounded into the final in Nice with a crushing 6-1, 6-0 win over an abysmal Maarten Berg. In one of his strongest weeks since coming back from injury, Berg hadn't dropped a set all week and boasted wins over Sergio Joaquin and Carlo Amato. But Drake, who survived a three-set quarter final against Javier Villaneuva in the quarter finals (sometime in March...), was irresistible as he destroyed Berg inside of an hour with dominant tennis. While Berg was distinctly off his game, it was clear that Drake is primed for a Grand Slam assault as he trounced the Dutchman.

• His opponent will be Brett Read who won in straight sets to make his second PTA Tour final. Looking to end the brave run over local wildcard Christopher Durand, Read did what Patrick Pascaul and Pierre L'Estrange couldn't - he played error-free tennis. Durand was game for the most part, but Read had the polish and the cool mind as he put away both his set point opportunities with clinical forehand winners. After hardfought three-set wins in the second round and the quarters, Read's 6-4, 6-3 win provided welcome relief as he set up a trans-forum final against Drake.

• Seeded players out: None.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Does...does this mean maxum can still win the french?
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

Ooh....bring it Drake (Smitteh).

Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    Does...does this mean maxum can still win the french?
    Unless he's spent the last month and a bit training...

ftr I can't update the first posts with the draws right now because I've lost my mod powers to the subforum.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBloody Idiot View Post
    ftr I can't update the first posts with the draws right now because I've lost my mod powers to the subforum.
    That's probably my fault for telling James that I was receiving VM reports. He's clearly fixed that, but removed out mod powers for this sub-forum.

The irony is that Cribb still has mod powers despite having never simmed a CW Forumer World Cup game.

That's cool. Must have been pretty recent? I think I got one of those emails the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBloody Idiot View Post
    That's cool. Must have been pretty recent? I think I got one of those emails the other day.
    Was 3 or 4 days ago I think.

It's on like DK.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Good to make it into a final, feel a bit cheap and dirty though bullying some spuds. Just had to get off that clay though!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Good to finally get a win.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information