• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Week 18: Rome Masters [Blanco]

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yep you're right I can't be happier with my singles performance (soz Maxum in the doubles).

Davis should definitely be seeded at the French, the report said you've guaranteed a top 30 position regardless at what happens for the rest of the tournament.

Where is Bowenburg likely to move up to with this result?

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
You were going to be seeded anyway, but I did some calculations and I'm pretty sure a QF here will see Davis move to No. 28, a SF to No. 26, a final to No. 25 and a win to No. 22 (obviously a couple of them are unlikely).

The seedings are done after the Madrid Masters and I suspect you'll jump Emelio who is defending semi final points there and end up at around 26-27.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cheers, mate. Clearly, I'll not be beating the Clay Master on Clay. I've done bloody well to make it as far as I have and I'll go out on court to have a blast rather than with high expectations.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep you're right I can't be happier with my singles performance (soz Maxum in the doubles).

Davis should definitely be seeded at the French, the report said you've guaranteed a top 30 position regardless at what happens for the rest of the tournament.

Tough to say exactly because I don't know who above you is likely to drop points until I actually enter the results into the spreadsheet, but you'll end this week with 837 points with a quarterfinal exit (add 180 for a SF, etc.). That alone on this week's rankings would have had you at No. 62 but as I say there might be players above who have points to lose.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Tough to say exactly because I don't know who above you is likely to drop points until I actually enter the results into the spreadsheet, but you'll end this week with 837 points with a quarterfinal exit (add 180 for a SF, etc.). That alone on this week's rankings would have had you at No. 62 but as I say there might be players above who have points to lose.
Sweet mate, looking forward to the quarter final!

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Internazionali BNL d'Italia II
PTA Masters 1000 - Friday (Quarterfinals) - Rome Italy - Clay (Red)

• World No. 31 Heath Davis performed admirably, but was ultimately unable to outgun reigning Roland Garros champ Daniel Páez Blanco in their quarter final clash in the morning session. Davis needed a good start but didn't get it as Blanco broke immediately and went about putting the first set to bed in just over half an hour. When he went up a break in the second to lead 6-1, 2-0, Davis looked to be staring down the barrel for a humiliating exit. But in a resolute display, he finally began to find his top serving form and even managed to break back with a brave approach to the net and a putaway smash of an attempted lob. Holding on to take the set to a tiebreaker after saving two match points, Davis looked hopeful of taking the match to a decided as he surged to a 3-1 lead. However the Spanish second seed fought back well with some top quality returning to take six of the next eight points to secure a spot in the semis 6-1, 7-6(5).

• He will meet Sven Oxenstierna in the highest profile clay rematch of the Season I Roland Garros final as the West CWLander continued his tear through the third section with a straight sets win over Oneil Stewart. In a battle of two Grand Slam finalists, the step up in quality for Oxenstierna was obvious early as the athletic twelfth seed provided a stern test for the World No. 4. But after blowing three set points, the Jamaican missed the boat as Oxenstierna defended expertly in the tiebreaker and slammed home a clean backhand winner to convert just his first set point. From there it seemed as if the tough third round clash for Stewart yesterday hurt him as the twelfth seed collapsed in the second set as Oxenstierna, for the third straight match, dished out a bagel. His 7-6(5), 6-0 win puts him in possibly the best position to prevent the defending champion Blanco from claiming back-to-back titles and to gain a measure of revenge for his defeat in France last season.

• The dream run of qualifier Rob Bowenburg came to an end as he was defeated by Season I finalist József Boros of Hungary in straight sets. Despite the scoreline, Boros did not have the match all his way as Bowenburg repeatedly caused the Hungarian No. 1 trouble with an aggressive style the Hungarian hadn't met this week. Bowenburg's problem was clearly with the step up in class on clay; Boros is one of the best retrievers in the game and the serve that had worked so well this week fell by a good ten per cent. While he was shaky on serve, there were a whole bunch of positives for Bowenburg as he managed to match it with one of the best players in the world who was playing good tennis and the 4-6, 3-6 defeat hardly ended a fine week on a sour note. Boros now plays World No. 1 Jason Hall who continues to quietly mow his way through the draw with a straight sets win over Zoltán Varga the eleventh seed. Interestingly, the final four have yet to lose a set all week.

• Seeded players out:
    Oneil Stewart
    ;
    Zoltán Varga.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
PTA Masters 1000 - Friday (Quarterfinals) - Rome Italy - Clay (Red)

• Second seeds Heath Davis & Jojo Mustard have roared into the semi finals of the Italian Open with a straight sets pantsing of Mark Harmel & Yves Parmentier. While many expected an entertaining encounter between two in form teams on Court Pietrangeli, instead they were given a straight sets mauling as the Belgian pairing - fresh off two big wins - performed horribly against the two-time Grand Slam champs. Fast becoming the best doubles pairing in the world, the West CWLanders managed to combine brilliantly to erase some of Davis' earlier singles disappointment with a 6-0, 6-1 win over the insipid Belgian duo. It gets better for the second seeds as they avoided a clash with third seeds Hayden & Ross Onwye after the Moroccans were beaten 6-7(5), 5-7 by Artem Krohmal & Merab Shvelidze.

• No luck for fourth seeds Jefferson Drake & Martti Korpinen after the duo were beaten by throwaway doubles pairing Rasmus Olesen & Dmitry Orlov. The Danish-Russian pairing dropped the first set to the aggressive East CWLanders who attacked the net confidently to take advantage of the lesser volleying power of the two singles players. The unseeded duo stayed with the Australian Open finalists, though, and survived a late fightback from Drake and Korpinen to hold onto the second set in a tiebreaker. Having recovered from 2-5 to go to a tiebreaker, Drake and Korpinen should have felt confident going into the match tiebreaker. But a double fault from Drake and a volley from Orlov directed straight at Korpinen gave Olesen and Orlov a big lead early and they never gave it up as they advanced to a semifinal clash with Antonio Bachunelli & Jean-Alain Depuis 4-6, 7-6(3), [10-5].

• Seeded players out:
    Jefferson Drake &
    Martti Korpinen;
    Hayden Onwye &
    Ross Onwye

HeathDavisSpeed

Well, that was about as good as I dared hope for. Taking Blanco to a breaker in the 2nd - would have good to somehow drag it into a 3rd, but c'est la vie. Looking good in the doubles too. How far are we off being ranked world #1?

HeathDavisSpeed

Fair play to Heef. Clearly more dangerous on the surface than he wants to let on.
Well, given my past form on Clay...

Personally, I reckon this bodes very well for when I get onto a decent surface. If I'm playing this well on Clay, I can only imagine what my form would be like on a hard or grass court!

ripper868

International Coach

Awesome run Bowenburg, doubles will come good, let's hope our singles form runs into Roland Garros.

Mister Wright

Thought Davis might be a bit drained after a tough singles match, but spurred him on even more. Great stuff. Would be disappointing not to win the tournament from here.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
PTA Masters 1000 - Saturday (Semifinals) - Rome Italy - Clay (Red)

• Tomorrow's final will see a rematch of the Season I decider after World No. 4 Sven Oxenstierna failed in his attempt to avenge his Roland Garros defeat against defending champion Daniel Páez Blanco. After earlier in the day the World No. 1 Jason Hall fell for the second straight year at the semi final hurdle - this time to József Boros - Oxenstierna hoped the stage was set for a second upset. In an intruiging and very different encounter from the earlier match, two of the best baseliners in the game duked it out in a tight fight. Oxenstierna looked more positive than in his failed French Open last season, but struggled to pass Blanco like he has so many opponents in the past month. With the scores at 3-3, Blanco landed the first blow by working Oxenstierna off the court with a twenty-four shot rally which finished with a trademark top spin forehand to an empty court.
Serving out the first set, Blanco was dealt a blow early in the second as Oxenstierna converted a break point by preventing Blanco from passing him; the World No. 4 reaching a long way to get a racquet on a volley to take a 2-0 lead. But the Spaniard broke back immediately as Oxenstierna made a crucial mistake to give up a 40-15 lead. In a tense decider, Oxenstierna created chances before the rug was pulled out from under him as he sent a forehand long to give Blanco two break points at 4-4. The second seed needed just one as he drew an error from the Ox before going on to serve out the match and book a place in a second final in as many weeks 6-4, 6-4. Last year he edged out Boros 6-7(6), 6-3, 6-2 in the final and tomorrow contests it over five sets.

• Seeded players out:
    Jason Hall;
    Sven Oxenstierna.
  • Heath Davis & Jojo Mustard are looking virtually unstoppable in the doubles draw as again they laid waste to in-form opposition as they smashed Artem Krohmal & Merab Shvelidze. The Eastern Europeans had picked up some impressive wins this week, but had a dog of a day against the second seeds who trounced them 6-0, 6-1. The West CWLanders are massive favourites for the final with a games record of 36-7 this week but face a stiff test against local Antonio Bachunelli and veteran Jean-Alain Depuis. With a win over the top seeds this week and a 6-1, 6-0 scoreline of their own, they proved too good for Rasmus Olesen & Dmitry Orlov in their 7-5, 6-1 win.

• Seeded players out: None.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, that was about as good as I dared hope for. Taking Blanco to a breaker in the 2nd - would have good to somehow drag it into a 3rd, but c'est la vie. Looking good in the doubles too. How far are we off being ranked world #1?
Don't know yet. I might have to change up the rankings because there's only MS and GS, so we'll see.

Fair play to Heef. Clearly more dangerous on the surface than he wants to let on.

Should be a damp squib of a semi.
I tried to dress it up as much as I could. :dry:

Shocker of a tournament for the Drake.
Stinker week indeed.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
PTA Masters 1000 - Sunday (Finals Day) - Rome Italy - Clay (Red)

• Daniel Páez Blanco has claimed his second title of the year; defending the Italian Open with a 7-5, 3-6, 6-0, 6-2 win over fifth seed József Boros. After a close start in which both players looked evenly matched, the World No. 2 ensured back-to-back titles and Italian Open titles as he ran away with the victory in four sets.

• Seeded players out:
    József Boros.
  • In the doubles, second seeds Heath Davis & Jojo Mustard had torn through ordinary opposition this week but expected a step up in class against Antonio Bachunelli & Jean-Alain Depuis. Having lost just two games in their past two matches, the West CWLanders met an improved opposition - but only just. The French-Italian duo struggled to make an impression on the cohesive two-time Grand Slam champions who roared to victory 6-1, 6-1 to claim the title.

• Seeded players out: None.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Congratulations to Messrs. Davis and Mustard for a pretty outstanding week. I have no idea what the rankings say, but they've been the best doubles partnership in the world over the past six months (game time, not real time which takes us back to like Miami haha).

Final singles and doubles draws edited into the first two posts. :)