• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Subforum

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Thanks a lot to James and the staff for allowing us to get this.

I'm just looking for ideas from you guys as to what kind of threads you want to see made in here.

Basically the plan is to make one thread for each week of tennis which will include signups, draw sheets and results. That makes it a lot easier for me to follow what is going on, and for you guys to schedule your appearances. Do we want one for anything else (ie fixtures, rankings, etc.)?

Also open to suggestions on what you want to see in terms of fixturing. HDS has kindly offered to help out this season and we haven't quite worked how to split things up, but I'm interested in what you guys want to see. Vimes, for instance, recommended that to cut down on fatigue players are allowed to choose two Masters Series tournaments to skip without penalty.

David

International 12th Man
Great to see a Sub Forum, excellent work.

I think a fixtures thread would be great, as well as a rankings thread. Maybe a media thread if there is interest? Should be awesome.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Definitely think theres should be 3 seperate threads for Fixtures, Rankings and Media.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Yay subforum!

Agreed with the others on the suggested threads. One thread per week sounds good also or they'll all be empty. Possibly even one per month for the quieter months.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
A thread explaining the concept would be good. Ive seen the other thread but I still dont know anything about this.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think you need to retain ownership of the rankings & calculations SBI. I think where I can assist is in simming and writing up the challenger tournaments. That should take some of the weight off your shoulders but still ensure that the rankings are properly co-ordinated.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
A couple more suggestions:

1) A grass Masters series (Queen's?). Hate the stuff, but given tradition, the grass skills is not given enough weight and the season is too short.

2) Some other minor changes to the calendar. There's always some tournaments that go bankrupt etc. and it'll be nice to see some new countries. Suggestions: Budapest, Atlanta, Dallas, a different CWLand city, Perth, Tel Aviv, Oslo, Seoul.

3) Junior Davis Cup: offer to those who signed up either in the season or since July. In real life they only have one regional qualifier and a 16-team finals tournament. Can run this if you like.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
We'll run with a media, rankings and fixtures thread at the top of the board. There's one announcement to be made in the media thread which I think is good for the game.

As to Masters Series, which would make way for a grass event? I'm hesitant to get rid of Monte Carlo and am leaning towards Madrid.

And I'll get the fixtures sorted first and then look at relocating some tournaments. Indianapolis is already gone for Atlanta, I think.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
As to Masters Series, which would make way for a grass event? I'm hesitant to get rid of Monte Carlo and am leaning towards Madrid.
Hey, I didn't say toss out a hard court. 2 clay courts to 6 hard courts + 1 grass?!

I'd toss out Shanghai or Cincinnati (this also nicely removes the problem of travelling CWLand -> US -> CWLand). If you want to toss out Madrid move it back to Hamburg where it belongs.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Are there going to be any more non CW players? Can we all create some more?
Leave a chance for others to sign up, and if there aren't too many then go ahead. :)

I'd toss out Shanghai or Cincinnati (this also nicely removes the problem of travelling CWLand -> US -> CWLand). If you want to toss out Madrid move it back to Hamburg where it belongs.
OK, basically the grass schedule looks like this at the moment in July:

Jun 7 (Halle, Queen's)
Jun 14 (Den Bosch, Eastbourne)
Jun 21 (Wimbledon)
Jul 5 (Newport, Davis Cup QF)

If I want to make Halle or Queen's a Masters Series tournament, it needs to have a week to itself. That means Toronto gets turfed and downgraded to a 500 (and then Memphis to a 250) and is joined by another 250 on Aug 9.

The problem here is everything is landlocked as I can't have a Masters the week directly before or after a Grand Slam. That means either moving Roland Garros forward a week, or Wimbledon and the Davis Cup back a week - but that means so does the rest of the year.

I can now see why there's no grass MS tournament in real life :p .

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Leave a chance for others to sign up, and if there aren't too many then go ahead. :)

OK, basically the grass schedule looks like this at the moment in July:

Jun 7 (Halle, Queen's)
Jun 14 (Den Bosch, Eastbourne)
Jun 21 (Wimbledon)
Jul 5 (Newport, Davis Cup QF)

If I want to make Halle or Queen's a Masters Series tournament, it needs to have a week to itself. That means Toronto gets turfed and downgraded to a 500 (and then Memphis to a 250) and is joined by another 250 on Aug 9.

The problem here is everything is landlocked as I can't have a Masters the week directly before or after a Grand Slam. That means either moving Roland Garros forward a week, or Wimbledon and the Davis Cup back a week - but that means so does the rest of the year.
Yeah, see the problem.

Maybe have the grass court in FRC? (Though that'd involve stretching the grass season by 2-3 weeks, which sounds excessive.)

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Basically the changes so far are Atlanta, Nice, Kuala Lumpur, Prague & Palermo in for Indianapolis, Pörtschach, Delray Beach and Umag.

I wouldn't mind putting Copenhagen in or Seoul, but NFI where to switch them in.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Basically the changes so far are Atlanta, Nice, Kuala Lumpur, Prague & Palermo in for Indianapolis, Pörtschach, Delray Beach and Umag.

I wouldn't mind putting Copenhagen in or Seoul, but NFI where to switch them in.
Put the whole thing up and the rest of us can have a gander?

(Copenhagen is pretty hopeless because of weather, I agree...all of Europe want to host in July. Seoul could replace Bucurest, Stockholm or Basel?)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
right...think we may have to rename the Chairman's international in the Federal Republic though :D

2 tournaments in Switzerland (and maybe Sweden too) seems too much. 6 in France too. Switzerland makes sense in the current tennis world, but I bet one of them would go under a few years after Fed retires. Copenhagen has an indoor hall so could in theory replace any tournament (but perhaps not in summer). And Seoul on September 20 for Metz or Bucurest seems to make decent sense too.

country breakdown

USA 10 (finals, 2 masters, 500, 6 250)
France 7 counting Monaco masters (slam, masters, 4 250)
Germany 5 (wtc, 500, 3 250)
CWLand 3 (slam, masters, 250)
Australia 3 (slam, 2 250)
UK (slam, 2 250)
Spain 3 (masters, 2 500)
China 2 (masters, 500)
Italy 2 (masters, 250)
UAE 2 (exhib, 500)
Netherlands 2 (500, 250)
Switzerland 2 (500, 250)
Sweden 2 (250, 250)
Russia 2 (250, 250)
Canada masters
Mexico, Japan 500
Qatar, India, New Zealand, Malaysia, Thailand, Chile, Brazil, Argentina, Morocco, South Africa, Czech Republic, Portugal, Serbia, Romania, Austria, Croatia 250

"big" countries (top 30-odd economies of the world or top players) without a tournament: Ukraine, Poland, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Bulgaria, the Caribbean, Colombia, Indonesia.

Last edited: