• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CricketWeb Tennis - Season I

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Davis Cup (Day One) - Mar 6-8, Season I

Belarus evens against visitors
Davis Cup - Day One
Europe/Africa Zone I

Belarus and CWLand are level at 1-1 at the end of the first day's play in their Davis Cup Europe/Africa Zone I first round tie in Minsk, with Denis Isaev and Sven Oxenstierna taking four-set victories in their respective rubbers. Isaev, the world number 105, upset world number 14 Jefferson Drake - Drake not looking anywhere near as confident as he did in Delray Beach (where he won) as he crashed to a disappointing loss.

Isaev, the Belarus number one, looked untroubled in the first two sets as he raced to a commanding two-set to love lead. But Drake managed to rekindle some of his fire as he manufactured an authoratitive second set to close in on his lower ranked opponent. But the home town crowd was enough to help Isaev regain his composure and he again took control of the contest to race to a 3-0 lead in the fourth. Whilst Drake managed to break back, it wasn't enough as Isaev sealed a surprise 6-4 6-1 3-6 6-3 victory.

It was better news for the CWLand number one, Sven Oxenstierna, as he proved too good for 27-year old Evgeniy Maximov. Despite having never appeared in a competitive match on carpet, Oxenstierna controlled the match from the outset to take the first set 7-5. Despite dropping the second, The Ox looked the better player as he raced through the next two sets to seal a convincing 7-5 4-6 6-2 6-0 win over the world number 284 to level the scores.

Understandably, Belarussian captain Sergey Karpovich was very happy with the first day's play which saw his team stay on level terms against the overwhelming favourites. "The tie is still alive and both guys played very well today," Karpovic said to the local media. "We expected them to put up a good fight, but to win the first point was crucial so we hope we can put in good form again tomorrow."

CWLand captain James Nixon was less happy with the performance, but also looks forward to the doubles. "We expected both guys to win today, but Jefferson probably wasn't at his very best today. Maybe that comes with fitness or something, I don't know. Sven got a lot better as the game got on and we were very happy with how he played," Nixon said.

Play resumes tomorrow with the doubles rubber between Belarus' Isaev and Yury Nesteruk and CWLand's nominated duo of Brett Read, the Regions Morgan Keegan Champion, and Randy Smeltz. Nixon added that the Belarus pair may feel the pressure of the expectant crowd. "Both our guys are pretty workmanlike, so it'll be interesting to see how they go with a crowd expecting the big shots. Maximov struggled at times against Sven because he wasn't prepared to wait, and these guys are quality players who are also very patient".

Elsewhere, Switzerland have taken a commanding lead against Sweden in Stockholm after Victor Zsasz and Pascal Schmidt both took victories in their World Group first round tie. In other World Group action, Jason Hall has survived a tough opening clash against little known Israeli Tal Cohen. Despite the USA racing to a 2-0 lead, Hall was made to work for his five-setter as Cohen came from two sets down to level the match at two sets each. Hall was obviously suffering after a quick flight following his tournament victory in Dubai, but managed to regain his composure and claim a 6-2 7-5 4-6 4-6 6-2 victory.

Other Results

World Group
Argentina 1 - 1 Chile
Austria 1 - 1 Germany
Czech Republic 1 -1 Russia
Switzerland 2 - 0 Sweden
Croatia 2 - 0 Romania
United States 2 - 0 Israel
Serbia 2 - 0 France
Netherlands 1 - 1 Spain

Americas Zone
Group I

Brazil 2 - 0 Colombia
Canada 2 - 0 Uruguay

Group II

Dominican Republic 1 - 1 Venezuela
Guatemala 2 - 0 Netherlands Antilles
Jamaica 1 - 1 Paraguay
Bahamas 2 - 0 Mexico

Asia/Oceania Zone
Group I

Japan 2 - 0 China
Chinese Taipei 1 - 1 South Korea
India 1 - 1 Uzbekistan
Australia 1 - 1 Thailand

Group II
Philippines 2 - 0 Malaysia
Indonesia 1 - 1 Oman
Kuwait 2 - 0 Pakistan
New Zealand 2 - 0 Hong Kong

Europe/Africa Zone
Group I

Belarus 1 - 1 CWLand
Ukraine 2 - 0 FYR Macedonia
Great Britain 2 - 0 Poland
Belgium 1 - 1 Italy

Group II

Denmark 1 - 1 Ireland
Moldova 2 - 0 Egypt
Montenegro 2 - 0 Slovenia
Finland 1 - 1 Slovakia
Portugal 2 - 0 Lithuania
Georgia 2 - 0 Cyprus
Algeria 2 - 0 Latvia
Bulgaria 1 - 1 Hungary​

Last edited:

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
looking forward to the doubles, hoping Read and I can get us into a strong position.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
An overwhelming silence from the Drake camp... :laugh:

Read and Smeltz put CWLand in prime position
Davis Cup - Day Two
Europe/Africa Zone I

CWLand doubles pair Brett Read and Randy Smeltz have given their country a 2-1 lead over Belarus in their Davis Cup Europe/Africa Zone first round clash in Belarus, when they defeated Denis Isaev and Yury Nesteruk in four sets in a come-from-behind victory. In front of a capacity crowd, the visitors prevailed in just under three hours to take the all important point and to put their country in a dominant position ahead of the final day of matches.

It was an entertaining encounter as the home side broke service in the third game - only for the team of Read and Smeltz to break back in the very next game to see the first set level at 2-2. But with the set level at 5-5, Smeltz failed to hold his service and was broken with a double fault to give the hosts a set-winning break. The next two sets, however, were less close as the visitors broke Nesteruk's serve early in the set and went on to take all the momentum and turn a one-set deficit into a one-set lead. The second was taken 6-2 before the visitors threatened to blow the match open as they took the third 6-1.

It wasn't all one way traffic, though, as the hosts managed to make a good fist of it in the decider - only to fall in a close tiebreaker following another falter on service by Nesteruk. Taking a 6-5 lead, the visitors continued to work well as a team and they closed out an enthralling encounter 5-7 6-2 6-1 7-6(5).

"I think it was some much needed confidence after yesterday's matches," CWLand captain James Nixon said. "We had a bit of a rough time of it, so for the guys to go out and to give us a lead was very important. Hopefully tomorrow we can capitalise on a 2-1 lead."

Isaev was disappointed with his team's performance after taking the early lead. "We were playing good tennis early and then we weren't. I don't know what happened, Yury doesn't know what happened. It is all very disappointing." Isaev, however, remains confident that his side can turn things around tomorrow. "We showed yesterday that these guys aren't invincible, so we'd be very disappointed if he don't put up a good fight."

There will be one change in the reverse singles as the tie concludes tomorrow; CWLand replacing Sven Oxenstierna with Heath Davis and Belarus resting the experienced Denis Isaev for Sergey Kulanin.

In other action, the Henson Brothers were made to fight for their five set victory against Israeli pair Tal Cohen and Raz Teper. In four hours of gruelling tennis, Team USA finally took a hard-fought victory 8-6 in the fifth to give the favourites and unassailable 3-0 lead - one that perhaps doesn't represent Israel's fine performances. Also in the world group, a win to Miroslav Brdar and Nilikar Midid has given Croatia the tie over Romania as they waltzed to a 3-0 lead.

Other Results

World Group
Chile 2-1 Argentina
Germany 2-1 Austria
Russia 2-1 Czech Republic
Sweden 2-1 Switzerland
Croatia 3-0 Romania
United States 3-0 Israel
Serbia 2-1 France
Spain 2-1 Netherlands

Americas Zone
Group I

Brazil 3 - 0 Colombia
Canada 3 - 0 Uruguay

Group II

Dominican Republic 2 - 1 Venezuela
Guatemala 3 - 0 Netherlands Antilles
Paraguay 2 - 1 Jamaica
Bahamas 3 - 0 Mexico

Asia/Oceania Zone
Group I

Japan 2 - 1 China
South Korea 2 - 1 Chinese Taipei
Uzbekistan 2 - 1 India
Australia 2 - 1 Thailand

Group II
Philippines 3 - 0 Malaysia
Indonesia 2 - 1 Oman
Kuwait 3 - 0 Pakistan
New Zealand 3 - 0 Hong Kong

Europe/Africa Zone
Group I

CWLand 2 - 1 Belarus
Ukraine 3 - 0 FYR Macedonia
Great Britain 3 - 0 Poland
Belgium 2 - 1 Italy

Group II

Denmark 2 - 1 Ireland
Moldova 2 - 1 Egypt
Montenegro 2 - 1 Slovenia
Finland 2 - 1 Slovakia
Portugal 3 - 0 Lithuania
Georgia 2 - 1 Cyprus
Algeria 3 - 0 Latvia
Hungary 2 - 1 Bulgaria​

Simon

Huge result, expecting Drake to turn around his day one performance and get us the tie.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Great stuff from Read and Smeltz. It must have been the coke I gave Randy before the match that geed him up.

Coca-cola obviously...:unsure:

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Drake finds touch as CWLanders seal victory
Davis Cup - Day Three
Europe/Africa Zone I

CWLand have overcome a first day hiccup to seal a spot in the World Group Play-offs after a dominant 4-1 victory in their Europe/Africa Zone I first round tie in Minsk. Coming into the third day needing just one victory from their two rubbers, Jefferson Drake and Heath Davis pulled through to win both reverse singles matches to seal a comfortable victory. Whilst Drake was again made to work hard - this time for victory - the big serving Davis waltzed past Sergey Kulanin in straight sets to round off a satisfactory day for the visitors.

Drake, who lost his first match to Denis Isaev, was a man with more purpose in this his second match as he didn't give an inch against the Belarus number 2, Evginiy Maximov. Where in the first game he conceeded big games easily, Drake was dogged - if not struggling to find his range on the carpet surface - and managed to level the first set at 5-5. Despite arguably being the lesser player for the first set, Drake broke serve in the eleventh game and went on to take the first set 7-5.

The world number 14 then went on to show the form that helped him to take his first tour title in Delray Beach last week - the aggressive youngster powering through the second set in just under half an hour 6-1. But just as he looked to get the better of his opponent, Maximov broke early and held a comfortable lead to close within a set. But the enigmatic Drake finally prevailled against a determined Belarussian opponent - the Belarus-born CWLander sealing his new country's win with an ace - 7-1 6-1 3-6 6-4.

In the dead rubber, big serving Heath Davis had little trouble disposing of Kulanin in little over an hour and a half with a destructive performance. Davis fired down eighteen aces which was more than enough to overwhelm the inexperienced Kulanin who seemed even feebler on his own service when trying to match it with the CWLand powerhouse. Whilst the Belarussian got better as the match went on, he was no match for the confident Heath Davis and fell to a 6-1 6-3 6-3 loss.

"Yeah, I got off to a good start and just went from there, I suppose," Davis said following his match. "I felt pretty comfortable with my game, the serves were coming out right, and I guess I like carpet."

CWLand captain James Nixon was just as impressed with the performance of his pair. "Jefferson came off a disappointing first match, so for him to bounce back was great to see. I think he's struggling a bit for fitness after a packed schedule, so for him to come through for us is great," Nixon said. "And the performances of Davis, [Brett] Read and [Randy] Smeltz just show the great depth that CWLand tennis has."

CWLand will now play off for a spot in the season II World Group later in the season, whilst Belarus must now defeat South Africa to avoid relegation to Group II of the Europe/Africa Zone.

In the world group, Sweden has completed a sensational come-from-behind win against Switzerland in Stockholm. After falling behind 2-0 in their first round match, the hosts came back from the brink to win the next three rubbers to seal a fantastic victory. In the fifth rubber, Bjorn Donaldson came back from a set down to defeat Victor Zsasz and send the come crowd into raptures. Their quarterfinal match will be against third seeds Russia. The other quarterfinals will be contested between Austria and Chile, Croatia and the United States, and Serbia and Spain.

Other Results

World Group
Chile 3-2 Argentina
Austria 3-2 Germany
Russia 3-2 Czech Republic
Sweden 3-2 Switzerland
Croatia 5-0 Romania
United States 5-0 Israel
Serbia 4-1 France
Spain 3-2 Netherlands

Americas Zone
Group I

Brazil 4-1 Colombia
Canada 5-0 Uruguay

Group II

Dominican Republic 4-1 Venezuela
Guatemala 5-0 Netherlands Antilles
Paraguay 3-2 Jamaica
Bahamas 4-1 Mexico

Asia/Oceania Zone
Group I

Japan 3-2 China
South Korea 3-2 Chinese Taipei
Uzbekistan 3-2 India
Australia 3-2 Thailand

Group II
Philippines 4-1 Malaysia
Indonesia 4-1 Oman
Kuwait 5-0 Pakistan
New Zealand 3-2 Hong Kong

Europe/Africa Zone
Group I

CWLand 4-1 Belarus
Ukraine 5-0 FYR Macedonia
Great Britain 5-0 Poland
Belgium 3-2 Italy

Group II

Denmark 4-1 Ireland
Moldova 4-1 Egypt
Montenegro 3-2 Slovenia
Slovakia 3-2 Finland
Portugal 4-1 Lithuania
Cyprus 3-2 Georgia
Algeria 3-2 Latvia
Hungary 3-2 Bulgaria​

Simon

good win.

Also a small one, if the tie is decided and there are still matches to be played they are generally played best of three sets then. No biggie though.