Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 2580

Thread: CricketWeb Tennis - Season I

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Never happened.

Stuttgart; Båstad; Manta Challenger (F) - July 13-19 Season I

MercedesCup
    Final - Stuttgart

Men's Singles (Seeds - Finals - Top Half - Bottom Half)
    Men's Doubles (Draw)

World number nine Illya Altman has again pushed Daniel Paez Blanco to the brink, but fell short for the third time as the world number one increased his title count to eight with a three-set win in the MercedesCup final. Blanco looked to be in a hurry for his flight to Indianapolis early, and the Ukrainian didn't look in any position to stop him as the top seed blasted him off the court in a tremendous opening set. But just as the final looked to be a fizzer, Altman came out more determined in the second set as he and Blanco engaged in a test of wills. Surprisingly, it was the third seed who came out on top as he refused to be convincingly beaten; breaking the Blanco service to send the match to a decider. The two traded breaks of service as the world number one looked frustrated at his inability to capitalise on his brief leads; but he eventually managed to close to the door on Altman in the penulatimate game with some sharp forehands opening the court up for a break. Blanco eventually prevailed 6-1 4-6 6-4 to head into his first hard court tournament since ATP Masters Series Miami with an eighth title.

Seeded players out: Illya Altman.

Second seeds Ion Andueza and Sanchez Emelio completed the Spanish double as they edged out a tight contest against locals Manfried Manz and Walter Schiller. The Germans did enough to take the second set off the favourites in an entertaining display, before their game crashed and burned in the face of a hot-streak from the Andueza-Emelio combination. Claiming ten points in a row, the favourites completed their maiden career win by bagelling the locals in a disappointing match tiebreaker 6-4 5-7 [10-0].

• Seeded teams out: None.

Catella Swedish Open
    Final - Båstad

Men's Singles (Seeds - Finals - Top Half - Bottom Half)
    Men's Doubles (Draw)

Jefferson Drake's extraordinary run of form has continued as he belted Italy's Carlo Amato in the final of the Catella Swedish Open in Båstad. The third seed's fourth title of the season was no doubt his sweetest after his first three came in tournaments struggling for star power. There were no such criticisms here as Drake followed up his semifinal upset of Radivoj Daneu with a blistering display against Amato in the final. The Italian started well by taking an early break of service against last week's Newport champion, before Drake struck back immediately with venom. The world number thirteen showed no mercy in a clinical opening set which was decided 6-2. The second, whilst having an identical scoreline to the first, was vastly different as Drake surged to a 4-0 lead early. Whilst Amato managed to get on the board, it was all too little too late as Drake claimed his fourth career title 6-2 6-2. Even better for the CWLander was news that his victory propells him inside the world's top ten.

• Seeded players out: Carlo Amato.

After two unsuccessful attempts, Hayden and Ross Onwye have returned to the top of the world rankings with a maiden career title in their straight sets win over French Open champions Hugh James and Ralph Robinson. The win was all the more sweet for Ross Onwye, whose record in finals before this match stood at 0-4 (two in singles, two in doubles). Whilst the second seeds came into the match as favourites, they were unable to really impose themselves on the Moroccan team who haven't been troubled at all this tournament since a first set shock against Kim Nouri and Hans Langemar in the first round. In under two hours, Onwye and Onwye secured a 6-3 6-3 win.

• Seeded teams out: Hugh James / Ralph Robinson.

V Manta Open - Trofeo Ricardo Delgado Aray
    Final - Manta

Men's Singles (Finals - Top Half - Bottom Half)
    Men's Doubles (Draw)

Jojo Mustard's inability to produce big wins this week has finally come back to haunt him as he disappointingly fell in a three-set slog against Randy Bruce in the final of the V Manta Open in Ecuador. In a draining three-hour contest, Mustard suffered from fatigue associated with playing in both the singles and doubles draws where he has been denied easy wins. The top seed played good tennis in stages, but fell late in the first and third sets against the fresh American who claimed a maiden Challenger title with a hard-fought 7-6(5) 3-6 7-5.

• Seeded players out: Jojo Mustard.

There was some consolation for Mustard as he and Heath Davis claimed the doubles crown in their final against Tino Boytchuk and Rory Cross. Whilst the three-set win doesn't get them any ATP Race points, it gives them some confidence heading into the draw in Indianapolis starting this week. The top seeds looked the better pairing outside of a late loss of concentration in the second set; picking up their first title as a team 6-1 5-7 [10-6].

• Seeded teams out: None.

Wow, so awesome. Hopefully my run of form will continue into the Davis Cup time so I get a shot at it again.

... .... .- -.- . / - .... . / -.. . .- - .... / ..-. .-. --- -- / -.-- --- ..- .-. / -... --- -. . ...

Rankings & Injuries - July 19, I

Singles

Men's Singles Rankings

CWLand Only

Doubles

Individual Rankings

ATP Race

Injuries

Player in Focus

Player in Focus: Daniel Páez Blanco

Drake pushing the Ox for best player in CW.. Should be an interesting race. Blanco, 8 wins, all on clay... A man about to be shown his flaws, one thinks.
    Signatures are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get.
    Cricket Web Red
    FC:
    263 Matches. 1830 Runs @ 7.66. HS: 57*. 92 Ducks. 170 Catches
    1107 Wickets @ 26.91 . BB 7/38
    First CW player to reach 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000, 1100 FC wickets

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    That was a heap of poo from Mustard. He should have won that final. At least he got some consolation in the doubles final. Mustard extends his thanks to Davis for a fine tournament together. Hopefully they can continue to play well together.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Well done Drake, one of the form players on tour right now.

Indianapolis draw released

ATP World No. 1 Daniel Paez Blanco heads a stellar draw for the Indianapolis Tennis Championships which includes two Grand Slam champions and nine ATP World Tour champions. Blanco is set for a semifinal showdown against Wimbledon champion Darcy Cowan, but the dream matchup could be upset by the addition of injury plagued American Rick Henson. Elsewhere, the first round will see an amazing match between the Wimbledon runner up and a quarterfinalist at The Championships as Radek Spidla and Kim Vollan face off.

Hamburg draw released

The prestigious Hamburg Open gets underway with a stellar 48-strong field headed by former World No. 1 Jason Hall. Hall faces a tough assignment in the quarterfinals if he wants to claim his second clay title of the season with World No. 10 Illya Altman looming likely. Elsewhere, Radivoj Daneu will look to avenge his semifinal loss last week in Båstad, but may be stopped as early as the third round with a match against the returning Li Wang the likely outcome. After missing the tournament in Båstad last week, CWLand's Sven Oxenstierna will look to prove his credentials against an all-star cast; a quarterfinal showdown with countryman Randy Smeltz a real possibility as the World No. 19 looks set for a Stuttgart rematch against Dwayne Murdoch. Whilst the sixteen seeded players receive byes into the second round, the likes of Oneil Stewart, Janos Varga and Gregor Gorshkov will be in action in the first round.

Yes, I know I've made the draws a bit too overpowered but I'm not changing them now. Bowenburg's streak of awesome draws continues. In Hamburg qualifying, second seed Alex de Wet has Xabier Jiminez in the first round. In Indianapolis qualifying, second seed Billy Spleen has Ricardo Couto first up. Vladimir Stakhanov has doubles superstar Ralph Robinson, and Scotland Rivers has UAE's Ali Ahmed. Finally, Matt Bre has Benoît Rio.

In Penza, fifth seed Spas Delev begins with a match against local Evgeniy Volkoff, and faces a possible quarterfinal against Czech Republic's Vaclav Zeman. Randy Banks starts off his qualifying campaign with a match against Mikhail Prokopenko.

rather mad Norwegian Magrat Garlick's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Good work again De Kinsele, Haas, Smeltz, Daneu. Could have been worse tbh.
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett, Benaud and Thunberg

I had a glimpse of Eureka
    Chewing me up, chewing me up and spitting me out

-jected, I was rejected
    I wasn't good enough to be elected
    Lava, it was like lava
    Moving through my body like fire

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    I normally just take it one match at a time, but I fancy my chances of knocking out Blanco in the second round in Indiana.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I normally just take it one match at a time, but I fancy my chances of knocking out Blanco in the second round in Indiana.
    Big call!

If you want to play doubles, say so by tomorrow and leave some preferences and I'll work things out.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Could be a short tournament for Mustard. If he makes it to the 2nd round he will likely face Cowan. Given he couldn't succeed in Mantra, we feel he will struggle at the Indy. He'll need to show more than he did in Mantra to go deep in this tournament.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Simon's Avatar
    Hoping for a quarter final match up against the Ox, may have beaten him last encounter? Or maybe that was Drake I'm thinking I beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Hoping for a quarter final match up against the Ox, may have beaten him last encounter? Or maybe that was Drake I'm thinking I beat.
    Unless I'm forgetting another meeting, you did beat Ox 6-2 6-3 in the quarterfinals of Barcelona.

Thread Information