• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Cup Competition Discussion and Results***

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So then, the cup competition.

My idea is to invite 20 teams from across the world of middling ability (i.e. not Champions League or even Premiership teams) to play against each other in the first round. This'll see 10 of those teams make it through at which point the CW Land teams are added in to make 16 teams left in the competition. At which point it does the usual 16-8-4-2 progression.
The main point behind this system is that it adds an extra round to the proceedings.

Comments/Team nominations are welcome.

Perm

Good idea, looking forward to this. Let's get the reincarnation of the NZ Knights in there.

Dizzy #4

International 12th Man
Torquay lol, we do need an easy beat, unless you guys want a Team in the top leagues of middle ablity..

Dyanmo Kiev?
Locomotive Moscow?
Red Star Belgrade?
Tre Fiori?
F91 Dudelange?
Olympique Khouribga?
or even the Vatician City National Team?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
F.K. Bodø/Glimt.

Am sure Chad Gibson could get them some cheap tickets. Have a couple of crowd-pleasing Costa Ricans and Brazilians to boot. D1 Norway ought to be just above CWLand level.

Other suggestions

Go Ahead Eagles Deventer
Luch-Energiya Vladivostok (shorter trip than to most away games)
Madureira (Rio de Janeiro club, runner-up in their state championship after winning the Taça Rio, barely in Brazil's third tier though so might be hard to get stats)
Zanaco FC Lusaka
Nagoya Grampus Eight (has a Norwegian, Gary Lineker used to play there)
Goyang Kookmin Bank (reached semis of Korean Cup)

Second Mamelodi Sundowns, Mansfield Town, Monterrey, Perth Glory, Spartak Ivano-Frankivsk, Tre Fiori and Olympique de Khouribga.

Matteh

Think the way i'll get the teams chosen, is after everyone has had their say i'll put them all into a poll which with option voting and the teams get chosen that way rather than the nominating, seconding process.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Id like to nominate Doncaster Rovers as the winners of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy this weekend with over 60 000 in attendance. They beat Bristol Rovers 3-2 after extra time at the Millennium Stadium

Would be nice to see the 'Champion' lower division team qualify for this tournament.

Matteh

Right, i'm going to leave team nominating open until i wake up in the morning (so around 10 hours). After that i'll poll them.