• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best and Worst Picks of the Round

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Then my team is ****ed
Haha you were specifically told this at the start of the draft. I even copied the thing into the first post of the draft thread. :p

Information for first timers:
  • Obviously my rating system isn't perfect, but it may be more sophisticated than you're anticipating. If you're familiar with my standardised averages project, it's based loosely on the same principles as that but also applied to domestic cricket. Picking someone from Irish domestic cricket with good First Class averages probably won't be the hack you think it is, for example, as the different competitions are weighted differently based on a number of factors.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Without having actually hooked at the numbers of your players specifically, my gut feel is that your first ten or so picks were fine but some of your backup players were a bit "failed stats hack". Cornwall will probably be a better batsman but a worse bowler than you were expecting (I'm sure he'll still be a bowling allrounder, but it'll close in a bit).

And as has been said, when you name a lineup that isn't unofficial, you probably shouldn't have six frontline bowlers in your team. :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd probably get him in your eleven to strengthen the batting a bit.

Tamim Iqbal
Shubman Gill
Mosaddek Hossain
Karun Nair
Shakib Al Hasan (5)
Quinton de Kock (wk)
Liam Livingstone
Jason Holder (3)
Hasan Ali or Ish Sodhi (4)
Mohammad Shami (1)
Umesh Yadav (2)

Mosaddek and Livingstone can bowl a bit of spin too if you need it in the second innings. That team looks fine.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Howe with comfortably the worst pick of the round imo. Bihar has to be the rough equivalent of Logan Cup 3rds.

And that's saying something when Rashid Khan got picked, and I went for Nick Larkin.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Howe with comfortably the worst pick of the round imo. Bihar has to be the rough equivalent of Logan Cup 3rds.
It's hard to standardise someone out of being useful with a bowling average of 6 though. Logan Cup 3rds with an average of 6 probably wouldn't be terrible.

Howe_zat

Audio File
A bloke who makes his first class debut in his 30s and averages 48 with the bat and 6 with the ball while captaining and breaking records deserves his shot at the big time.

You’re just cruel.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Ranji Plate Group after a court decision mandating every state have a team. Not even once.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Imagine working for cricinfo and deciding that you could justify splitting the county divisions into two tournament IDs but not the Ranji ones though.

Sack that guy IMO.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Imagine working for cricinfo and deciding that you could justify splitting the county divisions into two tournament IDs but not the Ranji ones though.

Sack that guy IMO.
How much extra work was it for you lol

btw go ahead and skip me guys, sorry for holding the draft up

Flem274*

123/5
more like "will anyone bar some loser nerds care if we just lump them in together and get this done ahead of schedule?"

near enough is good enough bois.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
More like "this'll teach that data thief pews!" *rubs hands with glee
:laugh:

I was working on that Ranji nonsense for two days btw. It's hard to say how long it actually took me in proper working hours given I was doing other stuff and slacking through those two days, but if I had to guess I'd say a good five hours of proper sit down work. It sucked.

I almost didn't bother but when I saw some of the stats from it I couldn't let it stand.