• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Web Premier League - sign up and general discussion

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Going back through some of the S1 squads is definitely interesting -- seeing which speculative picks flopped, and which would have really paid off.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Going back through some of the S1 squads is definitely interesting -- seeing which speculative picks flopped, and which would have really paid off.
There's a bunch of Season 2 stuff in the Season 1 forum now as well ftr. Might get slightly confusing if you're digging but I think we labelled most of the Season 2 stuff Season 2 in the titles.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was surprised you didn't go for an allrounder, especially given none had been taken yet. You usually do in Round 1 IIRC.
Usually it's a bowler first (IIRC my C/WPL first rounders have been Amir, Morkel and Pattinson and I often go for bowlers in draft games and the like). Though given the paucity of high-class bats in the modern game and the other Big 4 members going 1/2/3 I'm not too disappointed with my pick.

morgieb

This was my S2 squad (didn't play S1 for reasons I can't really remember)

**** Fishers

Murali Vijay
Matthew Hayden
Andrew Puttick
Hashim Amla
Ian Bell
Chestewatar Pujara
Ajinkya Rahane
Marcus North
MS Dhoni
Chris Hartley
Sachrita Senenyake
Morne Morkel
Umar Gul
Fidel Edwards
Ajantha Mendis
Alister McDermott

Lots of awesome batting picks, shame the same can't be said about my bowling.

The four letter word starts with t.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I had

Kirk Edwards
Martin Guptill
Darren Bravo
Brendan Taylor
Thilan Samaraweera
Mushfiqur Rahim (+)
James Franklin
Daniel Vettori
Tim Southee
Quinton Friend
Ravi Rampaul

VVS Laxman
Pankaj Singh
Luis Reece
Chamara Silva
Jeetan Patel
Fidel Edwards
Devon Smith

morgieb

My S3 squad on CricSim:

James Pattinson
David Warner
Joe Root
Beuran Hendricks
James Taylor
Abhishek Nayar
Imran Tahir
Denesh Ramdin
Michael Lumb
Umesh Yadav
Yashpal Singh
Sarfraz Ahmed (1978, bowler)
Taufeeq Umar
Sunil Narine
Hrishikesh Kanitkar
Umesh Karunaratne
Sarfraz Ahmed (the good one)
Jerome Taylor

No idea why I picked so many random Asians haha.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'll never forget you picking Sarfraz Ahmed the bowler, because the keeper hadn't been picked yet, and in the draft thread you just posted "Sarfraz Ahmed" without qualifying it.

I asked you which one you meant just to be a pedantic dick, completely assuming you meant the keeper, and then it turned out you did mean the bowler. I was gobsmacked haha.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It used to consume so much of my time to actually separate the two players in the database too; it always wanted to combine them into a bowling allrounder. Using cricinfo player IDs instead of player names has solved that issue, but fmd it was the pits.

morgieb

Money is on he didnt mean the bowler but had forgotten, which is why he corrected it
Nah I'm pretty sure I did legitimately want the bowler. Had already picked my primary keeper so wanted to leave my secondary one late.

What a gun R17 pick that would've been. I bet people actually wanted him but thought I had picked him.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Umesh Karunuratne!!!

****ing gunned it for me in some ICC saves as an OS player. 40+ with the bat, 20-25 with the ball every single year.

Daemon

Still remember how Flem tricked me into picking like 20 NZers, WAC

One of them was KW though so credit where it's due

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Fair to say Pujara ended up a bit better than CWPL1 had him as (791 runs @ 31.6)
Assuming I'm looking at the right database for that season, he should've averaged ~42 but got into one of those classic ITC ruts. Higher simming average than the leading run scorer for the season (Parana), I believe. :laugh: