• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Season 2 Draft Discussion

Howe_zat

Audio File
Round 5
GingerFurball -
Cevno - Abhinav Mukund
Himmanv -
rvd619323 -
Spark -
weeman27bob - Dwayne Bravo
GIMH -
morgieb -
Samuel_Vimes - Ross Taylor
Johnners -
Marcuss - Vernon Philander
Cabinet96 -
Daemon/Flem -
Eds -
Prince EWS -
Howe_zat - Tim Bresnan
Noble_One -
You've made an error somewhere - Bresnan is on Riley's team

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
@Howe.. balls. Will have to check that.

@GF - Originally only the odd numbered round retentions were there as it's much easier to randomise a list an C&P then it is to manually type out the reverse order. Everything should be there now.

Johnners

You can pick anyone you like actually, but retired players are obviously nerfed a bit to reflect how they'd probably go if they came out of retirement to play in a comp like this.

The task is basically to pretend it's a real-life competition, and assume you have unlimited funds and can therefore talk anyone in the world into playing. If you think the best option is picking someone who has been retired for 35 years to make a comeback then you can do that.. I don't recommend it though. :p
Just on this point, does the database simply use FC records, or is there some sort of differentiation between Test & FC Stats? Also, I'm assuming last years CPL stats are taken into account?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just on this point, does the database simply use FC records, or is there some sort of differentiation between Test & FC Stats? Also, I'm assuming last years CPL stats are taken into account?
It's a lot more complicated than you'd imagine. Not only are Tests differentiated from domestic First Class matches but each First Class competition is given its own specific weighting (eg. the Sheffield Shield is recognised as a much tougher competition than the Zimbabwean Logan Cup), and the Test averages are standardised by strength of opposition (so scoring a ton against South Africa last year is worth a lot more than scoring one against Bangladesh, for example). More recent games are also given more weighting; a match played five years ago holds pretty little relevance for example. The best advice I can give you is to not try to cheat the system by picking people whose stats you might think are wholly unrepresentative of their quality because most little glitches have been accounted for. Treat it like you're picking it right now in real life, as you seem to have with your first pick, and you'll be absolutely fine.

What players did in this competition last season isn't taken into account by the database - the database is based completely on real life - but in many cases it may be a good indication as to how they'll perform this season unless they've performed a lot better/worse in real life since then.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Is it necessary to put the draft order in code tags? I can't scroll through a code tag on my phone.

Johnners

It's a lot more complicated than you'd imagine. Not only are Tests differentiated from domestic First Class matches but each First Class competition is given its own specific weighting (eg. the Sheffield Shield is recognised as a much tougher competition than the Zimbabwean Logan Cup), and the Test averages are standardised by strength of opposition (so scoring a ton against South Africa last year is worth a lot more than scoring one against Bangladesh, for example). More recent games are also given more weighting; a match played five years ago holds pretty little relevance for example. The best advice I can give you is to not try to cheat the system by picking people whose stats you might think are wholly unrepresentative of their quality because most little glitches have been accounted for. Treat it like you're picking it right now in real life, as you seem to have with your first pick, and you'll be absolutely fine.

What players did in this competition last season isn't taken into account by the database - the database is based completely on real life - but in many cases it may be a good indication as to how they'll perform this season unless they've performed a lot better/worse in real life since then.

I had assumed there would have to be some sort of weighting system if only for the difference in tests/fc, just wasn't sure to what extent. Thought I'd make sure thought given peoples reaction to Nevill/Woakes first round selections even though they both have good FC records.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah I was thinking that when debating which one of Prior or de Villiers to go for. Doesn't matter now though.