• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Season 2 discussion

Eds

International Debutant
I'd assume that you miss out the number of round of the beginning equal in number to the number of people you retain?

So if you retain one player, you take part from round 2 onwards in the draw. If you retain 2, you take part in round 3 onwards.
Surely you should just have your players as pre-selected picks in the round you selected them in?

eg. if you wanted to retain your round 7 pick in the first draft, you effectively miss your round 7 pick in this draft to keep the player.

weeman27bob

International Regular
Surely you should just have your players as pre-selected picks in the round you selected them in?

eg. if you wanted to retain your round 7 pick in the first draft, you effectively miss your round 7 pick in this draft to keep the player.
Oh, I guess that makes sense.

I was just assuming people would only want to retain their first few rounds of players, but clearly that's not necessarily the case.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also, if you add more teams, you should make retentions go in what position they were drafted in, not what round.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Maximum of 5 works for me.

How does a new deaft work with retentions?
If we keep the same number of teams that we currently have, then you'd just miss picks in the round you picked those players. However, if we expand something like this works best.

Season 1
A - Kallis
B - Tendulkar
C - Dravid

C - Steyn
B - Murali
A - Anderson

A - Cameron White
B - Steve Harmison
C - Richie Benaud

If the competition was expanded to 6 teams, then in Season 2, A, B and C would only be able to retain one of their first 2 picks from season 1. As all of those players were in the first 6 picked in Season 1, they would all be Round 1 picks in Season 2. If that makes sense. White, Harmison and Benaud (if retained) would all be round 2 picks in Season 2 as they fall in the "Picks 7-12" bracket. etc etc

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah, re-draft.

Firstly, the database has changed significantly from what we originally picked, and people would make different decisions, especially towards their retired players. Secondly, half a dozen managers lost interest over the hiatus and I'd rather we replace them with people who'll stick with it.
I lost interest because of ban + lack of simming tbf. Would like to stay in the comp.

Jarquis

People should definitely have the option of retaining players. Would be a bit silly if there was no continuity in squads from season to season.

Howe_zat

Audio File
How does retaining players work with respect to the draft? For example if I retain just Chandimal and Alam, does that mean I miss the first two draft rounds, or do I miss the rounds that I picked them in?

Jarquis

How does retaining players work with respect to the draft? For example if I retain just Chandimal and Alam, does that mean I miss the first two draft rounds, or do I miss the rounds that I picked them in?
If we keep the same number of teams that we currently have, then you'd just miss picks in the round you picked those players. However, if we expand something like this works best.

Season 1
A - Kallis
B - Tendulkar
C - Dravid

C - Steyn
B - Murali
A - Anderson

A - Cameron White
B - Steve Harmison
C - Richie Benaud

If the competition was expanded to 6 teams, then in Season 2, A, B and C would only be able to retain one of their first 2 picks from season 1. As all of those players were in the first 6 picked in Season 1, they would all be Round 1 picks in Season 2. If that makes sense. White, Harmison and Benaud (if retained) would all be round 2 picks in Season 2 as they fall in the "Picks 7-12" bracket. etc etc
I suggest like above.
Obviously if we maintain the same number of teams then it will effectively be the same round. If the competition reduces in size then they'll be in later rounds.
But the main advantage of the above method is it makes it fairer for new teams if the competition expands.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Okay, that makes sense. Is it time to start a thread in CC to formally sign up new managers? We can give people from season 1, say, a 24-hour period of priority on places.

Are you going to use an updated database?

Jarquis

Yeah, the database will be updated. Cribb updates it after nearly every FC match IIRC as a matter of his personal interest. So we'll have an up to date one from whatever moment we start the draft.

Just need Spark to give the thumbs up to the retention idea and then we can get started.

Spark

Global Moderator
I want to see how much manager turnover we get. If a heap of new people are joining then I'd go for a straight redraft.

Jarquis

We've already had more than half confirm and I'd expect Himmanv, GingerFurball and possibly Teja to want to continue. G.I.Joe may wish to as well but I think he mentioned something about preferring a redraft though I'm sure he wouldn't turn down the opportunity of retaining one or two from the squad he took over as opposed to starting again. So that's ~12/16 carrying on.

Frankly I think we've already got enough continuing on for us to allow retentions. Hell I'd say if only one team continued they deserve the choice of whether or not to retain some of their squad.
For those that weren't around the first time it's just a case of hard lines, people shouldn't be forced into giving up players from their squad .