• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Predictions league:To continue or not?

Predictions league: To continue or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
In the context of decrease in the partcipation levels of the CW forum members in the prediction league, I opened this poll. There are still members who are taking part in this competion regularly but we are not finding many though. For ex: Pupclarke, Samuel_vimes are taking part regularly. They still feel this game has got a great excitement.

I would invite you people to give some suggestions to improvise the game. So, if you could give a thought of how we can get back to our olden days where there are nearly 20 people who participated regulary. Now, hardly we find 5 people posting their predictions for a match.

Your thoughts invited for the betterment of the game!

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If it were something more simple like Predict the result and the highest run scorer and wicket taker I would more than likely resume. I just found it really difficult to assess the amount of runs for the match and the wickets for the match. In the end I couldn't be arsed. However, if it were just highest run scorer and highest wicket-taker, I'd be up for it.

Raghav

If it were something more simple like Predict the result and the highest run scorer and wicket taker I would more than likely resume. I just found it really difficult to assess the amount of runs for the match and the wickets for the match. In the end I couldn't be arsed. However, if it were just highest run scorer and highest wicket-taker, I'd be up for it.
Yes agreed with your views. The basic reason for opening this new thread is for this: to get views about this competition. Thanks for posting your views on that.

The unpredicatbility nature of this competition makes this competition much more exciting. As you have said, highest runscorer and wicket taker is enough rather asking for the total match runs. Yes, we do have this format in test matches. In onedayers, we have the highest srtikerate batsman and low economy rate bowler. You can understand why there is a difference between ODI posting and test postings.

We are not asking for exact match runs, we are looking for your prediction with the error margin to be + or - 100 . So, if you predict 300 score and the total match score is 398, still you get points. Its not that we are looking for exact prediction.

Things like predicting Man of match can be added to the list and which can be done after everyone agrees to it.

Last edited:

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
I voted yes, with some modifications for one-day game similar to mister wright suggested.
How about this.

1. Team which wins the match
2. Batsman who will make the highest score in the match and his highest score
3. Bowler who takes highest wickets in the match and his economy rate
4. Total runs for the match
5. Man of the match
I agree that strike rates for batsman and economy rates are important for ODI's. But it might be possible that the person who has the highest strike rate could be a tail ender e.g chaminda vaas or who slogs and the person who bowls economically may not take wickets at all e.g harbhajan singh. So in these cases the economy and strike rates of the people is not going to influence match decision.Also toss might be relevant in only very few cases.
So if the above factors were set for prediction, iam sure it will be more interesting and a lot of people will participate.
Hope the changes will be effected.

Raghav

I voted yes, with some modifications for one-day game similar to mister wright suggested.
How about this.

1. Team which wins the match
2. Batsman who will make the highest score in the match and his highest score
3. Bowler who takes highest wickets in the match and his economy rate
4. Total runs for the match
5. Man of the match
I agree that strike rates for batsman and economy rates are important for ODI's. But it might be possible that the person who has the highest strike rate could be a tail ender e.g chaminda vaas or who slogs and the person who bowls economically may not take wickets at all e.g harbhajan singh. So in these cases the economy and strike rates of the people is not going to influence match decision.Also toss might be relevant in only very few cases.
So if the above factors were set for prediction, iam sure it will be more interesting and a lot of people will participate.
Hope the changes will be effected.
Thanks for your suggestion. You suggested a very good point. We will consider it. I will speak with the other people and will try to get these changes.