• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Web Forumer World Cup - Information and Discussion

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I had an idea the other day, to run a simulated World Cup with CricketWeb members filling up the teams.

For those unaware of how that'd work - you sign up as, for example, an English opening batsmen and, before England play India, I simulate England v India as a curtain-raiser to the main event using a computer program. You open the batting in that game against silenstriker and Cevno who have signed up as Indian opening bowlers. It'd follow the same schedule as the real world cup. You don't have to do anything after you sign up other than check your progress.

There would definitely be some problems filling up some of the teams (getting eleven Kenyan posters could be a struggle, for example), but we could be a bit liberal with eligibility, or use filler players, or maybe even just play sixes depending on sign-ups.

At the moment I'd just like to get a rough idea of how much interest there'd be in it, who'd be interesting in captaining/selecting a nation's team/squad for each game, and any other problems people can think of.

EDIT: Oh, and if anyone is eligible or willing to play for a more obscure nation, that'd be good information at this point too.

EDIT2: Sign-ups: http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/world-cup-2011/49542-cricket-web-forumer-world-cup-sign-ups.html

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How would the averages be determined PEWS?
Yet to be determined. Obviously what you signed up as play a part, but aside from that - maybe activity in this thread? Dunno. Definitely don't want to promote spam on CricketWeb, even if it's just in one thread. Maybe I could use total forum posts at the beginning of the tournament - that'd prevent people from spamming but allow some differentiation of abilities. I'll come up with something as the situation arises anyway; I don't even know if we'd have enough yet.

Last edited:

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sounds pretty epic. So as long as that other sim doesn't get put on the backburner, I'm happy to do it.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yet to be determined. Obviously what you signed up as play a part, but aside from that - maybe activity in this thread? Dunno. Definitely don't want to promote spam on CricketWeb, even if it's just in one thread. Maybe I could use total forum posts at the beginning of the tournament - that'd prevent people from spamming but allow some differentiation of abilities. I'll come up with something as the situation arises anyway; I don't even know if we'd have enough yet.
That could work,I guess.

Though maybe if there is a way to differentiate post counts in the Cricket forums or the WC forum would be good.

Also ,i think you should have 11 members per team,as finding more to fill all the teams would be difficult.

And perhaps you could fill in all the unfill slots with real players ,if it is not too much trouble.

Btw, what method did they use in the Development league?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Interested so far -

Himannv - Srilanka

Eds - England

Teja. - India
Cevno - India

morgieb - Australia

Prince EWS - Newzealand(?)

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ashwell can play for Zimbabwe, I reckon.

Happy to take part for whichever team. NZ or England (and Wales) I'd be eligible for.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That could work,I guess.

Though maybe if there is a way to differentiate post counts in the Cricket forums or the WC forum would be good.

Also ,i think you should have 11 members per team,as finding more to fill all the teams would be difficult.

And perhaps you could fill in all the unfill slots with real players ,if it is not too much trouble.

Btw, what method did they use in the Development league?
Just sign-up stats for the Dev League I think, capped for experience.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ashwell can play for Zimbabwe, I reckon.

Happy to take part for whichever team. NZ or England (and Wales) I'd be eligible for.
Zimbabwe will be a very hard team to fill, I reckon. It's a shame they're in the same group as Canada and Kenya as those will be the hardest teams to fill - we could've made two of them a "bye" if they were in opposite groups. I'm very happy to play for Australia, England, New Zealand, Ireland or Zimbabwe. I follow the cricket in all those countries with particular interest.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England or Ireland or Cremerland

Want to be England and want to be Swann tbph. But if numbers don't allow it I can play for one of the others.

Last edited: