• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CWC Draft

DJellett

International Debutant
The inaugural CricketWeb Cricket Assosciation Draft is to be held from September 7th-9th, immediately following the currently ongoing pre-season carnival.

The draft will decide which team players will represent in the upcoming season, with the squads to be drafted using alternating picks decided by the designated leaders of each team.
The initial draft order will be selected at random, with picks following the order established in the first round of the draft thereafter.

Ideally, this draft will be conducted "live", in part or in full; this aims to create an exciting atmosphere around the season launch. Obviously it would be nigh-on impossible to maintain live coverage of the draft for 3 days straight; however, when captains have been elected, I will work with them to find appropriate times for draft activity.

For currently registered players - what is the best time of day for you to take part in a live draft? I am operating on Australian Eastern Time (GMT +10), but can make myself available most times of the day to suit the consensus.

MrPrez

International Debutant
From my side late morning to afternoon on the 8th (GMT time) is sweet. Although I can't confirm this yet I guess, have no idea what I'm doing next weekend.

Spark

Global Moderator
Don't think a live draft is a good idea with the time zone spread and numbers we have tbh.

Jager

International Debutant
So what's this draft about? Are we drafting current players and then playing them against each other?

I am always keen for a draft, so if I am not 'in' already, can I still get a spot?

DJellett

International Debutant
So what's this draft about? Are we drafting current players and then playing them against each other?

I am always keen for a draft, so if I am not 'in' already, can I still get a spot?
The draft will determine which side each CricketWeb member's alter-ego player will play for; as we will have more than one side representing CW in a domestic/invitational league. I was going to divide the teams myself according to ability; but I think this method allows both greater player involvement, and a more organic development of squads.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I think you should let those who are keen form teams and get them to recruit other members, rather than drafting everyone. It'd help to foster some team identity and rivalry.

DJellett

International Debutant
I think you should let those who are keen form teams and get them to recruit other members, rather than drafting everyone. It'd help to foster some team identity and rivalry.
I believe these things will happen organically in due course. A draft ensures there is limited one-sidedness to the teams, whilst creating a more immersive game atmosphere. I doubt whether there are sufficient numbers for every person who wants a team to fill their allotment; the CWC will loosely follow the old CWXI concept - that of centralised development teams, vying in domestic competition for both club honours and individual accolades, international selection etc.

Last edited:

MrPrez

International Debutant
I believe these things will happen organically in due course. A draft ensures there is limited one-sidedness to the teams, whilst creating a more immersive game atmosphere. I doubt whether there are sufficient numbers for every person who wants a team to fill their allotment; the CWC will loosely follow the old CWXI concept - that of centralised development teams, vying in domestic competition for both club honours and individual accolades, international selection etc.
This problem will not change in magnitude dependent on the selection format, though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Perhaps a compromise of sorts would be best - appoint three captains, let them recruit four or five other members each themselves and then draft the rest.

DJellett

International Debutant
This problem will not change in magnitude dependent on the selection format, though.
If it were a draft-style concept, we would need enough players to register to fill every player's desire to draft a team (potentially in excess of 200 individual registrations at this stage alone), and I don't think this number is viable.

To have 2, 3, 4...however many CW teams we fill, competing in a domestic league (including invitational sides, if we need to fill the quota) is possible with the number of members we are likely to gain (only 30-60 players required). This also ensures optimum match time for each individual,and ample potential for expansion.

Last edited:

DJellett

International Debutant
Perhaps a compromise of sorts would be best - appoint three captains, let them recruit four or five other members each themselves and then draft the rest.
This is not far removed from what will eventuate anyhow - at this stage, a captain and vice-captain will already be allocated to each team, and drafting will commence there. I think the model you are suggesting, whilst idealistic, is too open to monopolising of talent - and could effectively lead to an imbalanced competition.

Last edited:

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
How exactly do the squads work anyways? I'm assuming there is no risk of injuries, so I suggest squads be kept as small as possible; form as many teams as possible. By the looks of it, that would mean we already have three. Is there enough wicket keepers and openers for everyone?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How exactly do the squads work anyways? I'm assuming there is no risk of injuries, so I suggest squads be kept as small as possible; form as many teams as possible. By the looks of it, that would mean we already have three. Is there enough wicket keepers and openers for everyone?
Middle order batsmen opening wouldn't be that big of a deal. Not having enough wicket keepers would be an issue but I can think of three off hand at the moment.

DJellett

International Debutant
Exactly my intention Garson, want as many of the domestic teams to be "CW-players only" as possible. Have been contemplating the use of an injury sim - to enhance realism, squad management difficulty, etc - but you have a valid point. At this point there are easily enough wicket-keepers for at least 4 teams, and as stated by PEWS, anyone can open the batting.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very much agree with these 2

DJellett

International Debutant
A potential compromise I have come up with; which appeases the above sentiments, whilst maintaining a measure of balance in the competition, is democratic election of captaincy. Those who wish to lead an XI may nominate to do so, then present to the registered playing group their policy for any potential reign as captain. These nominees will be voted upon by the registered players, with each afforded one vote. As there are currently 3 XI's, the 3 leading candidates resulting from this balot would be declared captains, with a mandate to do as they please with regards to drafting, selection, etc.

Of course, nominees are free to state any policy platform they like - and this may include draft intentions, desired players, an assigned vice-captaincy candidate on the ballot, etc - granting much more freedom to develop the "cliquey" sentiment which is being sought above. This does not neccesarily guarantee getting your first preference playing group - non-captain players are all still subject to an open draft - but allows election to captaincy based on whatever ideals any group would like to develop.

On the flip side of this, captains who are not meeting their promises or the expectations of the playing group would be subject to a possible vote of no confidence by the playing group. This motion would need to be passed by the entirety of the playing squad for it to be approved.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
A potential compromise I have come up with; which appeases the above sentiments, whilst maintaining a measure of balance in the competition, is democratic election of captaincy. Those who wish to lead an XI may nominate to do so, then present to the registered playing group their policy for any potential reign as captain. These nominees will be voted upon by the registered players, with each afforded one vote. As there are currently 3 XI's, the 3 leading candidates resulting from this balot would be declared captains, with a mandate to do as they please with regards to drafting, selection, etc.

Of course, nominees are free to state any policy platform they like - and this may include draft intentions, desired players, an assigned vice-captaincy candidate on the ballot, etc - granting much more freedom to develop the "cliquey" sentiment which is being sought above. This does not neccesarily guarantee getting your first preference playing group - non-captain players are all still subject to an open draft - but allows election to captaincy based on whatever ideals any group would like to develop.

On the flip side of this, captains who are not meeting their promises or the expectations of the playing group would be subject to a possible vote of no confidence by the playing group. This motion would need to be passed by the entirety of the playing squad for it to be approved.

Thoughts?
fine, lets get it on. Start a thread with a poll. Just include those who wanted to be a captain and not those who wanted to be a vice captain. I will make my speech as soon as you have created the thread. Should be good for a laugh will start it with 4 score and 7 years ago.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The thing is, there can't be any monopolisation of talent because every player is more-or-less equal at this stage.

Let teams form themselves IMO, then for a potential second season allow for retentions and drafting or whatnot - by then some idea as to the development of each player will have emerged.

DJellett

International Debutant
fine, lets get it on. Start a thread with a poll. Just include those who wanted to be a captain and not those who wanted to be a vice captain. I will make my speech as soon as you have created the thread. Should be good for a laugh will start it with 4 score and 7 years ago.
Glad you see the value in this compromise, Hurricane, however I will allow the oppurtunity for a few more speakers before I press ahead. Feel free to prepare your address in the meantime; even if this is not the way people want to go, it will still be of value as captains still need to be elected - with or without the concessions offered above.

Last edited: