Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CWC Draft

International Debutant DJellett's Avatar

CWC Draft

The inaugural CricketWeb Cricket Assosciation Draft is to be held from September 7th-9th, immediately following the currently ongoing pre-season carnival.

The draft will decide which team players will represent in the upcoming season, with the squads to be drafted using alternating picks decided by the designated leaders of each team.
    The initial draft order will be selected at random, with picks following the order established in the first round of the draft thereafter.

Ideally, this draft will be conducted "live", in part or in full; this aims to create an exciting atmosphere around the season launch. Obviously it would be nigh-on impossible to maintain live coverage of the draft for 3 days straight; however, when captains have been elected, I will work with them to find appropriate times for draft activity.

For currently registered players - what is the best time of day for you to take part in a live draft? I am operating on Australian Eastern Time (GMT +10), but can make myself available most times of the day to suit the consensus.
    Dylan Hooper-Jellett
    CWCA Chairman

Want to be the next Bradman - of the forum?
    Simmed Cricket. Real Fun.
    CricketWeb Cricket - Sign Up Now

Quote Originally Posted by Voltman View Post
    Melicous? Is that a nasty, yet tasty, comment?

Tournaments Won: 1
    From my side late morning to afternoon on the 8th (GMT time) is sweet. Although I can't confirm this yet I guess, have no idea what I'm doing next weekend.
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

Don't think a live draft is a good idea with the time zone spread and numbers we have tbh.
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

So what's this draft about? Are we drafting current players and then playing them against each other?

I am always keen for a draft, so if I am not 'in' already, can I still get a spot?
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    So what's this draft about? Are we drafting current players and then playing them against each other?

I am always keen for a draft, so if I am not 'in' already, can I still get a spot?
    The draft will determine which side each CricketWeb member's alter-ego player will play for; as we will have more than one side representing CW in a domestic/invitational league. I was going to divide the teams myself according to ability; but I think this method allows both greater player involvement, and a more organic development of squads.

I think you should let those who are keen form teams and get them to recruit other members, rather than drafting everyone. It'd help to foster some team identity and rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    I think you should let those who are keen form teams and get them to recruit other members, rather than drafting everyone. It'd help to foster some team identity and rivalry.
    I believe these things will happen organically in due course. A draft ensures there is limited one-sidedness to the teams, whilst creating a more immersive game atmosphere. I doubt whether there are sufficient numbers for every person who wants a team to fill their allotment; the CWC will loosely follow the old CWXI concept - that of centralised development teams, vying in domestic competition for both club honours and individual accolades, international selection etc.
    Last edited by DJellett; 01-09-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by DJellett View Post
    I believe these things will happen organically in due course. A draft ensures there is limited one-sidedness to the teams, whilst creating a more immersive game atmosphere. I doubt whether there are sufficient numbers for every person who wants a team to fill their allotment; the CWC will loosely follow the old CWXI concept - that of centralised development teams, vying in domestic competition for both club honours and individual accolades, international selection etc.
    This problem will not change in magnitude dependent on the selection format, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DJellett View Post
    Perhaps a compromise of sorts would be best - appoint three captains, let them recruit four or five other members each themselves and then draft the rest.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post
    This problem will not change in magnitude dependent on the selection format, though.
    If it were a draft-style concept, we would need enough players to register to fill every player's desire to draft a team (potentially in excess of 200 individual registrations at this stage alone), and I don't think this number is viable.

To have 2, 3, 4...however many CW teams we fill, competing in a domestic league (including invitational sides, if we need to fill the quota) is possible with the number of members we are likely to gain (only 30-60 players required). This also ensures optimum match time for each individual,and ample potential for expansion.
    Last edited by DJellett; 01-09-2012 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Perhaps a compromise of sorts would be best - appoint three captains, let them recruit four or five other members each themselves and then draft the rest.
    This is not far removed from what will eventuate anyhow - at this stage, a captain and vice-captain will already be allocated to each team, and drafting will commence there. I think the model you are suggesting, whilst idealistic, is too open to monopolising of talent - and could effectively lead to an imbalanced competition.
    Last edited by DJellett; 01-09-2012 at 10:30 AM.

It's not like we really have much to go on to select the talent, though.

State Vice-Captain
    How exactly do the squads work anyways? I'm assuming there is no risk of injuries, so I suggest squads be kept as small as possible; form as many teams as possible. By the looks of it, that would mean we already have three. Is there enough wicket keepers and openers for everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Garson007 View Post
    How exactly do the squads work anyways? I'm assuming there is no risk of injuries, so I suggest squads be kept as small as possible; form as many teams as possible. By the looks of it, that would mean we already have three. Is there enough wicket keepers and openers for everyone?
    Middle order batsmen opening wouldn't be that big of a deal. Not having enough wicket keepers would be an issue but I can think of three off hand at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Garson007 View Post
    Exactly my intention Garson, want as many of the domestic teams to be "CW-players only" as possible. Have been contemplating the use of an injury sim - to enhance realism, squad management difficulty, etc - but you have a valid point. At this point there are easily enough wicket-keepers for at least 4 teams, and as stated by PEWS, anyone can open the batting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information