• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CricketWeb Commentary

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Get the techies on this one. I have no idea how it'd work from a technical point of view, but given I'd rather listen to a horde of flatulence afflicted hippopotami than the Channel 9 krew, is there a way to set up a kind of Skype/Radio thing where approved CricketWeb members could step in and out during a Test match and provide commentary? Then, for those not approved to commentate - a way to listen to the stream.

Gotta be better than most commentary teams, and I think it would be fabulous to have teams like Howsie, Phlegm and Athers all 'in the box' at the same time.

Great way to generate traffic for the site, you'd think.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Thanks for the suggestion :)

If there's enough interest from the community in getting something like this happening, then can definitely consider options.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hypothetically we could use something like ustream and skype for the commentary. That would be fairly straightforward but would obviously be taking the traffic elsewhere.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Only if there is no censure of language and commentators are allowed to call out **** posters once in a while.

Flem274*

123/5
I would listen to this all the time.

If Spikey and Uvers were in the booth together would anyone understand a single word though?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It would be wonderful. There is the legality issue though. Some people who were doing testmatchsofa had to take it down and are now doing it under a different name. Not only would that operation be affected, if the legal people get involved, they would tie up the entire site. Hate to play a spoil sport, but I would say to drop this idea.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
There are various internet radio casters and whatnot out there, that could be of some use.

Athlai

Not Terrible
It would be wonderful. There is the legality issue though. Some people who were doing testmatchsofa had to take it down and are now doing it under a different name. Not only would that operation be affected, if the legal people get involved, they would tie up the entire site. Hate to play a spoil sport, but I would say to drop this idea.
Link or gtfo

Athlai

Not Terrible
The fact no legal issue ever arose and that the cast is still doing it makes me think otherwise. I think The Cricketer got them to stop when the ECB complained to them. And as the magazine will actually have a business relationship with the ICC they listened. Hence losing the Test Match Sofa name which was purchased by the magazine and the new name for the same team.

It's not a legal issue, it's a political one.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Search why testmatchsofa was shut down. Would we really want cw to be renamed vigilanteweb?

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Search why testmatchsofa was shut down. Would we really want cw to be renamed vigilanteweb?
I did, did you? Unless some of us are secretly working for the BBC or Sky and are pushing to cross promote and make a living off of it, there is no issue. The Crickter canned TMS not any legal suit. And they still do what they've been doing for 6 years.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The fact no legal issue ever arose and that the cast is still doing it makes me think otherwise. I think The Cricketer got them to stop when the ECB complained to them. And as the magazine will actually have a business relationship with the ICC they listened. Hence losing the Test Match Sofa name which was purchased by the magazine and the new name for the same team.

It's not a legal issue, it's a political one.
Not sure you know, don't you need to have the rights to do commentary etc?

Howe_zat

Audio File
TMS ended because the person who ran it stopped doing it, not because of legal issues. If it was illegal they wouldn't have done it for four years. The name was bought by The Cricketer, so it couldn't be independently revived. GC is a successor run by some of the same people but it's a different business.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Not sure you know, don't you need to have the rights to do commentary etc?
You need rights to do commentary from the ground. There is no law against broadcasting commentary on what you're watching on Sky. It's the legal equivalent of broadcasting yourself talking about Game of Thrones while it's live - so long as you're not actually broadcasting someone else's content you're kosher.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You need rights to do commentary from the ground. There is no law against broadcasting commentary on what you're watching on Sky. It's the legal equivalent of broadcasting yourself talking about Game of Thrones while it's live - so long as you're not actually broadcasting someone else's content you're kosher.
This makes sense. Fair enough.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Hypothetically we could use something like ustream and skype for the commentary. That would be fairly straightforward but would obviously be taking the traffic elsewhere.
James could embed the ustream onto a page on CW though.