• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question about making a freeware game

Prof_Lupin

Cricket Spectator
I wanted to make a cricket sim game in Java. Anyone do this already? I don't want the game to be very advanced, I'm gonna mostly make it for experience. And also what languages did you guys make it in? I know some Java (all the basic, OOP, GUI, Exception Handling, Polymorphism etc) and I know Advanced C. The problem is I know a lot more in C and am more comfortable in coding with that but I only know how to code console (like use printf, and fgets, scanf, etc). and I don't even know how to clear the console screen, forger GUI! So what do you reccomend? And do you have any tips? Thanks

IsuraE

School Boy/Girl Captain
I have started a cricket sim project in Java (haven't worked on it in a while). Java is a great for modular and object-oriented design. But my biggest problem with Java is the large amount of code that is necessary to get even a simple user interface up and running. I'm considering switching to visual basic or maybe visual C++ with .Net. If you want to make a realistic match simulation and have adequate AI and stats, it's important to use an object-oriented approach. Have you used OO in a big project before, because it is much trickier than one would think to actually apply a sound OO design. I know Dan Thomas used C++ with heavy OO design in ITC, he said that it was the only way to meaningfully organize all the complexity of a cricket sim. I also started the project as a learning experience, and I have learned a lot about programming and math/probability along the way. I have some source code (in Java) from the initial implementation. I can send it if you are interested, just to have a look at what is involved. Good luck on the project.

Prof_Lupin

Cricket Spectator
Ya it would be great to have a code reference if you can. I've only made a calculator with Java before. I do realize that OO is much helpful in products of this scale. I do not however know C++. I'm quite proficient in C, and want to learn C++ and Direct X, so I can make stand-alone programs, but for now Java will suffice. If you could send the code to me at royrules22@sbcglobal.net, it would be great. thanks.

IsuraE

School Boy/Girl Captain
I seemed to have lost some of the code, but I do have the core match engine code. I've just send it. You are free to do what you wish with the code. Keep us posted on your progress.