• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the Top : Episode I

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
18th July

Eldershaw: Clearly made a substantial impression, because I've managed to displace my Keegan from the FC squad and am now all set to make my much anticipated First Class debut. It may only be against Warwickshire, but can't get picky about these things.

YORKSHIRE V WARWICKSHIRE (CC)

Day 1 Conditions: Very Cloudy, Very Cloudy, Unsettled
Pitch: Something for seamers but nothing for spinners
Fingers crossed we bowl first.
Toss: Warwickshire (Bowl first)
This could be difficult...

Yorkshire XI: Noel Mullin, Vic Craven, Michael Lumb, Michael Vaughan*, Aaron Nixon, Derek Kenway +, Jacob Oram, Vic Nixon, Paul Hutchinson, Gary Eldershaw, Michael Davies.

N Mullin lbw b Betts 4 (7)
Score: 4/1 (2.1 overs)
Looks to be true hell out there! The ball zipping fiercely.

M Lumb b Bettes 0 (4)
Score: 4/2 (2.5 overs)
Oh dear! Young Aaron Nixon in to address the crisis...

A Nixon c O'Toole b Caterall 13 (46)
Score: 35/3 (17.2 overs)
Time for Michael to step up to the plate with a captain's innings. Not easy going out there though... Padded up already...

Lunch: 90/3 (Vic Craven 35*, Michael Vaughan 38*)
Well-played by both men, but especially skip. His blend of counterattack and sturdy defence is keeping us in this contest.

Half-century for Vic Craven off 152 balls. Very patient and very necessary. Here come the rains though...

53 minutes lost to rain.

Tea: 127/3 (Vic Craven 60*, Michael Vaughan 49*)
A very slow session there, but negotiated well enough given the prevailing conditions. It could have been far worse.

Half-century for Michael Vaughan off 131 balls. Fine captain's innings to date.

V Craven b Lawrence 76 (228)
Score: 154/4 (74 overs)
Out to a part-timer. Pretty disappointing that must be, especially with just about an hour and a half left in the day's play. Worth noting that Lawrence had Vaughan and Nixon dropped earlier.

D Kenway b Caterall 6 (34)
Score: 174/5 (85.4 overs)
Another late wicket. Jakes to face the music and the darkness now...

Stumps Day 1: 197/5 (Michael Vaughan 78*, Jacob Oram 15*)
Very good recovery from the early devastation. Still much work to be done though.
---
Day 2 Conditions: Unsettled, Sunny, Cloudy
Pitch: Difficult against pace, nothing for spinners

New ball taken: 217/5 (Michael Vaughan 92*, Jacob Oram 21*)
Good headway to this point this morning. Michael certainly intent on establishing himself early.

Score: 229/5 (104.5 overs)
Lovely ondrive by Vaughan to the ropes. That's a tremedous hundreds. Surely one of the finest I will ever witness. Great captain's knock.

Half-century to Jacob Oram off 144 balls. Slow but impressive innings.

Lunch: 279/5 (Michael Vaughan 119*, Jacob Oram 50*)
Pretty good session overall. Some positive play at various points throughout, but watchful overall in difficult conditions.

Tea: 369/5 (Michael Vaughan 165*, Jacob Oram 87*)
That was prelude to our capitalizing session. Now that the batsmen are in, the runs can come a bit freer, so the intent is to shift the gears up gradually.

J Oram b Betts 94 (274)
Score: 382/6 (171.5 overs)
The end of a quality innings. He did exactly what was needed at the time he came in, supporting the captain very well for a partnership of 208 runs for the 6th wicket.

M Vaughan c O'Toole b Richardson 187 (484)
Score: 409/7 (183.5 overs)
Surely one of the more memorable innings of his career, given circumstances and the quality of his play. Dropped early, but he put that behind him admirably. *Applause*

Jogging out to the middle now, but Michael's signalling motioning against it. I think he's declaring! Son of a..... no chance in the middle :(.

Yorkshire 409/7 declared (183.5 overs)
Michael Vaughan 187, Jacob Oram 94, Vic Nixon 76
D Catterall 3/113

Bowling time!

A few balls past the bat in the early stages, not much to report heading to the close. Oram on at 20/0 with 2 overs left in the day...

Stumps: 26/0 (P Lawrence 17*, M Pollard 9*)
Pretty good day overall. 212 more runs scored for just 2 wickets. Would have loved to get a couple of wickets before the close though.
---
Day 3 Conditions: Very Sunny, Very Sunny, Very Sunny
Pitch: Difficult against pace, slight turn for spinners

Very little going for us in the session so far. A total of 23 overs bowled in the innings (11 in the day) and we've conceded some 63 runs without a wicket. The batsmen look at total ease right now. A bit of a concern, as this track appears to be flattening out.
Michael Davies on... LBW appeal, drifting down leg, but the first real excitement for us today. Perhaps spin is the go?

M Pollard c Eldershaw b Davies 35 (89)
Score: 75/1 (27.5 overs)
Finally. Simple catch off the inside edge there. More needed though.

Score: 91/1 (34 overs)
Now Michael's brought himself into the attack. Good move in my oh so esteemed estimation.

P Lawrence lbw b Vaughan 48 (107)
Score: 91/2 (34.2 overs)
And that's the trick. I'm a genius.

A Wright lbw b Vaughan 12 (29)
Score: 108/3 (38.5 overs)
Horrible shot! That ball was nowhere to cut. Great wicket for us though!

Lunch: 155/3 (R Sierra 29*, J Spire 24*)
The spinners did a decent job in that session, though the batsmen adjusted well toward the close. Probably best to bring the seamers back right after the break. On a personal note, I've had better than 12-2-42-0. :(

Hutchinson and Oram start after lunch.

The runs continuing to come easily. Davies back into the attack and Nixon on for his first from the other end.

Stroke of luck!
J Spires run out (A Nixon) 36 (77)
Score: 194/4 (63.3 overs)
Trusty ol' run out. Just when you need him.

C Treanor b Davies 9 (22)
Score: 213/5 (70.3 overs)
Davies really settling into an impressive rhythm here. That one went straight on - a beauty!

T O'Toole b Davies 6 (5)
Score: 219/6 (72.2 overs)
Another one! Yorked this time. Still 40 runs off the follow-on. We can do this!

Score: 223/6 (75 overs)
In a dramatic atmosphere to an impressive round of applause, I return to mark my run. Clearly they've decided to got for the full haul here and wrap this puppy up quickly.

1st ball to R Sierra : defended off the back foot - no run
2nd ball to R Sierra : pushed to midoff for a brisk run
3rd ball to L Albright : defended off the front foot - no run
4th ball to L Albright : defended off the front foot - no run
5th ball to L Albright : defended off the front foot - no run
6th ball to L Albright : clipped to long leg for a single

Pretty happy with that. Found my line and length early and seem to be getting some useful energy. Not much movement about though.

R Sierra b Davies 59 (129)
Score: 228/7 (78.5 overs)
Yorked another one! 30 runs off the follow on now...

Four consecutive maidens by yours truly and I'm in the zone now. Still not much movement on this track, but keeping it tight at least, as we approach tea. Hutchinson back for Davies, to bowl a couple overs before the break...

M Betts b Eldershaw 2 (26)
Score: 241/8 (89.2 overs)
Yes! That's what I needed. First FC wicket and I'll always remember it. Bowled through the gate due a superb in-nipper.

Tea: 242/8 (L Albright 17*, D Caterall 1*)
Even better session that. I think we really broke their back in that one. Just need to score these last two wickets and enforce the follow-on ASAP.

L Albright b Davies 21 (73)
Score: 246/9 (95.3 overs)
Another one beaten by lack of turn. They're playing for it and finding the ball holding its line. Comical stuff.

D Caterall lbw b Davies 2 (24)

Warwickshire 253 all out (97.2 overs)
R Sierra 59, P Lawrence 48
P Hutchinson 18-6-52-0, G Eldershaw 22-7-51-1, J Oram 13-2-26-0, M Davies 29.2-7-69-6, M Vaughan 9-0-35-2, V Nixon 6-3-11-0

Follow-on enforced, so no time to catch our breaths. Hutchinson and Jakes open up this time.

Pollard dropped by Kenway on 5! He's missing some potentially big chances these days. Not cool.
Now Pollard bowled off a Hutchinson noball! Unbelievable!

Score: 23/0 (12 overs)
Nice comfortable start. I can ease into my spell from there...
My first 3 overs for 7 runs. The score now 37/0 and Davies on...

Stumps Day 3: 55/0 (M Pollard 28*, P Lawrence 23*)
Very good day up until that final bit of action. We're generally not displaying much penetration in admittedly good batting conditions. One day remains and we can only hope for some swing early tomorrow morning.
---
Day 3 Conditions: Very Sunny, Unsettled, Very Sunny
Pitch: Difficult against pace, some turn for spinners

Davies and Hutchinson...

M Pollard c&b Hutchinson 47 (105)
Score: 78/1 (30.2 overs)
Good slower delivery and a leading edge for a simple catch. Well thought out.

A Wright c Eldershaw b Davies 2 (12)
Score: 87/2 (34 overs)
Another catch. We're forming a pretty good team Davies and I. 8 to go...

Oram for Hutchinson...

Score: 103/2 (45 overs)
Vaughan joins Oram at the bowling crease and Davies rests.

R Sierra lbw b Vaughan 15 (45)
Score: 121/3 (51.2 overs)
The ploy worked again. Sierra hit on the pad by a low full toss though! Shame...

Oram off after a fine spell. Me on for a finer spell...

1st ball to P Lawrence : defended off the back foot - no run
2nd ball to J Spires : hed to midoff for a brisk run
3rd ball to J Spires : OUT! Bowled'm!

J Spires b Eldershaw 7 (13)
Score: 138/4 (56.3 overs)
Pitched on middle and off and straightening beautifully to knock back offstump. Wonderful bit of bowling as I will say so myself. Unplayable nearly.

4th ball to C Treanor : pushed to the right of midwicket for a single
5th ball to P Lawrence : flicked to midwicket for a brisk run
6th ball to C Treanor : defended off the front foot - no run

Lunch: 142/4 (P Lawrence 61*, C Treanor 3*)
Not quite as good as we hoped for, but still good headway. We'll be needing to finish them off in this coming session to have a clear victory shot though.

C Treanor c Mullin b Eldershaw 15 (25)
Score: 164/5 (64.3 overs)
Top catch by Mullin. Low and to his right and he held it with both hands. Good delivery by myself though. Pitched full on offstump and seaming away. 2 in the bag now.

P Lawrence c Kenway b V Nixon 71 (193)
Score: 168/6 (65.3 overs)
Very good innings by Lawrence, but just undone by some extra bounce in his attempted cut shot there. That's the big wicket.

T O'Toole b V Nixon 3 (5)
Score: 173/7 (67.1 overs)
Awful shot... but we'll take it. Just a wild swipe across the line and bowled comprehensively.

M Betts b Eldershaw 1 (2)
Score: 174/8 (68.1 overs)
Bowled another! Pitched up and through the driving gate. 3 now! Dream debut!

D Caterall c Kenway b Eldershaw 0 (1)
Score: 174/9 (68.2 overs)
On a hat-trick!!! I'm on fire! Surely it doesn't get better than this!

Hat-trick ball to A Richardson: back of a length and played down to short leg - no run, no wicket :(

A Richardson c Mullin b Eldershaw 3 (11)

Warwickshire 178 all out (72.3 over)
P Lawrence 71, M Pollard 47
P Hutchinson 12-0-48-1, J Oram 17-4-25-0, G Eldershaw 15.3-2-33-5, M Davies 14-3-24-1, 7-0-27-1, V Nixon 7-2-18-2

And the shall write "Such began his legendary career"...

22 runs to win...

Yorkshire 23/0 (8.1 overs)
N Mullin 10*, V Craven 11*

Comfortable...

Yorkshire won by 10 wickets.
A very much-needed win there, especially because Leicestershire thrashed Somerset by 338 runs.

Man of the Match: Michael Vaughan

Standings
Chapionship: 2nd (6 points behind Leicestershire)
NCL: 1st (8 points ahead of Leics, 1 more game played, 6.63 ahead of Leics on NRR)
Trophy: Bah! Humbug!
Super Cup: Champions!

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Yeah great stuff...

I was even more impressed by the second spell in the first innings though, 10 overs 1-9:D

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
31st July

Eldershaw: Vaughan and Jenkins called up to the senior side, so Sam Adamson will get a game alongside me for this one. Should be great fun as I feel I'm in pretty good touch.

YORKSHIRE V LEICESTERSHIRE (NCL)

Day 1 Conditions: Unsettled, unsettled, sunny
Pitch: Something for seamers but nothing for spinners
Toss: Leicestershire (Bat first)

Yorkshire XI: Noel Mullin, Jacob Oram, Sam Adamson, Michael Lumb *, Aaron Nixon, Derek Kenway +, Vic Nixon, Phil Moore, Gary Eldershaw, Paul Hutchinson, Michael Davies.

Score: 3/0 (1 over)

New ball granted to me again, even with Moore in the side (252 wickets at 16.01) so I'm pretty psyched...
... a couple singles off the over and 4 defensive strokes in between.

F White c&b Hutchinson 3 (11)
Score: 7/1 (2.5 overs)
Pushed too early at one that just held its line. Early wicket. Good start.

H Ball b Hutchinson 11 (10)
Score: 19/2 (4.5 overs)
Horrid shot that. Played down the wrong line entirely. Adam East in (23.15 average). Interesting story about East. I used to date his sister... messy situation... that's another story for another time...

G Batty b Eldershaw 13 (17)
Score: 31/3 (7.5 overs)
Kept low admittedly, but when I keep it full and straight, I expect results. Strike one! Alexander Loudon (22.89)

Score: 40/3 (12 overs)
Hutchinson (6-0-19-2) replaced by Moore...
... 4 off the over.

Score: 44/3 (13 overs)
Oram replaces me (6-1-21-1)...
...maiden.

A East b Oram 18 (40)
Score: 60/4 (17.6 overs)
Was only a matter of time. If only he could bat as well as he punches... *ouch*...
Ex-Yorkshire boy Jeff Benton (12.94) in...

Ex-Yorkshire boy Jeff Benton out...
J Benton b Moore 9 (25)
Score: 82/5 (24.3 overs)
Thomas New (13.32) to the crease. Shouldn't be too much of a bother this one...

A Loudon b Moore 24 (47)
Score: 83/6 (26.1 overs)
It's beyond me why Phil isn't in England colours more consistently. The guy's a star! Naqqash Tahir (10.44)...

Score: 90/6 (27 overs)
I'm back for Jakes (7-2-28-1)...

1st ball to Tahir: OUT! Bowled offstump.
No foot movement there and I'll gladly capitalize on it.

N Tahir b Eldershaw 5 (5)
Score: 90/7 (27.1 overs)

2nd ball to McCulloch: hit on the pad going down leg - no run
3rd ball to McCulloch: pitched up and defended - no run
4th ball to McCulloch: back of a length and quick, but defended well off the back foot - no run... applause for that effort
5th ball to McCulloch: pitched up and defended - no run
6th ball to McCulloch: pitched up and smacked down the ground - FOUR!

Score: 96/7 (30 overs)
Vic Nixon on for Phil Moore (9-1-22-2)...
... 3 off the over.

Unbelievable!!! New dropped by Adamson at slip off the second ball of the over, then McCulloch at midwicket by Oram off the 4th! A decent spell of 9-2-27-2, but I want my other two wickets! *sulks*

Score: 104/7 (33 overs)
Hutchinson replaces me. Lots for him to live up to...
... 4 runs off the over.

Score: 119/7 (39 overs)
Hutchinson's 9 overs are up and he's replaced by Davies as the innings close draws near...
... 6 off the over.

T New c Eldershaw b V Nixon 14 (39)
Score: 125/8 (40.1 overs)
Pulled right into my lap. That partnership was a bit annoying, but I last I got the chance to show other people how to catch. Adamson, I'm lookin' at you!

Score: 134/8 (41 overs)
Oram back for Davies...
... 3 runs.

J Ormond b V Nixon 16 (17)
Score: 154/9 (44.5 overs)

Leicestershire 154/9 (45 overs)
J McCulloch 30*, A Loudon 24
P Hutchinson 9-0-29-2, G Eldershaw 9-2-27-2, P Moore 9-1-22-2, J Oram 9-2-38-1, V Nixon 8-1-30-2

And onward to the chase. I shouldn't have to, but I want to bat. Looking forward to it...

N Mullin run out 29 (54)
Score: 64/1 (17.3 overs)
The price of being positive - run out coming for a second. Sam in...

Nice clip to midwicket for single and Jakes gets another half-century. Great season he's having.

J Oram b McCulloch 53 (72)
Score: 99/2 (26.4 overs)
Lovely slower one to deceive Oram. Michael Lumb (46.99 avge) to the crease...

M Lumb b Ormond 13 (26)
Score: 124/3 (33.5 overs)
Yorked superbly by Jimmy Ormond. Still in control. Young Aaron Nixon (33.30 avge)...

S Adamson c New b Benton 42 (69)
Score: 151/4 (41.1 overs)
Disappointing time to get out, but still a very good innings by Sam. Well-played. Good delivery admittedly.

Yorkshire 155/4 (42 overs)
J Oram 53, S Adamson 42, N Mullin 29
J McCulloch 9-0-29-1, J Benton 8-0-33-1, J Ormond 9-0-35-1

Yorkshire won by 6 wickets.

Standings
Championship: 3rd (9 points behind Leicestershire, 1 less game played)
NCL: 1st (8 points ahead of Leics, 1 more game played, 7.15 ahead of Leics on NRR)
Trophy: Bah! Humbug!
Super Cup: Champions!
------
**Christmas Career Update**
A special treat to my fans for the holidays. :)

First Class[/B]
1 Match
37 Overs
6 Wickets
Avge: 18
BB: 5/33

One Day
7 Matches
58 Overs
8 Wickets
Avge: 29.62
BB: 3/18