cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Ashes Cricket 2017??

  1. #16
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    163
    A bit of gameplay from the folks at IGN and some poor discussion from yours truly.


  2. #17
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8
    Is it good this time round?

  3. #18
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Great A'Tuin
    Posts
    13,553
    Every time I buy one of these I think that this is the time it will go from being better than all that came before to actually good. But it just...isn't.
    Scarlett likes this.
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.

  4. #19
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    54,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Every time I buy one of these I think that this is the time it will go from being better than all that came before to actually good. But it just...isn't.
    DBC14 was a big leap forward. I'm kind of prepared to call that one good. It hasn't aged amazingly but it was definitely good for a 2014 indy game.

    DBC17 just wasn't finished when they released it - it was a downgrade at release. A bunch of patches later and it was almost what you'd have expected to be released following DBC14, but most people had already returned or given up on the game by that point, and it still wasn't the upgrade many were hoping for.

    I haven't played AC17 yet (I can't yet - the one downside of belonging to the PC masterace ) but it has good reviews, from many of the same people who (rightly) trashed the initial DBC17 release, so I have high hopes.
    Bijed likes this.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'


    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    People go into politics to change the world. That's a bad idea. The only good reason to go into politics is to sweep government away so that the world can change itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.ag View Post
    Remember kids, only punch Nazis when they steal your bell
    Quote Originally Posted by Babar Hayat
    Chinese guy comes in


  5. #20
    Evil Scotsman Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    564 - greatest of all
    Posts
    30,110
    Does it have the same career mode?
    ​63*

    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Come on Lancashire!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Let it be known for the record that the font in the top of the picture noted that Kohli was wearing Jimmy Choo shoes and Happy Socks

  6. #21
    Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madhouse on Madison
    Posts
    15,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    DBC14 was a big leap forward. I'm kind of prepared to call that one good. It hasn't aged amazingly but it was definitely good for a 2014 indy game.

    DBC17 just wasn't finished when they released it - it was a downgrade at release. A bunch of patches later and it was almost what you'd have expected to be released following DBC14, but most people had already returned or given up on the game by that point, and it still wasn't the upgrade many were hoping for.

    I haven't played AC17 yet (I can't yet - the one downside of belonging to the PC masterace ) but it has good reviews, from many of the same people who (rightly) trashed the initial DBC17 release, so I have high hopes.
    This would be the main selling point for me.
    Forever 63* at the SCG

  7. #22
    Cow
    Cow is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    WA / Jakarta
    Posts
    891
    Will it have a Streetfighter element to the game? Stokes will obviously be the final boss.. similar to M Bison.
    DriveClub likes this.

  8. #23
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    54,499
    Came out on PC this morning and I played it for a few hours before the Test came on -- I love it. It's actually even a bit better than I expected.. there were some good reviews but it didn't look that much better than DBC17 on the YouTube LetsPlays of it I watched (mainly GingerBreadMan's ). It absolutely is.
    Bijed likes this.

  9. #24
    State Captain Bijed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    12,472
    Posts
    1,976
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Came out on PC this morning and I played it for a few hours before the Test came on -- I love it. It's actually even a bit better than I expected.. there were some good reviews but it didn't look that much better than DBC17 on the YouTube LetsPlays of it I watched (mainly GingerBreadMan's ). It absolutely is.
    Had completely missed that it was out on PC now, wasn't expecting it until January or so (I think like with DBC17), cheers for mentioning it - downloading now
    Battle of the Members XIV is happening now!

    Visit the thread to nominate and vote for you favourite members!

  10. #25
    Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madhouse on Madison
    Posts
    15,659
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Came out on PC this morning and I played it for a few hours before the Test came on -- I love it. It's actually even a bit better than I expected.. there were some good reviews but it didn't look that much better than DBC17 on the YouTube LetsPlays of it I watched (mainly GingerBreadMan's ). It absolutely is.
    If I buy this and it's not good, then I'm coming after you.

    EDIT: reading a lot of complaints over at PC that the batting is way too easy on the hardest difficulties. Have you noticed this too?
    Last edited by nightprowler10; 16-12-2017 at 01:23 PM.

  11. #26
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    54,499
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    If I buy this and it's not good, then I'm coming after you.

    EDIT: reading a lot of complaints over at PC that the batting is way too easy on the hardest difficulties. Have you noticed this too?
    Yeah that's definitely true, especially if you use the new controls.

  12. #27
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Great A'Tuin
    Posts
    13,553
    Stumpings are pissing me off. Play and miss at a spinner and you're basically auto-gone.

  13. #28
    State Captain Bijed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    12,472
    Posts
    1,976
    First impression pretty decent. Graphically seems much the same as DBC17, though some of the new animations are nice and the likenesses of the licensed players are decent enough. Areas outside stadiums still seem to be from the original Operation Flashpoint, however, which is a shame.

    Batting to me feels much like DBC17, but looks nicer thanks to the animations, which make it look much more authentic. Haven't tried pace bowling yet but spin bowling feels quite a lot different - seems much harder to put the ball where you want (a good thing imo, on DBC17 it was basically trivial).

    AI seems better as well. Bowlers don't seem to decide to pound out a borderline-wide line for half a spell anymore and nor to batsmen get out at bat-pad two-thirds of the time because they drive every second delivery.

    Commentary is still pretty much typical of what you'd expect, though it's nice to have a well-known commentator doing voices (I know, even if it is Slats - he doesn't seem to randomly say things with the wrong pronunciation or inflection like the guy in the old game did). Incorrect commentary being said happens fairly often, mind. Basically enjoying it overall.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Stumpings are pissing me off. Play and miss at a spinner and you're basically auto-gone.
    This is a gripe, though not quite what you're saying (though I'm not doubting you) - using the leave button against spinners seems to almost guarantee you'll get stumped because the animation has you then leave your crease.
    Last edited by Bijed; 18-12-2017 at 03:29 PM.

  14. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Blue Moon
    Posts
    534
    I’m going to agree with Dan and disagreeing with Prince well I never thought that was even possible. Haven’t bought the game based on the clips and patches already needed, money is a little tight and I just can’t justify paying for a game which is slightly different to DBC 17. Maybe in a few months time things might be different.
    PC reviews don’t take them as serious because some are loyal dedicated fans and don’t believe there is much substance in them. BA are trying and this is no criticism.

  15. #30
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    54,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    I’m going to agree with Dan and disagreeing with Prince well I never thought that was even possible. Haven’t bought the game based on the clips and patches already needed, money is a little tight and I just can’t justify paying for a game which is slightly different to DBC 17. Maybe in a few months time things might be different.
    PC reviews don’t take them as serious because some are loyal dedicated fans and don’t believe there is much substance in them. BA are trying and this is no criticism.
    I actually thought this too before having played it, just having watched clips and read complaints etc. It 'feels' a lot more different to DBC17 than it looks in gameplay videos though.

    Maybe you should wait a few weeks for the inevitable patch, then try it out then and get a refund if it doesn't work out for you (I think Steam is pretty much okay with people doing this). I'd definitely recommend finding a way to at least try the game out though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. **Official** County Cricket 2017
    By Howe_zat in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1544
    Last Post: 17-01-2018, 07:13 AM
  2. Road to the 2017-18 Ashes in Australia
    By grecian in forum Ashes 2017/18
    Replies: 1333
    Last Post: 28-11-2017, 03:08 AM
  3. Cricket captain 2017 | gameplay
    By BobbyGGaming in forum Cricket Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16-07-2017, 01:59 PM
  4. ***Official: Countdown to the 2017-2018 Ashes***
    By Burgey in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 300
    Last Post: 18-05-2017, 08:00 PM
  5. BT Sport to show Ashes in 2017-18
    By LegionOfBrad in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 24-08-2015, 05:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •