• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bedfordshire Join The League

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't think you could only have Youths all the way,I thought it was just the first season....

DaveyHall777

School Boy/Girl Captain
jamee999 said:
I didn't think you could only have Youths all the way,I thought it was just the first season....
I hadn't thought about a second season!! :wacko:

I thnk if you manage to stay up (not finish bottom in both leagues) then you are a fully integrated member of the league and so you can have who you like.

DaveyHall777

School Boy/Girl Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Update from the end of Lincolnshire's second season...

C&G: Round 4 (having beaten Lincolnshire in round three.. oops)
NCL: 7-9 and sixth place - never quite looked like putting a promotion run together
CC: DIVISION TWO CHAMPIONS!

Samaraweera took 129 wickets and made 1,512 runs, ably supported by fellow off-spinner Danny Eddery (79w, 525r) and opener Scott Dickens (~1100r) as we won at the Riverside on the last day to pip Essex to the title. The three spinners (middle order batsman Justin Chandler took 6) picked up 214 of the 295 wickets to fall.. can you guess how I prepared my home wickets?

The turning point of the season was when reserve batsman Ian Boston (83*) and number ten Scott Buller (62) batted for five hours against Leicestershire to stave off almost certain defeat. From thereon in we won four games out of five and sealed the title.

Only one major new signing (aside from another rabbit keeper), left-arm seamer Dean Tunnicliff signing from the Lincs Academy, having impressed for Stamford in the Premier League. Let's see if we can stay up..

It's so annoying having to stick to youth players only... in the last three years, Dean, Bassano and Hoggard have all retired due to no-one wanting to sign them, and I've got £145,000 sitting unused in my account. Grr...
You're a genius - Well done for getting promoted :D

you should have used Magpie to avoid playing Lincolnshire in the Cup :laugh:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Promotion was one thing, survival in Division One was going to be an entirely different prospect.

Following the same plans as the seasons before, Lincolnshire adopted a spin-attack approach at home as the off-breaks of Samaraweera, Eddery and the part-timer Chandler were relied on to take the bulk of the wickets, while the depth of the batting order would again be crucial to eke out points and turn defeats into draws.

The final analysis:
SUPER CUP: A superb team display all-round leads Lincolnshire to a 5-0 record in the Groups, and Danny Eddery returned 4-39 to see off Sussex in the Quarter Final, before an excellent team batting performance posted 301-7 in an easy win against Notts in the Semis, Samaraweera taking 5-41. The final was a different story, however, as despite Derek Moon's 4-50, Hampshire's West Indian Wilf Tosh hit 116. Lincs' reply never looked close and only 64 for the eighth wicket and 10 off the last over kept the margin down to three runs.

C&G TROPHY: A fairly woeful display against Scotland resulted in a scare as Harry Birt's 106 kept the game in the balance before the last six wickets fell for 36. Another poor performance at the Riverside was only rectified by Scott Buller's 4-44 and Danny Keller's 64* in an unbeaten 8th wicket stand of 30. We finally turned in a decent display in the Quarter-final at Derby, Samaraweera following up his 2-21 with 89 in an easy win, before a spineless batting collapse at Edgbaston handed Warwickshire a final place.

NCL D2: A thoroughly unspectacular start to the season, involving back-to-back defeats, was swiftly swept away into the files of the memory bank as Lincolnshire won 12 matches to finish twelve points clear at the top of the Second Division, with last year's relegated sides Lancashire and Worcestershire also being promoted. Hampshire won the NCL title by a margin.

CC D1: Warwickshire were Lincolnshire's first opponents, and Lincolnshire were the side that hit the ground running the fastest, as all of the Imps' bowlers performed well, Samaraweera's match figures of 9-118 the pick in a 10-wicket win that would prove crucial come the end of the season. A hugely disappointing failure to chase 203 at Cardiff in early May left Lincolnshire hovering around the relegation zone, and any early optimism seemed quenched.

Incredibly, this was the nadir of the season for the side. Back-to-back innings victories over defending Champions Sussex (227 and 110 runs respectively) in June provided a springboard for an unlikely title challenge, Danny Keller scoring centuries in both games. Northamptonshire's last pair frustrated the Imps for an hour after Tom Moody's excellent 232, before Steve Dickens' aggressive final-day declaration backfired as Nasim Khan struck 137 and Vikram Solanki 77 to fire Worcestershire to victory at New Road.

The fixture card was kind enough to allow Lincolnshire to play Somerset when the Taunton side was missing both openers to International duty, and any side with Rikki Clarke at five is not the hardest game in the world. The elements conspired to knock four hours out of the game, however, and Justin Chandler made the final breakthrough with two overs remaining of the final session.

A rain-blighted draw with Warwickshire left the Imps on the top spot with four games to go, and I told the Lincoln Echo that I thought that two wins and a draw should be enough from here. Match figures of 11-117 from Thilan took us to a comfortable win over Glamorgan - though not before we stumbled to 17-4 chasing 46.

Samaraweera's only FC century of the summer was the highlight of a less than thrilling draw at Canterbury before Richard Stewart's 127 and Sama's 8 wickets spearheaded us to victory at Chelmsford, Essex, so with one game left Lincolnshire sat 14 points clear of Warwickshire (who visited Kent) and 16 ahead of their visitors in the final game, Somerset. Scott Buller's 6-107 kept Somerset to 345, and the West Country side's failure to make 350 meant that they could not now pass Lincolnshire.

The hosts' nerves failed them in reply, though, falling to 99-6 and then 148-8 before Chandler (49), Dean Tunnicliff (38) and the oft-criticised batting of keeper Anthony Wakeham (24) dragged Lincs to 238. Now, if Warwickshire didn't make 350, the job was done. 3-52 from Matt Banes at Canterbury completed Kent's part of the bargain and the title was heading up the A1. A career-best 4-24 from Chandler and fifties from Keller and Moon, confirmed the draw for Lincolnshire and the celebrations began in earnest.

Samaraweera has been retained as an overseas player for a fourth season, whilst Ian Boston, Tim Lau, Brian Burke, Frank East and Lawrence Slade have all left Chichester Road.

Young off-spinner Ian Charnock has joined from Louth, highly-rated opener Ken Matthews has signed from Long Sutton, Lawrence Mason has joined as cover for the batting lineup after impressing at Norfolk, whilst the ex-Huntingdonshire pair of medium pacer Aaron Horton and slow left-armer Frank Hind will provide back-up with the ball, however a reserve wicketkeeper has not been found, so Richard Stewart will deputise behind the stumps if necessary.
FINAL RECORD: P16 W7 L2 D7 Bat50 Bowl56 Pt208

FC STATISTICS - 2006
Steve Dickens: 982r @ 33.86, 6x50, HS 77
Tom Moody: 1256r @ 48.31, 4x50, 5x100, HS 232
Thilan Samaraweera: 935r @ 34.63, 1x100, 5x50, HS 132; 109w @ 19.39, BB 7-79, 5Wx10, 10Wx4
Richard Stewart: 1000r @ 35.71, 3x100, 4x50, HS 127
Derek Moon: 1198r @ 47.92, 1x100, 10x50, HS 114; 30w @ 40.67, BB 4-46
Danny Keller: 923r @ 41.95, 2x100, 5x50, HS 157
Justin Chandler: 828r @ 51.75, 1x100, 6x50, HS 121*; 19w @ 18.05, BB 4-24
Danny Eddery: 431r @ 22.68, 2x50, HS 87; 67w @ 31.10, BB 6-63, 5Wx3
Stuart Buller: 399r @ 23.47, 2x50, HS 81*, 21w @ 49.52, BB 6-107, 5Wx1
Dean Tunnicliff: 267r @ 24.27, 1x50, HS 53*, 34w @ 38.06, BB 5-44, 5Wx1
Anthony Wakeham: 135r @ 19.29, HS 24

Ian Boston made 160 @ 26.67, Frank East 2 @ 2.00 and Joseph Garrett 27 @ 27.00.

Zeroes to Heroes in three seasons - I challenge anyone to do it in two!

Attachments

DaveyHall777

School Boy/Girl Captain
Neil - you're just too good at this game! :thumbsup:

My next game in the National league ended in disaster

Worcestshire won the toss and put us into bat

We got 210 - 9 with Holt 97 (still hasn't managed to get the hundred yet)

The reply: 212 - 0 (Yep, an unbroken first wicket stand of 212!)
What could I do?

I think this sums it up :blowup:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Rutland's First Season

County Championship Division 2:6th W3 D8 L5 Bat 55 Bowl 44 Pts 167

National League Division 2:3RD PROMOTED IN THE FIRST SEASON!!!! W9 L7 Pts36

C&G Trophy: Out in 3rd round to Gloucs :(

Super Cup: Out in Group Stages

Batting to 11 on occasions and reagulary to 10 with Middlesex above us on the same amount of points in the Championship. Thilan Samaraweera scoring 2089 FC runs at an average of 69 with 6 centurys and a double,he also made 1083 runs at 51 in OD cricket with 2 centuries at a strike rate of 100 he took 62 FC wickets at 24 also taking 48 wickets at 15,2 good spinners in Harrington and Pointer,stats soon.

FC Stars (+1000 runs,+25 wickets)

David Rutter 1221@39 1 century HS 156
Alan Driver 1164@44 3 centurys HS 218*
Phil Astle 1262@43 1 century HS 111
Larry Harrington 1218@39 2 centurys HS 119,40@33 Best 7-23
Thilan Samaraweera 2089@69 6 centurys HS 214*,62@24 Best 7-60
Mitchell Pointer 51w@33 Best 8-128

OD Stars (+400 runs +15 wickets)

Ian Wilkinson 445r@37 1 century HS 121*
Harry Boseley 490r@32 0 centurys HS 79*, 21w@37 Best 4-29
Phil Astle 417r@26 0 centurys HS 97*
Larry Harington 696r@38 0 centurys HS 70, 33w@27 Best 4-54
Thilan Samaraweera 1083@51 2 centurys HS 160, 48w@15 Best 5-48
Mitchell Pointer 475@39 0 centurys HS 66, 27w@33 Best 4-25

We were all-ways a OD force and just about deservered our Promotion,Mid-Table CC was a good result,and I'll hope for better luck in next year's C&G Draw,And I was learning the team in the Super Cup.

Thilan Samaraweera got 2089 runs,the highest in the country and Alan Driver made the highest score in England,218.

Thank you,

Rutland CCC Head Coach.

Last edited:

DaveyHall777

School Boy/Girl Captain
Neil Pickup said:
Your problem is that you deleted Middlesex, who have been the easiest meat for me!
Does this affect the quality of youth players that come through?

I put the money available to train youth players up to max the season before I started with Bedfordshire but surely the computer randomly generates extra players for your squad?

DaveyHall777

School Boy/Girl Captain
I've shortened the match reports

8th CC - Glamorgan

We record another fantastic victory - but only just...

Batting first we knocked up 301 runs. Raffety made 79 and Lynn made 59 this was then followed but superb bowling from Leaburn, Lynn, Ready and Peterson who bowled Glamorgan out for 174

Leaburn 4 - 31
Ready 2 - 52
Peterson 2 - 55
Lynn 2 - 34

With a healthy lead we were cruising at 125 - 4 with good innings from Sherbourne 48 and Raffety 59. Unfortunately a collaspe saw us bowled out for 185 and a lead of 312.

The pitch was still good and Glamorgan were set to make a real battle. At 56 - 3 it all looked so good until a great partnership brought the score to 145 - 4. After tea on the 4th day Glamorgan were 268 - 8 and with just the tail enders to go a victory looked certain until 18 more runs were added to bring it to 286 - 9. The last wicket put on another 19 before being bowled out 7 runs short. Brilliant bowling by Ready 5 - 88 meant that Bedfordshire breath a sigh of relief and notch up 2 wis on the trot

Come on Bedfordshire

DaveyHall777

School Boy/Girl Captain
NEWS FLASH

Holt injured for 5 weeks - The main batting strength is down and out!!

9th Game - Durham (4th in the league)

We are batting first again. At 48 - 3 it was looking worrying but a great partnership of 137 between Sherbourne and Perham helped the score look respectable. A good sixth wicket stand of 69 saw Fry make 30 and Sherbourne get his second 100 this season. Bowled out for 101 eventually and the team were all out for 292.

Durham make an excellent reply falling 3 short of 400 and set up a good lead. A victory was looking likely if Bedfordshire couldn't make up the lost ground of the first innings. Bowling figures are once again good from Ready 5 - 78 and Dyer(the new boy) 3 - 110

Some solid batting through day 3 and 4 brought Bedfordshire to 318 all out - Underwood 77 and Sherbourne and Lynn both with 44. There was 1 and a half hours left and Durham needed over 200 - Another draw and more valuable points

Bedfordshire go 8th!!

Last edited:

DaveyHall777

School Boy/Girl Captain
A couple more defeats in the NFL leave us hoplessly bottom with no points

And now for a lesson in batting!

10th Game - Leicestershire

On a beautiful day and with a good pitch we decide to bat first. We notch up a good score for us at 309 all out. Sherbourne shows good temprement out on the pitch with a good score of 92. Perham assists him and makes 77 and Rafftety 43. These being the backbone of my batters especially without Holt. A miserable tail end means that we lose 3 wickets for no runs!!

Leicestershire then show a wonderful display of batting. Three centuries, one from Cunliffe, Wells and Adshead mean they declare 508 - 9. The second wicket stand of 237 was amazing yet Ready maintains his form with 3 - 91 and Dyer gets 3 - 76.

There wasn't much hope for even a draw already 199 runs behind. Bowled out for 288 Leicestershire didn't even need to get 100 to win. The cruise to a comfortable 8 wicket victory.

Bedfordshire are back on the bottom of the table - Please see attached!
An update on the first class averages is also available

Attachments

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I decided to have a crack at this to see how I go, and its been completely disastrous. I've lost all 10 CC games and have only won 1 Super Cup and 1 NL game. :laugh:

The only good news for my team is the number three batsman averaging 38.11 in FC (mainly due to his 162* in the last CC game where we scored 420 and got a first innings lead, but were bowled out for 110 in the second innings and lost by 8 wickets), and the main fast bowler has taken 30 wickets in 10 FC matches at an average of 27.26.

I think its best to not mention the averages of the other bowlers, I'll just say that one of the spinners is averaging between 80 and 90.

DaveyHall777

School Boy/Girl Captain
CC Hampshire v Bedfordshire

We choose to bat first and Underwood and Sherbourne get off to a good start with a first wicket stand of 92. Underwood went for 53 and Sherbourne eventually for 50. Duncan produced a fine innings with the tail end making 79 not out and Bedfordshire were bowled out for 312.

With some superb bowling by Ready 4 - 18 off 18 overs help Hampshire collapse to 185 all out and set Bedfordshire up to what should have been an easy victory. Peterson helped with 3 - 59 and Leaburn 2 - 48.

Bedfordshires second innings was not as good. If it wasn't for Sherbourne who started and finished the innings making 108 in between then Bedofrdshire would have completely collapsed. The second highest score was 'Extras' with 26, Richards got 24 and the whole side managed 230 all out.

It left Hampshire with 351 to win in just over a day.

They got off to a great start with a second wicket stand of 99 and a third wicket stand of 93. They were 220 - 3. With 131 runs to get and 7 wickets remaining the game was on!

The final moments were tense. Hampshire were 343 - 9 just 9 runs behind and 2 overs to go before the end of the day. Richards bowled a dot ball then he was hit for 2 before bowling out the last man with only 7 runs to spare and only 9 balls to go.

Bowling figures
Richards 4 - 35
Leaburn 2 - 67
Peterson 2 - 98
Ready 1 - 86

Bedfordshire sigh with relief as they narrowly get another crucial win.

Derbyshire next and they are first in the league.

DaveyHall777

School Boy/Girl Captain
I just wrote a long commentry on our best result yet but I lost it.

In short we beat Derbys who are top by 4 wickets.

We got out highest total 445 all out in our first innings. 200 runs were added for the last 3 wickets.

Ready was on form taking 6 - 72 to bowl Derbys out for 288 in their first innings.

It was great!!! 8-)

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Right had to start again for an unavoidable reason but hopefully will do better after replacing Durham,update soon.