• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Field Settings....

hourn

U19 Cricketer
just wondering what types of fielding positions you guys use.

Does it really matter?? i.e. if the computer decides the ball is going for four would it not matter were you've put your fielders...

and do you guys use the default field positions or make your own up, and if you make your own up are they more conventional field settings or rather odd ones.

I make my own up but they're generally pretty standard - i've got about 25 different ones set up for each type of bowler but they just don't seem to be working.

If i can get a bowler to average under 30 for a test year i've done pretty well and under 25 is unreal. In my first year with Australia McGrath averaged 28, Lee 27, Gillespie 31 and Warne 39....

any tips.

IsuraE

School Boy/Girl Captain
I usually don't change the predefined settings. Although I always choose my line/length according to the batsmen's weaknesses.
However, I've noticed that in one-day matches it might be helpful to move 3rd man finer since a lot of boundries seem to be hit in that region, especially in the last 10 overs of a match.
Also, I've noticed that if the AI is 7 or more wickets down and good batsmen is still batting, then the good batsmen keeps the strike and hence doesn't take singles. It is helpful then to bowl slightly more aggressively to the weaker batsmen since this makes it more difficult to take an easy single and get off strike.
Offcourse this tactic is only used then the AI is chasing. I've won countless games by 10-20 runs when only scoring around 225 (international) with this tactic.

hourn

U19 Cricketer
cheers lads.

the only time my own settings seem to work is in the last ten overs of a one dayer when i go very defensively.

I had about four or five games in the one day series were i only conceeded one or two (sometimes none) boundaries in the final 10-12 overs of a match.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I used to use my own feild settings when I played online and they made a huge diffrence.

I cant be stuffed doing it for normal games though.

And it does take ALOT of time to creat good feilds but they do help.

especialy in the middle overs of ODI's were you really want to restrict the boundrys.

SteveG

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I usually start out using the standard fields and if the batsman starts hitting too many runs I look at where he's scoring and change the field appropriatly. This doesn't always work as some batsman are going to score runs regardless of what type of field you set. But, generally I find that changing the field to cut of a batsman's main scoring shots usually leads to frustration and a wicket.

Also check out what sort of form the batsman has been in. If he has had some consistantly high scores then set a more defensive field. If he has been getting low scores, put some pressure on him.