• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket's Popularity

Mokhles82

Cricket Spectator
Hello,

I wonder to ask that why cricket isn't widespread as the other games in the eastern countries? what is the reason?

thanks

hallmitchell

School Boy/Girl Captain
Answer

Hello,

I wonder to ask that why cricket isn't widespread as the other games in the eastern countries? what is the reason?

thanks
Hi, by Eastern Countries are we talking about Japan, China etc?

Cricket is a British Empire Sport and during the Empires Glory days of say 1788 to 1850. That's when cricket was mostly taken up by the countries who know play it.

The British Empire never really got a foot hold in Mainland China or Japan. So therefore cricket is only played by ex pats, if at all.

jasonnorin

Cricket Spectator
Hi, by Eastern Countries are we talking about Japan, China etc?

Cricket is a British Empire Sport and during the Empires Glory days of say 1788 to 1850. That's when cricket was mostly taken up by the countries who know play it.

The British Empire never really got a foot hold in Mainland China or Japan. So therefore cricket is only played by ex pats, if at all.
My thoughts as well..

zarawatsonn

Banned
In Eastern Countries Football and Athletes is quite popular, but in my opinion after some years cricket is quite popular as compare to other sports.

usa cricket fan

Cricket Spectator
Well it is the 2nd most popular sport in the world so it is extremely popular. Japan/US are baseball countries and most south american/central american countries love only football. Not sure about eastern europe though seems like it would be popular.