• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

cricket 2004 1st look

SQRL

Cricket Spectator
Hey got the game about 4 days ago and i can say that i am enjoying it.

the graphics are much better then '02, the gameplay is pretty much the same. one day cricket is pretty hard with all the field placings and all that ... but all together pretty good

one thing i dont like in the game is the comintator, they are very limited and sound a little dodgy with the numbers. I've noticed little glitches with the game.

for example when computer sets a field to aggressive sometimes you get an odd player walck across the field while a delivery.

one other thing ... the ball almost never goes into the slips ... well at least 2nd slip and onwards, alse i've never see c&b situation .. the bowler always seems to run down the pitch.

i give it 6/10 just because i vaigly like the gameplay and because there is no other game like it

for an EA SPORTS game i still think it's pretty bad considering that they had 2 years to make it

please share your opinion

BTW that was for a PC version

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Hmm, well its been better recieved in general I think than C2002 ever was, lookes like a very good game
I guess there will always be a few glitches but I hope the gameplay and potential longetivity of it shine through!!! Grr i wish mine was on the doorstep right now :!(

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
ok let me add my reply and thoughts to this...

the graphics are much better then '02, the gameplay is pretty much the same. one day cricket is pretty hard with all the field placings and all that ... but all together pretty good
I think its the other way around here... The graphics are a tad better then '02 but the gameplay is WAY better... There are far more options and the longevity of the game is pretty damn good.

one thing i dont like in the game is the comintator, they are very limited and sound a little dodgy with the numbers. I've noticed little glitches with the game.
Yeah the commentators can get a little reptitive but IMO that is minor compared to the gameplay, 1 thing which really impresses me is in the editor you can select the sound that you want your name to be represented as, even though my surname is GOFF i can use Darren Gough's sound file and its very exciting running out for the Blues and the commentator calling your name...

for example when computer sets a field to aggressive sometimes you get an odd player walk across the field while a delivery.
As yet i have not encountered this, so far the fielding has been pretty good, there are misfields, players rather than sliding on the boundary to stop a ball trap it with their foot and then come back and get it, the throwing system is also very good as not all the throws go straight over the stumps and direct hits don't happen every second runout...

one other thing ... the ball almost never goes into the slips ... well at least 2nd slip and onwards, alse i've never see c&b situation .. the bowler always seems to run down the pitch.
I have had a few catches taken in the slips and keeper, a couple of diving catches by 2nd slip included, IMO this is very realistic, rising deliveries getting edged to the keeper some going through, as for caught and bowled yet to see one...

i give it 6/10 just because i vaigly like the gameplay and because there is no other game like it
I would give it a 7.8-8/10 very good game and would recommend it to anyone....

[qoute]for an EA SPORTS game i still think it's pretty bad considering that they had 2 years to make it [/quote]
I'm EA's biggest critic but i reckon they have done a pretty good job...

By the way mine was on PS2

iamdavid

International Debutant
I'd have to agree with Blewy 100%.

The sheer depth of provided by the player editor , the huge number of teams & stadiums plus domestic tournaments means huge replay value.

The commentary is ordinary , no doubting that , but the sound feature with created players is great.

The gameplay is 100% improved IMO , you can no longer just come in & swing at you're first ball , you must work the quick singles early , then as the confidence rises the bigger shots come into it.
The game is much , much more difficult & realistic than 2002.
Particularly on hard mode , I played as NSW v Surrey , they made 261 against me in their 50 overs (note realistic run rates) & I struggled to 144 all out in reply.
The game is awsome , the player editor in particular.
You even include the favourite shots of that player & their weakness (yorker , spin , short pitched , etc).
They have a front foot , back foot , off side , on side , spin , pace & swing rating for their batting.

I also have the PS2 version.

abe

Cricket Spectator
Can you still keep on bowling yorkers really easily? Are they still as overly effective as in Cricket 2002?

Can you still sweep yorkers?

That really wrecked cricket 2002 for me, bowling out England on hard for under fifty runs by constantly bowling yorkers. I then proceeded to score easy runs by sweeping Darren Gough et al to the boundary :) Hilarious to watch (I bowled out Aus the same way, in a Test no less), but I don't think the developers intended it to be that way.

funky miller

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I've seen plenty of caught and bowled's on mine.
I often try to block a spinner and it balloons up and they take a diving catch.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Can you still keep on bowling yorkers really easily? Are they still as overly effective as in Cricket 2002?
Yeah you can still bowl Yorkers but not as easily and they are not as effective...

Can you still sweep yorkers?
You can try but its not very effective, all batsman have different weaknesses some play the yorker well others have no hope when it comes to defending them, thats what makes the game so good..

Anyone else notice that Shane Warne is not included in any of the sides?
Yeah because the game is liscenced by Cricket Australia and Warne is effectivley not part of Cricket Australia till his ban is over he was not allowed to be in the game, although you can create him...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Warne is god said:
WHAT NO WARNE?? AHH CRAP
Dont worry! Just edit him in!

I heard about the special categories for players (EG giles-- workhorse) These sound brilliant... Do they have a psycopath category for André Nel?

SQRL

Cricket Spectator
mavric41 said:
Anyone else notice that Shane Warne is not included in any of the sides?
Yeh hahaha funny about that :)

A WAY TO REVIVE WARNE!!!!!

step one.

Go to team managment and create yourself a moderately fat blonde haired player, with super leg spin abilities and no indurance.

step two.

chose "warne" from the list of sound name tags and you are set.

step three.

add your mammas boy to club or country squad and you are laughing.

i think they put his name there for a reason hahaha dont you think?

Last edited:

Warne is god

U19 12th Man
YESS I CAN PLAY IT, how good is it, I'm in the middle of a Pura Cup match Vic (me) v QLD, i had them 5/40 but Mike Kasprovwich is so annoying, 12 off 92 balls COME ON, GET OUT ALREADY

KIRKERS

Cricket Spectator
Bowling target a big issue 4 me

Picked up on cricket and 2K2 in South Africa earlier this year (World Cup and all that). Don't have 2k4 yet; I'm PC only and will have to wait, maybe until February now that I'm in USA.

Perhaps this will give HB and EA time to rethink one decision that really concerns me. In the Cricket Web review D. Hoitink reports, "the bowling marker is now much twitchier & harder to control (all relative to the bowlers skill of course)".

I urged HB/EA to go the other direction. Make the bowling cursor easier to place, but then let the statistical model determine how accurate the results will be and make realistic shifts.

This is much preferred to physically wrestling with the cursor for hours on end, exhausting yourself and developing carpal tunnel besides! Also, the errors with the cursor can be comically amateurish, with wild throws never seen in the county/state/provincial game, much less at the international level. Bowling errors are more subtle than what the bowling cursor approach adopted by HB/EA allows for.

Now it appears they went even further down the "twitchy cursor" path. What a shame!

I hope the player-coders who worked so hard to improve 2k2 once it was in the public domain will be able to focus their attention this time around on creating an alternative approach to bowling, so players can increase the difficulty level to Hard without going crazy when bowling. Now that 2k4 has apparently fixed so many other things (except commentay and player faces it seems), perhaps my hopes regarding the all-important bowling cursor will be fulfilled.

simonc

Cricket Spectator
Played the game (PC) for a couple of weeks now and it's just about a good game. I think once a patch is released it will be a good game.

Here are some of the bugs that I've noticed.

for example when computer sets a field to aggressive sometimes you get an odd player walck across the field while a delivery.
I've noticed this too, but I get it after someone gets out caught, and the other team all huddles in around the pitch. One of the players decides to field in the middle of the pitch for the rest of the over.

Changing the field, using the custom settings, the individual players don't stay where you put them. E.g. I put a good slip fielder in the slips and when I go to bowl he's fielding at mid off and some boundary fielder is now in the slips.

I played a one-day game on a damp-pitch and the other team ran themselves out. 8 players run-out! Their game plan was hit the ball straight to mid on or mid off, wait until he picks it up and then run. Every single one, needless to say they didn't score many!

When loading a match that has been in progress the original playing 11 have changed. I went and looked at the spider graph and I was only two down but 5 or 6 players had scoring shots.

The stats that pop up at the bottom of the screen are sometimes wrong. I hit a six with one of my players who just came in. He had a total of six runs, but according to the stats he had hit two sixes.

The commentary is often wrong, saying the incorrect number of runs that came off an over. I especially like the commentator saying "the ran rate required is climbing all the time." Only problem is it's the first innings.

The fielders use the wrong arm to throw with. I've never seen any right handed fielders throw the ball left handed from the boundary and get it anywhere near the keeper!

Otherwise I think it's a pretty good game. I especially like how you can add your own players. Some of the small things like misfields add to the realism. And theirs nothing like moving a slip out and then having an edge go through right where he was.

I had one situation where there was a clear run out opportunity and the fielder tried to throw the stumps down instead of throwing it to the bowler and missed so the opportunity was lost.

Rivergod

Cricket Spectator
Played the game for the first time today. Initial thoughts - much better than 2002.

Have to say though, I'm pretty sick of the commentary. Maybe new commentators or completely different lines would have been refreshing. If I hear Ritchie squeal "It's high in the air" once more, I'll ... well, do nothing, but it is rather annoying.

Attachments