• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NP Cricket Simulator: Updated Version (16-04-2020)

Glenn Stiemens

School Boy/Girl Captain
Its looking good from those early outputs - not really a bug just more a plea for the sake of my eyes ( :D), could we change the colours?

I'm guessing that the match engine actually calculates the trajectory of the ball etc or is it a more generalised approach of for example, "Down legside, 30% chance of being missed, 40% chance of keeper failing to stop it etc". Or are you actually working out how far say a ball has moved from a player and working out whether they can reach it from that?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The match engine calculates the exact location where the ball passes the stumps, and works out from that how likely the keeper is to get hold of it - the closer to him it is, the easier it is for him to catch/parry/deflect it.

Works something along the basis of a "difficulty of take" statistic being generated depending on the delivery and then the 'keeper attempting his take (another statistic generated dependent on keeper ability), and the two being compared to see how well the keeper pulls it off. An approach heavily influenced by playing lots of Star Wars: KOTOR!

I like the colours :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Glenn Stiemens said:
Its looking good from those early outputs - not really a bug just more a plea for the sake of my eyes ( :D), could we change the colours?
Without downloading, I guess it's a Ginger background?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
An approach heavily influenced by playing lots of Star Wars: KOTOR!

an excellent game :) it does have an excellent system for those sorts of things

amazing depth going into this game. very very impressive :)

Tom Halsey

International Coach
No Marc, it's actually blue. :p

And Neil, fantastic, really good. One thing: why are there so many wides? Even with batsmen leaving it rather than smacking it, there surely shouldn't be that many?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Halsey: Which settings do you have it on regarding bounce/erraticism/etc... also, where are you aiming?!

To those who have had I/O errors/invalid filenames when trying to play, it's because the game's trying to read the team data files that aren't there...

EDIT: To those who still had those errors, it's because I'm an idiot. There was a line inside the next ball button which tried to write a log file of shot types. I was using it last night for debug purposes). It was trying to write to d:/documents and settings/user/desktop/log.txt. That folder doesnt exist for you.

All reference to that file now removed! All four lines...

Use this one!

Attachments

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Halsey: Which settings do you have it on regarding bounce/erraticism/etc... also, where are you aiming?!
Sorry. Should have explained. On the scorecard of the England v Australia game you attached. Some bowlers were at almost 3 wides an over!

EDIT: I should add that my tests of the game found no excess amount of wides!

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Tom Halsey said:
Sorry. Should have explained. On the scorecard of the England v Australia game you attached. Some bowlers were at almost 3 wides an over!

EDIT: I should add that my tests of the game found no excess amount of wides!
If you read the previous pages, there were plenty of explanations for the excessive levels of wides.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Code:
End of over 24 (6471 runs) - Australia 6586/0 - Australia RR: 274.41
AG Wharf 1.0-0-6471-0 (3200w, 0nb)
ML Hayden 0* (64b, 0x4, 0x6), AC Gilchrist 0* (80b, 0x4, 0x6)
So much for bowling idiotically outside off, then...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Samuel_Vimes said:
Code:
End of over 24 (6471 runs) - Australia 6586/0 - Australia RR: 274.41
AG Wharf 1.0-0-6471-0 (3200w, 0nb)
ML Hayden 0* (64b, 0x4, 0x6), AC Gilchrist 0* (80b, 0x4, 0x6)
So much for bowling idiotically outside off, then...
LOL!