• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NP Cricket Simulator: Updated Version (16-04-2020)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Heh. This is interesting

Code:
15.4 AG Wharf to DR Martyn, OUT!, on the stumps, slightly full, goes for the powerful attacking shot, gets a good clean strike, but Harmison takes a smart catch in the outfield

Norway 47/3, Partnership of 19
DR Martyn ct SJ Harmison b AG Wharf 0 (21b, 0x4, 0x6)
RT Ponting 15* (23b, 1x4, 1x6), AG Wharf 2.4-2-0-1 (0w, 0nb)
For the most part, Wharf and Gough bowled at him, yet he ends up with 0 off 21 balls?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Think he was trying to rebuild and consolidate after the early wickets lost. Suppose it could be better...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Also, in the 2nd innings, maidens aren't treated properly - they're just said to concede 0 runs, i.e.

Code:
End of over 4 (0 runs) - England 3/0 - England RR: 0.75 (RR Req: 4.5)

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Looks like the most comprehensive OD cricket sim in existence, in all honesty. Are you hoping for this to be used as the CWXI OD sim (when it's complete)?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I've fixed what I can fix - or have tried to, anyway. Have recoded aggression/shot selection settings, tried to make batting with the tail a little smarter, reduced no-balls and a few other things that came up.

Can't recreate that runout issue, Hakon - any chance of sending a BBB?

Just an updated EXE attached.

Attachments

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Old version here, created the CW Blue side, played it against an Ashes XI - Si and Andy Cloete got us to 180/1 then the last 6 batsmen got ducks and we were gone for 181!

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Point for improvement - left arm bowlers' default line is at leg stump, and a right armers' default line at left handers is also at leg stump. Could this be switched to offstump like usual please in upcoming versions?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Neil Pickup said:
I've fixed what I can fix - or have tried to, anyway. Have recoded aggression/shot selection settings, tried to make batting with the tail a little smarter, reduced no-balls and a few other things that came up.

Can't recreate that runout issue, Hakon - any chance of sending a BBB?

Just an updated EXE attached.
I'll see what I can do. IIRC I was on my laptop when I got it, and I'm getting that to work tomorrow.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Samuel_Vimes said:
I'll see what I can do. IIRC I was on my laptop when I got it, and I'm getting that to work tomorrow.
Or you could go back a couple of pages and get the full zip too...

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Right I'm doing the Editor generators, but in more detail. I've figured out that the effect of the length attribute needs to be doubled, Neil's done it so expect it in the next version!

Right I've done line and length parameters:

Code:
Accuracy	Line	Length
Very accurate	85-95	85-95
Moderately accurate	75-85	75-85
Wild bowler	65-75	65-75
Part time at best	55-65	55-65
These bowlers shouldn’t be bowling!	45-55	45-55
Complete ****	35-45	35-45
EDIT: Hmm, why isn't code working? Oh well, you get the point.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Mainly so Neil doesn't forget:

Halz | For yourself, save your energy, make sure to, crush your enemies | H3LL5 57R1K3 says:
yes but still, 9 wickets being stumpings is clearly screwed
Neil | At least I can field... says:
thats because the 1000 over ness ****s with the batsmens heads
Halz | For yourself, save your energy, make sure to, crush your enemies | H3LL5 57R1K3 says:
well it doesnt, because theyre still getting out stumped leaving it. sort that out, and it should be fine
does the field settings have any effect?
it should
ok
well then why are there slip catches when ive got it on the most defensive field possible where there are no slips?
because those images are for indicative purposes only
oh right
problem which is beginning to bug me:
spinners bowl better when they bowl fuller but on this, because they dont bounce it is much (which is realistic) they bowl better when they bowl short
is that consistently like that?
yes. when spinners bowl on a normal length, it says too full, because its not bouncing as high if theyre slower (i noticed it on the ball generator, and its good, because its realistic) - but that shouldnt mean they have to bowl short to be effective - at a spinners pace, its almost a longhop
ahhh
what difference does it make numbers wise
first over went for 21, when i decided to try out bowling shorter, rest of spell went for about 20 (9 overs)
see if thats played out consistenetly
ok i will do
yes, seems to
bowled halsey and popat (similar pace) halsey on normal length, popat back, halsey went for 6 an over, popat went for 3
just one game?
do 3/4 more and see if its beyond coincedence
ok
2nd match, halsey (norm. length) 8 an over, popat (short) 6 an over
is this short as in half trackers?
are they going for boundaries on a good length or waht
or just more runs... and is it making a wicket difference
not too much fuller than that. i looked at the ball gen and bowled exactly the same short length.. anbd it wasnt much more than half tracker and it was getting up around stump height, normal bounce.
so should find its way to the midwicket fence
i need to to factor in speed to the way it works out length
well the commentary says 'good length' (presumably coz its at the top of off stump)
yeh it would be for a quickie
well hes bowling spin tho
hence why i've not coded that in. knew i'd missed summat when I added spinners to it
lol
just code in that a good length for spinners is the ball bouncing about half way to three quarters of the way up
yeah, just need to rewrite the six lines that dictate a) what it says in the comms is good and b) what the batsman interprests
yep
post that & the stumping thing in the thread so i dont forget
ok

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Again, said it in another conversation, change the last 10 over settings, teams get skittled in the last 10 too often...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Have heavily updated the game code this afternoon - batting pacing now seems much more realistic and tailenders are now much more sensible with the way they bat. Throwing wickets away stupidly is now a thing of the past.

I've also created a stats tracker that, well, tracks stats. As it stands, I'm very happy with the way that things are working at present and feel that the only things that need adding to complete the simulation section are bowler fatigue, notifications of batting milestones or bowlers' five-fors and then a measure of AI so you can play against the computer or the computer plays against itself including tactics and reasonable bowling changes.

That's a few hours' worth of work. The next stage will be the databases - which is where I will need extra help. The player editor is prepared for players and teams to be created, and I'd very much like a structured effort there to build a database, but another often-ignored bit is the grounds. At present, I only have size/bounce/turn/movement. They are base values given a random either way, but more critically I need some idea for climate data: temperatures, cloud conditions - things that affect wear and swing. I intend to have an updated editor mentioning these factors soon.

Once that's done, we need to decide where the game - or career mode thereof - goes. I quite fancy a "Club Cricket Manager" type creation, but I'd like others' opinions. And plenty of volunteers.

Attachments

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Looking good Neil, i played a couple of games - got an error at the end of the England innings in one (screenshot attached)

Willing to help with database if you need help

Attachments

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
superkingdave said:
Looking good Neil, i played a couple of games - got an error at the end of the England innings in one (screenshot attached)

Willing to help with database if you need help
Weird error :S

Almost seems like they did the playing-on-after-ten-wickets-fell bug again. Looks like I haven't cracked that one entirely yet. Anyone else still geting them?

imagine

School Boy/Girl Captain
i also played with it a while. Willing to help with database. In the editor it would be a good idea to remove players from the list who have been added to a team, because you have to check the team squad every time.

Last edited:

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil, looks great, can't wait for the AI though, it's a bit unusual playing against yourself (however perfect for Dev League simming).

One of my games:

Code:
[size=2]England v Australia
Scorecard - Australia

Runs	Mins	Balls	4s	6s	S/R
Adam Gilchrist		ct A Flintoff b SJ Harmison		67	89	59	10	0	113.55
Matthew Hayden		ct AG Wharf b A Flintoff		17	42	31	1	0	54.83
Ricky Ponting		ct ME Trescothick b SJ Harmison		3	8	8	0	0	37.5
Damien Martyn		ct VS Solanki b SJ Harmison		2	17	8	0	0	25
Darren Lehmann		ct PD Collingwood b AF Giles		42	89	58	7	0	72.41
Andrew Symonds		not out					105	121	96	15	3	109.37
Michael Clarke		b D Gough				0	5	5	0	0	0
Brett Lee		ct D Gough b AG Wharf			14	17	15	1	0	93.33
Jason Gillespie		ct A Flintoff b MP Vaughan		12	13	12	2	0	100
Michael Kasprowicz	not out					14	17	9	3	0	155.55
Extras			(6w, 1nb, 0b, 0lb)			7
Total			(8 wickets, 50.0 overs)			283

DNB:	Glenn McGrath.

FoW:	1-46 (ML Hayden, 9.1 ov), 2-53 (RT Ponting, 10.6 ov), 
	3-73 (DR Martyn, 14.4 ov), 4-103 (AC Gilchrist, 18.6 ov), 
	5-179 (DS Lehmann, 37.2 ov), 6-186 (MJ Clarke, 38.4 ov), 
	7-214 (B Lee, 42.4 ov), 8-238 (JN Gillespie, 45.5 ov).

Bowling Analysis - England

Ovs	Mdns	Runs	Wkts	wd	nb	E/R
Stephen Harmison	10.0	0	71	3	2	1	7.1
Andrew Flintoff		10.0	2	32	1	0	0	3.2
Darren Gough		10.0	1	55	1	1	0	5.5
Ashley Giles		10.0	3	41	1	0	0	4.1
Alex Wharf		5.0	0	36	1	1	0	7.2
Michael Vaughan		5.0	0	48	1	1	0	9.6

Scorecard - England

Runs	Mins	Balls	4s	6s	S/R
Marcus Trescothick	ct MS Kasprowicz b JN Gillespie		34	57	36	6	0	94.44
Vikram Solanki		ct DR Martyn b B Lee			4	21	11	0	0	36.36
Michael Vaughan		ct ML Hayden b MJ Clarke		44	100	71	7	1	61.97
Andrew Strauss		ct MJ Clarke b MS Kasprowicz		0	15	10	0	0	0
Andrew Flintoff		ct DR Martyn b MS Kasprowicz		14	11	10	1	1	140
Paul Collingwood	ct DR Martyn b A Symonds		17	24	19	2	1	89.47
Geraint Jones		ct AC Gilchrist b GD McGrath		24	78	61	3	1	39.34
Ashley Giles		ct A Symonds b MJ Clarke		0	11	9	0	0	0
Alex Wharf		b JN Gillespie				0	9	7	0	0	0
Darren Gough		run out (RT Ponting)			9	23	17	2	0	52.94
Stephen Harmison	not out					0	20	12	0	0	0
Extras			(20w, 5nb, 2b, 5lb)			32
Total			(10 wickets, 43.2 overs)		178

FoW:	1-26 (VS Solanki, 4.3 ov), 2-64 (ME Trescothick, 11.3 ov), 
	3-76 (AJ Strauss, 15.2 ov), 4-90 (A Flintoff, 17.6 ov), 
	5-116 (PD Collingwood, 24.1 ov), 6-140 (MP Vaughan, 27.4 ov), 
	7-146 (AF Giles, 31.1 ov), 8-150 (AG Wharf, 33.2 ov), 
	9-166 (D Gough, 38.4 ov), 10-178 (GO Jones, 43.2 ov).

Bowling Analysis - Australia

Ovs	Mdns	Runs	Wkts	wd	nb	E/R
Brett Lee		7.0	1	22	1	2	1	3.14
Jason Gillespie		10.0	1	50	2	6	4	5
Glenn McGrath		7.2	3	23	1	0	0	3.13
Michael Kasprowicz	9.0	2	35	2	3	0	3.88
Michael Clarke		5.0	2	22	2	2	0	4.4
Andrew Symonds		5.0	0	19	1	7	0	3.8
[/size]