• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A sort of McGrath/Anderson syndrome....

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In a recent series against Sri Lanka, I called up Martin Saggers as a replacement for an out-of-form Andy Caddick and an injured Cork. Saggers had taken 93 FC wickets the year before and had alot of FC experience.

On debut, he proved me a genius, beating the bat ever over and taking 6/63 and 2/54. In the 2nd (and final) Test, he took 3/78 and 5/44. He looked to be headed for a big career.

He took this form into the Natwest series and took 4/21 in 10 overs on debut against SL. He took just 3 wickets for 237 runs in 58 overs for the rest of the series.

Despite he lack of penetration in the ODI's, I picked him for the 1st Test v India. After all, he had started his career so well, I couldn't just drop him... even if Andy Caddick had found form again and Dominic Cork was fit...

His match figures from the first Test - 1/110 off 49 overs. 2nd Test - 5/105 (wrapped up the tail after being 1/98) and 0/17 in a losing effort. Certainly I couldn't drop him after a 5-wicket haul...

3rd Test - 2/79 and 0/75 and finally I had the guts to send him back to Kent to get some wickets.

Has anyone else had a player like this? Someone who started very well and promised alot but faded fast.

nibbs

International Captain
In my NZ game I had this C.Chambers chap who took 6/24 in his ODI debut. But after that was a regular but he was never same as his amazing debut.

gibbsnsmith

State Vice-Captain
i called up harmison who ripped through the aussies and some other teams in his first international season taking 70 wkts in 15 odd tests and hasnt taken a wicket since now he has played 23...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Add to the list Michael Mason and James Franklin.

Also, Sean Ervine. I debuted him as a batsman who I bowled sparingly, but one game I gave him a full spell and he took an incredible 8/43 from his 10. The next 3 games, he took 10 more wickets rather economically. Needless to say, I was thrilled that Zimbabwe might have a quality player for the future, but he then proceeded to settle into typical form going for 8-10 runs in his 3 and 4 over stints. On Test debut, he knocked some decent runs (30-40), but went for over 4.5 an over, without even looking threatening.