• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC 2009 - Bangladesh

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Basically I'm going to lead Bangladesh to the top of world cricket.
Will whistle through the ICC World T20. Maybe include anything unusual that might happen (winning a game :ph34r:) before getting onto the Test series against India at the end of the year :)

Follow my progress in here.

Jarquis

I took a bit of a gamble with the selection of my side for the opening T20 against India.
In a format that has seen the number of allrounders rise and rise, I went in with one. The talismanic Shakib Al-Hasan; one of 5 genuine bowling options for my side.
India won the toss and put me into bat on a relatively flat surface, consistent bounce and carry for the quicks and the slightest hint of turn for the spinners but nothing to right home about.

I managed to make 149/7, a score I was quite pleased with. Shakib the stand out player; while Naeem Islam also played his part in a 96 run partnership (Naeem hogged the strike tbh). In the pursuit of late runs the last 4 wickets fell for just 12 runs. With Irfan Pathan taking 3 wickets for just 6 runs in the final over of the innings.

The Indian innings got off to an absolute flier and at one point the required run rate was only 6 an over but Shakib and Razzaq applied the choke in the middle overs and Shakib especially bowled exceptionally. The left arm quicks conceeded to haemorrhage runs at an alarming rate, so I opted to throw the ball to Naeem Islam in the 18th over of the innings, rather than the particularly woeful Al Zabir. With India needing 24 from 18 at this point Islam did perfectly well, conceeding just 8 from the over leaving India chasing 16 from 12. They only managed 7 from the 19th over and then only 6 from the final over handing Bangladesh a 2 run win!!

That's just how even the game was.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
Good luck! I remember completing the feat with Bangladesh in 2006. Had the spinning Sunny brothers take the new ball and watched them rip teams apart.

Jarquis

Good luck! I remember completing the feat with Bangladesh in 2006. Had the spinning Sunny brothers take the new ball and watched them rip teams apart.
Haha, cheers :)
Quite happy with a win in my first game, even if it is a T20 game.
5/15 of my squad haven't played T20 before in their careers so it was a bit of a punt.

Jarquis

Just chased down 162 against Ireland. Won it with a single off the final ball, needed 31 to win from 18, happy days.
Brought in Nazimuddin for this match and he hits 43*(23) :D

Jarquis

Just chased down 162 against Ireland. Won it with a single off the final ball, needed 31 to win from 18, happy days.
Brought in Nazimuddin for this match and he hits 43*(23) :D
Will just briefly catch up on my last 2 matches.

Was a good pitch so I was satisfied with managing to keep Ireland's total below 170, though after winning the toss I originally hoped to restrict them to much less. Shakib again showing his class.

As already mentioned Nazimuddin played a great knock to win the match.
So into the Super 8s I go!!

My group = Bangladesh, Netherlands, New Zealand and Sri Lanka

First up : Sri Lanka

After having my top order blown away, bar a resolute innings from Tamim Iqbal, I somehow limped to 114ao. Only managing to play out 19 of my full 20 overs.

I didn't hold much hope for my bowlers but somehow we made a game of it. Sri Lanka eventually won with 10 balls remaining but with 3 overs to go the required rate was greater than a run a ball but Islam went the distance in his 3rd over leaving Sri Lanka the simplest of tasks to knock off the winning runs in the next over.

Next up the Netherlands.

Jarquis

Will get back on to this soon, had exams recently with Christmas and NYE in between now and the last update.

Jarquis

Despite having no chance of qualification the final T20 against NZ was important in that I wanted to prove Bangladesh were more than able of competing with the big boys of International cricket. I won the toss and opted to bowl first on a wearing wicket, the bowling attack contained 3 spinners and I decided I was much more confident in my batting line up chasing rather than attempting to set a target.

My decision was quickly rewarded but not by the spinners. Syed Rasel produced one of the finest opening spells of the competition and picked up two quick wickets and could've easily had a few more. He gave practically nothing away and as a result his opening partner Kabir benefited with a wicket as NZ attempted to score from the other end.
Before they'd had time to figure out what had hit them NZ were 29/3.

The introduction of the spinners didn't quite go to plan, Shakib was suberp as he has been all tournament really but Hossain and Razzaq couldn't conceed runs quick enough. For every moment of brilliance from Shakib, there were two rank half trackers from the other two tweakers. Ross Taylor played a steady innings whilst Shakib picked away at the rest of the NZ line up.
At the end of the innings Bangladesh but can't help but feel that they've let NZ off the hook after having them reeling at 49/5.

The Bangladesh innings started rapidly with Tamim continuing his fine form and slaughtering Oram to all parts of the ground in his opening overs, though things began to turn around quickly when O'Brien produced a fine spell to rout the Bangladesh top order. After no less than 4 quick wickets Islam joined Tamim at the crease and the pair proceeded to add 89 for the 5th wicket, Islam then departed shortly after Tamim bringing up his 50. Vetorri ousted Hasan soon after and it was left to Iqbal to see Bangladesh over the line, which he accomplished with a brilliant 72*

Up next a Test series against India, should be fun :p

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Good win over New Zealand - shame about the defeat to Holland though. Best of luck for the test series against India, I can't imagine that'll be easy.

Jarquis

Avoiding defeat in one of the Tests is the main target. Anything else would be a bonus really.
Thanks for the good luck and your earlier post in here :)

Litonice10

Cricket Spectator
Mahmudullah outstanding

In this test series between India vs Bangladesh. As a supporter i'm very glad to the performance of Mahmudullah Riad's. He missed the sentury for 4 runs. But he got unbeaten 96 runs. In the mactch summery Bangladesh were at a position 51/5 but Mahmudullah recover it very well. Bravo Mahmudullah.
We are looking for you the next innings will get 100.

Jarquis

First Test against India, perhaps regrettably only went in with one spinner and handed out a few debuts. Lost the tost and India chose to bat.

Al Zabir struck early to remove Sehwag and then after Gambhir and Tendulkar added 70, Shakib struck. Another wicket soon after and India were 101/3. Dravid and Jaffer slowed the tempo and slowly accumulated runs and added 118 for the fourth wicket. After Mahmudullah removed Jaffer, Badrinath followed soon after. It was somewhat disappointing to then watch another partnership form between Dravid and Patel, for 80 runs. Patel eventually fell to Shakib and the final 5 wickets cost a toal of 52 runs. Dravid wa sleft stranded after his mammoth innings.

After managing to bowl India out for 359, Bangladesh had good hopes over getting close to the Indian score. These hopes were quickly eradicated when the Bangladesh top order crumbled to 19/5 after 17 overs. Talukder and Mahmudullah added 30 for the 6th wicket in the first show of resistance, though 18 of those runs came from one over, 12 off the edge. It was after Talukder fell to Harbhajan that Bangladesh kicked into gear, Mahmudullah, on debut, and wicket keeper Mushfiqur Rahim combined to add 137. Once their resistance crumbled and Rahim was out of Harbajhan's bowling the innings did not last much longer. Mahmudullah was selflessly ran out trying to add as many as possible to the toal and Bangladesh were eventually 195 all out.

After their dreadful start Bangladesh still had some hopes in the match after scrapping their way to only ~160 behind. However it was the start of a new innings that proved to be Bangladesh's downfall, Gambhir and Sehwag masterfully took the game away from the Bangladeshi's with a double century opening stand. 4 wickets from Shakib wasn't enough to prevent the Indian domination and they eventually declared whilst on 359/5.

So Bangladesh were left facing the absolute massive task of chasing over 500 runs in the fourth innings or batting out a little under 5 sessions to save the match after Dravid's first innings had taken a lot of time in the first innings as had Mahmudullah and Rahim's rearguard in the second. The Bangladesh top order showed the resolve that had deserted them in their first innings, particularly the openers who put on a stand lasting over 45 overs(!) at this point it was clear Bangladesh had no ambition to win the game but it seemed as though they were very determined to try and bat out for the draw. Both openers fell in quick succession and then Talukder followed them back into the hut only a few overs later. Bangladesh were 83/3 and rocking. A decent parnership of several overs between Islam and Saleh revived hopes of a Bangladesh draw but wickets in consecutive overs put them back onto the back foot. First innings hero Mahmudullah and captain Shakib combined for a 44 run 6th wicket partnership However it was the 22 overs they batted out that were more important to the side.

Jarquis

As you can see I didn't quite manage it. Mahmudullah was out and despite Shakib's best efforts to hoard the strike, Bangladesh were all out on the stroke of Tea on Day5.

Number 11

State 12th Man
As you can see I didn't quite manage it. Mahmudullah was out and despite Shakib's best efforts to hoard the strike, Bangladesh were all out on the stroke of Tea on Day5.
Better than i can do. Thrashed by an innings and a couple of hundred.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Almost a very fine effort to save the test - and being 5/19 in your first innings hardly helped!