• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

International Cricket Captain General Thread of Miscellany

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I gave Steve O'Keefe a bowl on his test debut on a fourth day pitch hoping that he'd break a partnership. He took 9/34, which are the best figures I have ever seen on ICC personally. Steve Smith pulled 8/38 in a One Day International the other day, too. This artifical intelligence never ceases to surprise me :laugh:
Seems to be a thing with spinners - Todd Astle took 5/5 against Australia in an ODI, and the West Indies have been relying upon the spin duo of Nikita Miller and Imran Khan. Hardly the best spinners ever, but are the #1 and #2 ranked ODI bowlers in my game respectively.

Played SL, they played 2 pace bowlers alongside 2 spinners and a spinning AR. I think there were 3 or 4 wickets to fall to pace in the series, generally with batsmen on high aggression against the 2nd new ball to take advantage of it not being spin.

9/34 for SoK is incredible though. What year are you in ATM?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I got the game for my iPad and South Africa play are playing 2 spinners against me (England) and are bowling them to victories.

Jager

International Debutant
Seems to be a thing with spinners - Todd Astle took 5/5 against Australia in an ODI, and the West Indies have been relying upon the spin duo of Nikita Miller and Imran Khan. Hardly the best spinners ever, but are the #1 and #2 ranked ODI bowlers in my game respectively.

Played SL, they played 2 pace bowlers alongside 2 spinners and a spinning AR. I think there were 3 or 4 wickets to fall to pace in the series, generally with batsmen on high aggression against the 2nd new ball to take advantage of it not being spin.

9/34 for SoK is incredible though. What year are you in ATM?
This was the first series played against the West Indies since the beginning of the game (which is April the 1st, I think). Makes it even more ridiculous :\

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Playing through my 5 game ODI series against India, locked at 1-1 with one match remaining. They won the first by 7 wickets (despite Guptill and Raval putting on 173), then we followed it up with a 70-odd run win, as Raval tonned up.

Games three and four were both tied - can't say I've seen it before on ICC. The 3rd game was 8/268 plays 7/268, and the 4th was 8/254 plays 254. In the last one, Sam Wells made 122, and Todd Astle took 2 wickets in the 49th over with 1 run needed from 12, to bowl India out and secure the tie, but both were beaten for MOTM by Ajinka Rahane, who made 115.

Utterly crazy series thus far. Also had an Indian regen pop up with the last name 'Lahore'.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Playing through my 5 game ODI series against India, locked at 1-1 with one match remaining. They won the first by 7 wickets (despite Guptill and Raval putting on 173), then we followed it up with a 70-odd run win, as Raval tonned up.

Games three and four were both tied - can't say I've seen it before on ICC. The 3rd game was 8/268 plays 7/268, and the 4th was 8/254 plays 254. In the last one, Sam Wells made 122, and Todd Astle took 2 wickets in the 49th over with 1 run needed from 12, to bowl India out and secure the tie, but both were beaten for MOTM by Ajinka Rahane, who made 115.

Utterly crazy series thus far. Also had an Indian regen pop up with the last name 'Lahore'.
Haha, thats sensational. Can't say I've ever had consecutive ties on ICC!

cpr

International Coach
Dug out ICC2005, always annoyed me the 20/20 didnt have its own little section on this one, and killed the List A stats

Though they helped Jimmy Anderson here....

Attachments

cpr

International Coach
SO CW experts, ICC 2005, the little icons by every delivery, with the grey/red circles suggesting where the ball pitched, anyone know for sure which each circle actually indicates? is it place pitched/where batsman thought it would (in which case my spinners are beauties at deceiving in the air) or where pitched/where intended (and they are just ****), or something else?

Howe_zat

Audio File
No idea. I've just got up ICC 2005 to try and work out what you're talking about, but as far as I see there's no indicator of pitch. Could you take a screenshot?

cpr

International Coach
When you bowl a ball, on the ball by ball screen on the left theres a little display of the batting crease, with red and grey circles on there... Have a look at my screenshot about 4 posts up.

I'm presuming its to do with where the ball pitched, as watching the replays it does look like it marries up

cpr

International Coach
I'm pretty sure the red is where the ball actually pitched, but what does the grey mean??? Its never been in the manual either, I remember looking years ago..

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Playing through my Warwickshire game now - in June of the second season, right in the middle of T20.

Playing against Worcestershire, on pitch described as having something in it for the bowlers. Was going along reasonably - 3/90 after 12, until Ian Bell decided to explode.

Ended up on 3/220 - Bell on 114 (52), and Darren Maddy on 50 (28). They put on 149 in 10.5 overs. Chris Whelan had the flattering figures of 0/56.

When they batted, Chris Woakes went for 14 off his first over, only for him to come back towards the end and take 3 wickets in an over. Chris Gayle and Imran Tahir bowled economically, and Dawid Malan managed to defend the 83 required from 6 balls at the end. That win takes us to third on the T20 table.

Currently sitting 4th on the Championship table, since my bowlers can't take wickets and we keep ending up with draws. Yorkshire out in front by 12 points, on the same number of games as me. Sussex are one point above me, but have played two more games, and Kent has 4 more from one additional game.

29 batting points from 7 games so far. Leading the CB40 ATM.

Random things to have happened:
James Ord is averaging above 60 from 22 FC games,
Malan so far has 941 @ 94.1, and is striking above 75. Seems too easy for him ATM. Chris Woakes has dropped his List A bowling average below 20.
Sean Ervine, at Hampshire, made 1000 before the end of May.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Just played a CC game vs Hampshire. We were 5/150-ish and looking like failing to get a single batting point, given I'd decided to play 5 bowlers. That is, until Tim Ambrose and Chris Woakes put on 423 for the 6th wicket.

Utterly insane, as both of them made double tons. Ambrose got out, but I declared as soon as Woakes got his 200. Made him open the batting in the T20 that followed - hit 50 at a SR above 220.

Gayle is starting to come into his destructive best as well; but Shahid Afridi is an absolute flop.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Haha, nice. My best recovery was being 150 odd for 7, in a test against Pakistan, and then putting up a partnership of 274 for the 8th wicket, beetween Bell and Swann.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, nice. My best recovery was being 150 odd for 7, in a test against Pakistan, and then putting up a partnership of 274 for the 8th wicket, beetween Bell and Swann.
Haha, not bad at all. Swann being in a partnership that big would be very interesting viewing.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Ended up taking out all 3 trophies in 2011.

Neil Carter, Darren Pattinson and Darren Maddy all retired at the end of the year. Released Naqaash Tahir (didn't think he was worth 46,500) Varun Chopra, Andrew Miller and a couple of others.

Brought in Shakib al-Hasan as my overseas player, with Imran Tahir as the reserve. Chris Gayle returns for the T20, alongside AB de Villiers.

On the domestic front, I brought in quite a few new signings. Joe Root, Gary Ballance, Matt Coles and a half-decent regen spinner came in as youth prospects, along with the experienced Nick Compton, Michael Carberry and Tim Murtagh.

First XI consists of:
Carberry, James Ord, Compton, Dawid Malan, Tim Ambrose, Shakib, Phil Mustard, Chris Woakes, Murtagh, Rob Yau [regen], Boyd Rankin.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Disappointment in Sussex's 2030 season, pipped to the Championship title by a single point. First time we've failed to win since the early 2020s. Halfway through 2031 now, normal service being resumed

Howe_zat

Audio File
Having some ODI trial runs for a comp I'm running over on cricsim, I am officially not impressed by ****s playing for their averages.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha. I wonder if thats ever happened in a real ODI before? I know its happened in at least one T20 International (India vs South Africa just before the IPL).