• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Codemasters announce Ashes Cricket 2009

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Got the game on 360, it isn't very good. Posted my full thoughts on the game on Planetcricket, fanboys been tucking into me there but as a game, few alarming bugs and questionable AI seem to have survived testing. And yes, the run-out bug is still there...

Also, be prepared for the speeds of the bowlers, James Anderson can't bowl quicker than 75mph and on the console version, England and Australia's squads can't be edited - so Anderson, Broad and House will always be military medium pacers in the game.

Computer also seems to have a no-ball fetish (usually averages 10 or more in a 20/20 game), penchant for just bowling straight half-volleys (no bowling variety, you can't cut as they don't bowl outside off-stump) and they don't bowl wides (never).

And lastly, the player ratings are a joke. Afridi is a better batsman than Kallis, Flintoff is a better batsman than Strauss and Younis Khan is the best batsman on the game, he eclipses both Punter and Sachin.

I'm back to playing Fallout 3.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Not been able to get a game going, as I got the game early. Will try and play one this afternoon.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Shame, was looking forward to this. Seems like they need new testers, people who know anything about cricket might be a start

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It seems to be the problem with all cricket games of any sort though, poor testing has been responsible for a load of the EA games being complete ****e as well.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Just been caught and given out on my free hit online. Other guy had the same thing happen to him. :dry:

Biggest problem I find is that fast medium bowlers in the game are rank useless, just no point in them. Such a disappointment, international fast bowlers very rarely bowl at 70/75mph, in this game it is the norm (a few anomaly quicks aside).

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Got the game on 360, it isn't very good. Posted my full thoughts on the game on Planetcricket, fanboys been tucking into me there but as a game, few alarming bugs and questionable AI seem to have survived testing. And yes, the run-out bug is still there...

Also, be prepared for the speeds of the bowlers, James Anderson can't bowl quicker than 75mph and on the console version, England and Australia's squads can't be edited - so Anderson, Broad and House will always be military medium pacers in the game.

Computer also seems to have a no-ball fetish (usually averages 10 or more in a 20/20 game), penchant for just bowling straight half-volleys (no bowling variety, you can't cut as they don't bowl outside off-stump) and they don't bowl wides (never).

And lastly, the player ratings are a joke. Afridi is a better batsman than Kallis, Flintoff is a better batsman than Strauss and Younis Khan is the best batsman on the game, he eclipses both Punter and Sachin.

I'm back to playing Fallout 3.
Feeling much the same here from first plays. Right down to the fact that I want to get back to the Capital Wasteland as well.

Just finished a T20 - England 181ao (17); NZ 109/6 (20). Ordinary.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Haha, some of those are absolutely shocking, no way am I buying it now.
Hope this isn't seen as a plug, but this review is pretty much spot on regarding how I felt about the game. Gives it a 68/100 which is about right. The game can be really fun at times and really really frustrating at others.

Oh and I've had a few wides TT, for height though.

Jakester1288

International Regular
So it's no good?

I have been nagging my parents to get me an Xbox and this game for my birthday, is it worth it?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
So it's no good?

I have been nagging my parents to get me an Xbox and this game for my birthday, is it worth it?
Wouldn't be the first game I'd be getting for the 360, that's for sure. Might not even wanna go for the 360 in the first place. Get a PS3, better value for money but you miss out on some awesome games.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Wouldn't be the first game I'd be getting for the 360, that's for sure. Might not even wanna go for the 360 in the first place. Get a PS3, better value for money but you miss out on some awesome games.
Interesting.

Feelin blue? has a 360, which is what I am trying to get, with a headset, to talk to him while we are playing.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I'm not much of an online player (mostly because I don't have it) but if you're getting it for online play 360s are the way to go from what I know.

As for your original question, I'm not sure what the prices are for AC09, but I wouldn't get it for a console when you won't be able to get the patches to make the game more playable. I have it on PS3 simply because my computer is ****ed at the moment, and because it was free.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Mate of mine is bringing this round later, along with his 360. Looking forwards to playing it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Should provide a lot of multiplayer fun imo, regardless of it's faults. Just have to not take it too seriously.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Just remember to keep the ball on the floor when you have a free hit and pack your side with 'fast' bowlers.

I haven't lost a game since I decided to go with Steyn, Ntini, Morkel and Zondeki as my attack.

Easy trick, bowl two quick deliveries, let them get use to the pace and the slip the slower ball in. Always works but you have to decimate the top order with the 'fast' bowlers, as fast medium and spin goes the distance in the game, even the tail can bash them. I put 50 on with Zondeki and Ntini in just three overs online against Murali, Afridi and Zaheer Khan.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I love this game. I rented it out tonight to see what it would be like, and it is definitely the best cricket computer game I have ever played. Easily the most realistic. I only stopped playing 15 minutes ago, and only stopped because it was 4am.

Had an epic match against England. We were chasing 200 to win, and were 6/60 at one stage. Hussey & Johnson led a recovery before Flintoff struck. Haurtiz & Lee got the tail home with a one wicket win.

What I like most about the game is the bowling is actually interesting and not boring like in previous incarnations.