• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Codemasters announce Ashes Cricket 2009

The Legend

Cricket Spectator
The Legend, just checking, are you actually affiliated with the publishers of this game?
Actually, I run CricketGaming.net hence I am in contact with these companies.

Transmission claimed to have used the reviews by actual gamers i.e. by myself and Neil - both of which were equally harsh - as a starting point for making the new version. I don't think it's accurate to say that there was unpleasantness.
If you will search this forum, you will notice that Heath Smith, the lead designer posted a thread in this forum before developing this game just to hear the reviews. I was talking to Neil a week ago on MSN. I don't think so he will write this time as he is pretty busy.

As far about Colin's review, it was too great.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Still the bowling is snooker loopy. :sleep:

Hopefully you can take off the radar when batting, slightly improved the last few Lara games and made batting against 170kph Shoaib and Razzaq (:)) a little bit challenging.

Online last time was a pretty fun. 350 was the par score in a 20 over game and then I use to tear it up with Mohammed Yousuf's offies.

Matt79

Global Moderator
@ Barmy Army:
Thought I remembered a fairly terse announcement that the guys from CM weren't going to be available anymore after the review. But I did stick in the caveat IIRC (IF I recall correctly), and I'm very much sorry if that memory was inaccurate and I've done anyone a disservice.

I loved 05 but like many was disappointed in 07. lf the designers are taking onboard the feedback from 07 from places like CW, that's a great step.

Btw Barmy, what's your connection to CM? I had thought in the past you actually worked for them, but I take it that's not right?

Last edited:

barmyarmy

U19 Captain
@ Barmy Army:
Thought I remembered a fairly terse announcement that the guys from CM weren't going to be available anymore after the review. But I did stick in the caveat IIRC (IF I recall correctly), and I'm very much sorry if that memory was inaccurate and I've done anyone a disservice.
I'm sure they'll cope ;)

I loved 05 but like many was disappointed in 07. lf the designers are taking onboard the feedback from 07 from places like CW, that's a great step.
Here's the quote:

Jamie Forrest said:
JF: Heath’s right: we’ll be watching you. I know (I read it often enough) that you guys don’t think we watch the forums, but I assure you we do. Your review of 2007 pretty much formed the backbone (as well as, obviously, commercial considerations) of the 2009 design ethos. I check them daily to see what’s on your minds. The last few months have been a lot of fun: the conspiracy theories, the speculations. I’m glad we’re out in the open now and able to talk about the game: I’m really hopeful that we’ll have brought all of you guys some justice! Roll on release day!
Btw Barmy, what's your connection to CM? I had thought in the past you actually worked for them, but I take it that's not right?
No connection other than running a gaming website. I went to Codies in 2007 for the pre-release tour but we didn't actually get to play the game. We're going there again next Monday and will get a hands-on for the new game and also the wii version.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Well, in that case (if they're reading the forums for ideas), and its not too late:

- Bring back the classic players as unlockables.
- Bring back fully customisable teams
- Bring back proper career mode.
- Stamina for bowlers (although I think I've already seen that this is in the game)
- Make the catching MUCH more like 05 than 07 (tried and tried and tried, and could never take a catch - and I'm not bad at games normally)
- Time spent on AI is worth more than time spent on graphics.

:thumbsup:

Golaxi

School Boy/Girl Captain
worst game ever seen

omg the bowling actions in the videos look hurrendous! since when did fast bowlers release the ball with their wrists at that weird angle?

if they don't call it paralympic ashes they might get sued!

or mutant paralympic ashes for that cause no way a ball can come out a wrist like that at 80+ mile an hour and certainly not without breaking bones.

feel sorry for anyone that wastes there money on this

its just not cricket

barmyarmy

U19 Captain
Don't know why you're so bothered by the body physics. Gameplay is what really counts and they've made encouraging noises about that (although time will tell).

Golaxi

School Boy/Girl Captain
physics

its not minor body physics. its MAJOR body physics issue. the bowling action is a critical part of the sport and they've got it so disgustingly wrong they can't have possibly got the other parts of the game right. after all when your bowling your the one controlling the bowler. i dont wanna release deliverys like a spinner with my fast bowler.

i'd rather have a metal bowling machine graphic.

i reckon they know nout all apart from shane warne (thats all they seem to go on about in the video) and think every bowler releases a ball like that!

barmyarmy if you watch the video and actually spend your money on that you deserve what you get to be frank.

Matt79

Global Moderator
That's stupid Golaxi. Since when does graphical accuracy equate to good gameplay? In a sports sim, I'd take replay value and clever integration of the various factors of the real sport, plus good control design over graphics everyday. Hell, if they can get those factors right, I'd be happy for the players to be represented by wireframe stick figures.

barmyarmy

U19 Captain
barmyarmy if you watch the video and actually spend your money on that you deserve what you get to be frank.
Hey, I'm testing it next Monday and I get a free review copy anyway. Haven't had to buy a cricket game since c2k2...
I'm worried about the release because games always get over-hyped and never live up to expectations but at the same time it's hard not to be impressed by the interviews that Transmission and Codemasters have given. Listening to user feedback, overhauling x and y etc.

Incidentally short notice but we've still got 2 or 3 spots for anyone who wants to come to Codemasters on the 22nd and get a preview play. It's near Leamington Spa and will be between 12 and 5. E-mail me colinATplanetcricketDOTnet.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
He's not and I think you're being unfair on Codemasters.
Transmission claimed to have used the reviews by actual gamers i.e. by myself and Neil - both of which were equally harsh - as a starting point for making the new version. I don't think it's accurate to say that there was unpleasantness.
How on earth did you manage to get a picture-signature happening? :o

vicky

School Boy/Girl Captain
Went into a Game store in the city yesterday to pick up a copy of Cricket 2002 to tide me over till Ashes Cricket 2009 comes out.

According to their records the game is not due out until 13 August 2009.

Has there been any official announcement that the game has been delayed?

vicky

School Boy/Girl Captain
Went into a Game store in the city yesterday to pick up a copy of Cricket 2002 to tide me over till Ashes Cricket 2009 comes out.

According to their records the game is not due out until 13 August 2009.

Has there been any official announcement that the game has been delayed?

Bah... seems to be confirmed by Atari Games:

Ashes Cricket 2009 (PC) Game Overview - Atari Australia

Ashes could well be decided by the time the game is released...

Golaxi

School Boy/Girl Captain
hope nobody buys your games you money theiving criminals who aren't cricket fans. i pray that you will go bust and suffer plenty of debt in this recession