• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Bliss

Jakester1288

International Regular
This is my story about Australia played on International Cricket Captain 2008. I am starting from the completion of the 2009 Ashes and One Day series. In this story you can watch the Australian cricket team from the highs, lows, and follow them through all the moments from winning world cups to losing Ashes series. Enjoy!

I will be coming across as the coach of the side. Does anyone know how to make the attached image bigger?

Last edited:

Atreyu

School Boy/Girl Captain
Cool, i was hoping you would do a story, since I know it would always be updated

Jakester1288

International Regular
Zimbabwe in Australia

4th September 2009

Zimbabwe jetted over today in preparation for their two test series and then the Commonwealth Bank one day tri-series with South Africa, Zimbabwe and us. We are going to name a full strength side in preparation for when South Africa come over, apart from a few position changes.

zimbabwe in aus tests.jpg

Victoria has a 3 day game against them soon, which will be good to see how the likes of Hodge goes, because he is in high consideration for the first test.

Jakester1288

International Regular
First test squad announced

4th November 2009

Today we announced the squad of 12 for the first test. There was no new faces, but there are a few players struggling for form who are getting a run to try to get back into form.

australia squad.jpg

In the 3 day match, Zimbabwe showed they are no push-overs, beating the Bushrangers by 217 runs. There were a few promising performances from the Victorians, but none strong enough for any outsiders to push their way into the side.

Jakester1288

International Regular
First test - Day 1 - Australia v Zimbabwe

8th November 2009.

Today we lost the coin toss, and fielded first. The line-ups are as follows:

australia v zimbabwe first test teams.jpg

One of the position changes I mentioned earlier is Hussey opening and Katich at 4. We are looking towards the future in opening with Hussey and bringing in another middle order bat.

We bowled them out for 320 with 3 overs remaining in the day. Siddle impressed with the ball again, and Krejza bowled poorly until the last session, ending with 3 wickets. Jaques and Hussey safely negotiated them and scored 12 runs.

zimbabwe first innings.jpg

Jakester1288

International Regular
First test - Day 2 - Australia v Zimbabwe

9th November 2009

Today was an excellent day for us. We started the day at 0/12, and batted at a snail pace until just before lunch, when Hussey was out LBW for 24. We scored 40 runs in less than an hour and got to 1/101 by lunch, with Jaques on 48 and Ponting on 22. Shortly after lunch Jaques bought up his 50 off 114 balls, and 33 balls later was on his bike for 57. At 2/120 we needed someone to score a few runs, and stay there with Punter, and Katich was just the right person for the job. Before tea Ponting reached his 50 and we were 2/196 at the break. In the last session Katich made his 50 off 125 balls and Ponting his 100 off 191 not long after. By stumps we were 2/284, in a great position to post a big score tomorrow.

NOTE: I forgot to take a screenie. :o

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Facing Zimbabwe must be a nice start to your game! ;) Good effort so far in the first test, hopefully you'll be able to build a sizeable lead.

Just on the side, interesting to see that Krejza's labelled an allrounder in ICC 08.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Facing Zimbabwe must be a nice start to your game! ;) Good effort so far in the first test, hopefully you'll be able to build a sizeable lead.

Just on the side, interesting to see that Krejza's labelled an allrounder in ICC 08.
Actually I started in May 2008 against the West Indies like 3 days ago. Sped through it, got a clue about the game and started this just after the Ashes.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Tim Nielsen steps down as Australian Coach

15 minutes ago Australian coach Tim Nielsen has stepped down as coach of the national team effective immediately after the first test against Zimbabwe. He took over the team from John Buchanan after the 2007 World Cup and has coached the team through many highs and lows since then.

When asked why he made the decision to retire he responded with “no comment”, but earlier in his press conference he said that he had lost all motivation to coach. He also said he wanted to spend more time on his own, doing things he wants with his family.

Jakester1288

International Regular
First test - Day 3 - Australia v Zimbabwe

10th November 2009

Today was definitely our day. Early Katich brought up his 100 off a slow but steady 223 balls, and Ponting followed suit bringing up his 150 before lunch. By the lunch break Australia were 2/384 and already had a 64 run lead on Zimbabwe with 8 wickets still in hand. Ponting and Katich were well set on 165 and 118 respectively. After lunch Ponting edged a ball to first slip and was out for 190, and he hit the turf with his bat as a sign of frustration at himself for not going on and making a double century. Soon after Clarke left for 16, and not long after Katich was dismissed for a hard fought 144 off 346 balls. At 5/472 Australian fans had just witnessed a huge collapse in their batting order. Symonds set about repairing the innings, making his 50 off only 79 balls, then when he was dismissed next ball with the score at 6/523, with Johnson halfway out to the crease, Ponting called the batsmen back into the pavillion. In our hour and 7 minute stint at the Zimbabweans we took 4 wickets for 47 runs, Siddle picking up 2 early ones and then Lee and Krejza taking one each. Zimbabwe are still 156 runs in arrears with only 6 wickets in hand, and with 2 full days left things are looking good for us to pick up a handy victory.

australia first innings.jpg

Jakester1288

International Regular
Impressive!
Well it is Zimbabwe, if I got less than 450 with the bat I would have been very disappointed. But after they made 320 in the first innings, having them 4/47 is really pleasing, even if they have a couple of big partnerships tomorrow, I don't see them lasting out the day or making over 250, giving me an easy victory.

inbox24

International Debutant
Hey Jakster, did you drop Hayden or did he retire? He's quite a useful guy, averages about 52 until the end of his career with 40 odd centuries. Also notice you have Krejza in there, have you tried Cam White yet? He's so much different to real life, the guy can average between 45-50 with the bat and 30s or less with ball, very Kallis-esque. Finally there's also Pomersbach, who given a bit of technique early ends up with a 50+ average and handy right arm medium dibbly dobblers.

Apparently Jaques is a very good one day bowler too.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I dropped Hayden. He was in poor form, and I want to make it as realistic as possible. I dropped White for Symonds, I had White, but he was failing to make runs and that is his number 1 job if he is batting at 6. He had an excellent 2008/09 but has been poor since.

Jakester1288

International Regular
First test - Day 4 - Australia v Zimbabwe

11th November 2009

Today's game came to a very premature end, with the Zimbabweans innings finishing in the last over before the lunch break. Krejza got Taibu for 8 in the first 15 minutes of the day, and really set the tone. Siddle ended Williams resistance on 32 and the Zimbabweans were reeling at 6/69. Krejza got Manyumwa also for 8, and at when Krejza picked up Rainsford for 7 the match was all but over. With one over left before the break, Siddle ended Rinke's 88 ball resistance claiming him for 32, the equal highest score of the innings, giving us an innings and 76 runs victory with just over 5 sessions left. It was a comprehensive victory, and a great way to send off Timmy Nielsen. The boys really lifted after Zimbabwe made a few runs in the first innings, it was a really good performance from us.

zimbabwe second innings.jpg

australia v zimbabwe summary.jpg

Last edited:

Jakester1288

International Regular
Australian coach announced

Geoff 'Swampy' Marsh during his playing days.

Former Australian opening batsmen and Zimbabwean coach Geoff Marsh has been offered the position of coaching the Australian Cricket team, and has accepted. It was one year ago when he denied he wanted to get back into coaching until his youngest son got into high levels of cricket, and now Mitchell is pushing for a spot in the Western Australia Second XI and Shaun the Australian side, he has decided to get back into coaching.

He was called last night by James Sutherland and at his press conference today, said he would start where Tim Nielsen left off, and is glad to have over a year to prepare for the 2011 World Cup. He is looking to the future, and said he would be blooding young players against minnow sides, and he would get used to the players during the second test, and at training, and then try to repair their broken one day team, which his son has opened the batting for in the past.

The right-handed opener played 50 tests for Australia, and averaged 33.18 with 4 100’s. He said after his press conference that he is ‘honoured to have the opportunity to coach such a great side, and looks forward to hopefully continuing their success over the coming months’.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Australia v Zimbabwe - Second Test Preview

The second test is the start of a new era for Australian Cricket, with Geoff Marsh getting back into coaching. He has been keeping a low profile, but hinted that he will be blooding some youth where possible. He has kept the same side for the first test, with the minor change of Hussey and Katich in the batting order, and the Zimbabweans have removed paceman Rinke and Garwe for Maruma and Cremer.

The official line ups are as follows:

ausvzimteams.jpg

Coin toss:

Ricky Ponting calls tails and wins the toss, and elects to bat. The pitch looks good, has a bit in it for the bowlers and the spinners will benefit on this pitch. Buckle up and get ready for the first session.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I think you should aim for a first innings total of 450+ if the pitch plays what you've described, and considering the Zimbabwean bowling line-up. Good luck on taking out the series 2-0. :)

Last edited: