• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Selection Tips?

Flem274*

123/5
Basically, I suck. I can win the odd game but I keep getting hammered, despite picking the better NZ players. Came 7th in the WC and got monstored by Sri Lanka in tests and ODIs, not making above 170 in the ODIs and not taking more than three wickets.

My team usually involves (not in order):

Fleming
How
Broom
Ryder
Oram
Sinclair (wk)
Bond
Mills
Vettori
Patel
Shaw (who has now been banished)
Martin
Styris
Franklin
Fulton

plus a few others. Tried using Sewell and Shaw as suggested but they're awful. Gillespie had a promisng start but has gone to poos. The only reliable batsmen I have for tests are Fleming and Sinclair. Broom and Fleming for ODIs. Problem is Broom lost all form in SL and Fleming is now injured for the Bangladesh series.

I'm playing the 2006 game. So, who is reliable? I'm going to pick a team and stick with it for ten tests come hell or high water. My main problems are Bond has no form (which I'm working on), no reliable third seamer, Vettori and Patel are either brilliant or crap, and a misfiring batting order. Seeing as I can't reach through the screen and punch my team in the face after SL I thought I better come here and get some ideas.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Haha, agreed.

Franklin and Vettori were always consistent performers for me in the 06 version, while McCullum, Fleming and Fulton were always the goods with the bat. For everyone else it was just rotating in and out on form. Vincent goes alright too ;)

Flem274*

123/5
Don't select NZ. :ph34r:
You'll be pleased to hear Bangladesh beat you in the WC by 8 wickets. :p

They beat me too. :ph34r:

Cheers Geggy for the tips. Btw I've noticed McCullum and Vincent have transferred their ability from real life to hit a nice 20 or 30 then get out in a horrible way. ;)

Fleming has been a real arse saver though. Got 4 100s in four innings once. Legend. He just had to go and break his thumb, thank god its only Bangladesh.

I've promoted Oram to no.5 in the test side. He's been inconsistent but averages 44, so he can have a go as a batting allrounder. Hoping Chris Martin can fill the third seamer role. I'm bowling atm.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Cheers Geggy for the tips. Btw I've noticed McCullum and Vincent have transferred their ability from real life to hit a nice 20 or 30 then get out in a horrible way. ;)
In 2006 I always batted McCullum at 7 in both forms. Trying to open with him always produced mixed results, ultimately not worth it. In ICC 2008 he's managed to lift his ODI average up towards 40 when opening the batting.
In 2006 Vincent did quite well for my in the #2 batting position for ODIs, averaging high 30s.

I've promoted Oram to no.5 in the test side. He's been inconsistent but averages 44, so he can have a go as a batting allrounder. Hoping Chris Martin can fill the third seamer role. I'm bowling atm.
Forgot about Oram. Has been pretty awesome in every version since 05 IIRC. Often averages 40> and <30 with the bat and ball respectively, in both forms.

Flem274*

123/5
Well I won a test...against Bangladesh. Taylor had a good debut at three scoring two fifties. Broom got a fifty, Fulton got two, How got one, Sinclair as wk is the best one I've had in the game. Martin bowled well.

Nicol has made way for Flemings return.

Fulton
How
Fleming
Taylor
Broom
Oram
Sinclair
Vettori
Franklin
Mills
Martin

Bond out for Franklin, can't say Franklin is having a great comeback though. Overall the team is going much better, though the acid test will be against whoever is next. Ryder, Vincent, Bond, McCullum, Styris and Nicol have got alot of work to do to get in now (some are squad members). McMillan will probably feature in the ODIs.

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant
why don't you try out McCullum .........he works really well for me......

If you are playing NZ.........these players will be very benificial .......

1.Gregory Hay (Batsman)
2.Ian Robertson (Allrounder-spinner)
3.Brendon Hinni (Allroundet-Medium pacer)

Flem274*

123/5
why don't you try out McCullum .........he works really well for me......

If you are playing NZ.........these players will be very benificial .......

1.Gregory Hay (Batsman)
2.Ian Robertson (Allrounder-spinner)
3.Brendon Hinni (Allroundet-Medium pacer)
If I had the 2008 version Hay would likely be in but I have 2006.

2006 seems to hate McCullum, I dropped him because of all the leg byes and 20s he gets. Sinclair is the new keeper and doing a mighty fine job so far.

Yeah the other two are prospects, aren't ripping it up at domestic level yet though coz they are still pretty raw. I'll be keeping an eye out though, cheers.

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
Based on my ICC experiences I'd go with:

Flemming (*)
Fulton
Sinclair
Ryder (give him a lot of overs he has a habit of picking up wickets)
McMillan (bat him on normal from start of innings (currently averaging over 100 after 11 innings on these settings with 5 hundreds and 2 fifties)
Oram
McCullum (+)
Franklin
Vettori
Bond
Shaw (extremely good for me but if you don't want him then I'd recomend Canning or either Patel or Bruce Martin as a 2nd spinner)

Other batting options: Taylor, Flynn, Nicol, Vincent
Other Bowling options: Canning, B Martin, Patel, Gillespie, McSkimming

I hope this advice has been helpful

Athlai

Not Terrible
Based on my ICC experiences I'd go with:

Flemming (*)
Fulton
Sinclair
Ryder (give him a lot of overs he has a habit of picking up wickets)
McMillan (bat him on normal from start of innings (currently averaging over 100 after 11 innings on these settings with 5 hundreds and 2 fifties)
Oram
McCullum (+)
Franklin
Vettori
Bond
Shaw (extremely good for me but if you don't want him then I'd recomend Canning or either Patel or Bruce Martin as a 2nd spinner)

Other batting options: Taylor, Flynn, Nicol, Vincent
Other Bowling options: Canning, B Martin, Patel, Gillespie, McSkimming

I hope this advice has been helpful
Yeah but Phlegm if you choose Shaw over Patel I will find you and end you.:ph34r:

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah but Phlegm if you choose Shaw over Patel I will find you and end you.:ph34r:
:laugh:

Shaw is shocking in my game anyway, I wanted to send him home in disgrace mid-tour.

Patel and Vettori are very inconsistent.

Cheers for the help guys.

I'm definitely keeping Fleming, Fulton, Sinclair, Oram and Mills as my core players (hopefuly Broom will graduate into this group). Taylor has had some good early test figures. Bond and Ryder are good in form but have been dropped so they can find some form in domestics. Luckily Bond doesn't always get injured and Ryder can't go to the pub in this game.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Athlai, I just started a new NZ game for the sole purpose of selecting a squad without Patel in it... so what you gonna do?