• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Selecting in ICC 2008

krkode

State Captain
So I just got ICC 2008 after playing 2002 for the last 5 or 6 years and understandably a lot of names are new to me. I was wondering what is a good policy when selecting players?

For example, I started out with India playing international on easy mode. In the beginning, I began with Zaheer Khan, RP Singh, Kumble and Harbhajan as my bowlers. Then Kumble retired and I'm trying to decide who to go with next.

At the start of the new season the computer kicked out all my old guys and automatically selected a new squad consisting of a couple of new players whom I've never heard of (Gagandeep Singh, R Jesuram, etc.). These kids had low averages which were impressive but I was wondering how to proceed from here.

Should I just go with the computer and get these guys with low averages whom I've never heard of - or should I go with the tried and true guys like Zaheer Khan, Ishant Sharma etc. who we all know are pretty good in real life but don't have as impressive averages in ICC2008.

I just want the best bowling lineup possible. :) So in your experience, who are some good Indian bowlers one can select who turn out to be quite strong in ICC2008? Is I Malhotra any good? How about G Singh or R Jesuram or Piyush Chawla? Should I scrap my preconceived notions about who is in the real-life Indian team and go for the "ICC Indian team"?

One example is Hick or Paul Hutchinson from ICC2002 - we all know they sort of didn't make it in real life but they're both fantastic in ICC2002... Who are these "hidden maestros" in ICC2008? :happy:

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant
So I just got ICC 2008 after playing 2002 for the last 5 or 6 years and understandably a lot of names are new to me. I was wondering what is a good policy when selecting players?

For example, I started out with India playing international on easy mode. In the beginning, I began with Zaheer Khan, RP Singh, Kumble and Harbhajan as my bowlers. Then Kumble retired and I'm trying to decide who to go with next.

At the start of the new season the computer kicked out all my old guys and automatically selected a new squad consisting of a couple of new players whom I've never heard of (Gagandeep Singh, R Jesuram, etc.). These kids had low averages which were impressive but I was wondering how to proceed from here.

Should I just go with the computer and get these guys with low averages whom I've never heard of - or should I go with the tried and true guys like Zaheer Khan, Ishant Sharma etc. who we all know are pretty good in real life but don't have as impressive averages in ICC2008.

I just want the best bowling lineup possible. :) So in your experience, who are some good Indian bowlers one can select who turn out to be quite strong in ICC2008? Is I Malhotra any good? How about G Singh or R Jesuram or Piyush Chawla? Should I scrap my preconceived notions about who is in the real-life Indian team and go for the "ICC Indian team"?

One example is Hick or Paul Hutchinson from ICC2002 - we all know they sort of didn't make it in real life but they're both fantastic in ICC2002... Who are these "hidden maestros" in ICC2008? :happy:

Yeah, in ICC players perform according to their first class records.........
people like Yuvraj ,Dhoni ,etc are of no worth .........
if you wanna be realistic select according to actual squads.......but if wanna be on top,,,pick the players with best FC averages....:)

krkode

State Captain
Yeah, in ICC players perform according to their first class records.........
people like Yuvraj ,Dhoni ,etc are of no worth .........
if you wanna be realistic select according to actual squads.......but if wanna be on top,,,pick the players with best FC averages....:)
Yeah, it was a bit saddening... I was excited about the prospect of having Dhoni in my team but the game keeps auto-selecting Karthik as my wicketkeeper and I keep changing it. So far Dhoni has averaged a dismal 20 in tests.

Laxman went from averaging 43ish at the start of the game to about 52 currently. Tendulkar went from 55 to 60 and Badrinath currently averages a Hussey-like 65. :o

susudear

Banned
Not a surprise really

Yeah, it was a bit saddening... I was excited about the prospect of having Dhoni in my team but the game keeps auto-selecting Karthik as my wicketkeeper and I keep changing it. So far Dhoni has averaged a dismal 20 in tests.

Laxman went from averaging 43ish at the start of the game to about 52 currently. Tendulkar went from 55 to 60 and Badrinath currently averages a Hussey-like 65. :o
It's after all a game built upon a spreadsheet containing FC and Test records. If you are hellbent on continuing with actual players with no regard to their records in the game, you are sure to get royally ****ed.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Selecting in ICC 2008 is essentially just like selecting in any other version - first class and second team averages are generally a good base, rather than past test match records. India's got a host of quality young players on ICC, Badrinath for instance, that make them so difficult to beat - I'd look at the second team and current first class records of players to select the best team possible, rather than base your decisions on reputation in real life.