• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Phlegms half assed NZ Story

Flem274*

123/5
Bought ICC 06 today, started an NZ game on easy, because I'm tough, and I've just had that CB series in 07. The boys were awful in our first few games, but due to England being crap we beat them twice with Jamie How, Martin Guptill and Jesse Ryder looking invincible in the top order. Macka and Flem were inconsistent but handy and Oram was a common saviour in Australian matches. By beating England a whopping two time we made the finals series and lost to the goddamn Aussies in the first match. Beat them in the second and were pipped in the last over in the third. The batting against Aussie was very hit and miss though I'm pleased that McGrath was put in his place i.e. the grandstand. Very happy with Jesse Ryders allround capabilities, Astle is in shocking form and Cairnsys bowling is hit and miss. Howitzer, Guppy and Big Fat Jesse look promising

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nice. Good luck for whatever's up next...World Cup must be soon.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Good luck for the World Cup. :)

Astle's never performed well for me on ICC games - and I think hes considered a batsmen in ICC 06 so in theory shouldn't offer that much with the ball either. Cairns is a similar case, never really got the performances I was expecting from the great allrounder. I'd try Sinclair if hes not in your side at the moment, has always been a star for me on ICC.

BTW how come you bought ICC 06 instead of a more recent version?

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
Good story mate.

I've just got a bit of advice from my own New Zealand game on ICC 2006 I found that besides the usual suspects both Nick Horsley and Ross Taylor were good test match openners, Ryder was very good with the ball in both forms and that Gareth Shaw was an absolutely gun bowler. Contrary to previous comments I found Astle had a habit of playing important knocks when needed but was not as consistant as some of the other options.

Flem274*

123/5
Nice. Good luck for whatever's up next...World Cup must be soon.
Good luck for the World Cup. :)

Astle's never performed well for me on ICC games - and I think hes considered a batsmen in ICC 06 so in theory shouldn't offer that much with the ball either. Cairns is a similar case, never really got the performances I was expecting from the great allrounder. I'd try Sinclair if hes not in your side at the moment, has always been a star for me on ICC.

BTW how come you bought ICC 06 instead of a more recent version?
Only one in store

Good story mate.

I've just got a bit of advice from my own New Zealand game on ICC 2006 I found that besides the usual suspects both Nick Horsley and Ross Taylor were good test match openners, Ryder was very good with the ball in both forms and that Gareth Shaw was an absolutely gun bowler. Contrary to previous comments I found Astle had a habit of playing important knocks when needed but was not as consistant as some of the other options.
Cheers guys.

Just played India. Very fustrating (they win the toss and bat first on turners). First test I lost, only highlight was Ryders 99.

Second test I drew. Once again they batted first and again scored 400. In reply I collapsed again but just avoided the follow on thanks to a highly realistic rear guard knock from Vettori. Ryder and Cairns both got fifties (very happy with Cairnsy struggling through his poor form). Vettori lead the charge in the second innings to dismiss India for 250 odd with support from Bond and co. I wasl eft with a lovely 440 to win in one day on a sharp turning bitc...pitch with erratic bounce. Ordered my men to shut down the shops and block and after the early loss of How Guptill and Fulton recovered the situation nicely to take us to lunch, Fulton scoring 56 and Guptill 47. After lunch we lost 5 quick wickets thanks to ******** batting, obviously misinterpreting my order to block as tym 2 hit sixxez. Cairns and McCullum were now at the crease and I thought we were ****ed. Cairns had a zillion appeals against him and McCullum has taken his real life habit of scoring quick 30s and getting out into ICC. However they stayed there, both notching up 40 odd nots outs each and making me quite relieved.

ODIs next. Taylor, Shaw and Hefford have been rewarded for good domestic form. Hopefully Shaw and Hefford can help out my inconsistent bowling attack. Oram, despite beingn ext to useless in the tests, retains his place as his ODI form is outstanding. Cairns is in for his gutsy batting, need more from his bowling though. Tossing up between the inconsistent Macka or one of Taylor or Fulton to bat at 4 or five.

Likely team:

How
Guptill
Ryder
Fleming
Macka/Taylor/Fulton (Fulton or Taylor, if played may go up to three)
Cairns
Oram
McCullum
Vettori
Bond
Mills/Shaw/Hefford

Flem274*

123/5
*trumpets* I WON A TEST SERIES!!!

Bout ****ing time too. Beat England who are ranked number 1, 1-0.

1st Test

Won toss, batted first, Fleming scored 140, Horsley 50, Oram 62. a.o. 381

England 416 with all their top order making 50s and Trescothick scoring 100 at five. Bond put Cook out of the series with a nice bouncer which caused injury. Vettori took 5/120.

From here the pitch detriorated. Scraped to just over 200 courtesty of Taylor and Oram half centuries on a pitch with erratic bounce and sharp turn.

England were bundled out for a low score after Shane Bond got back in form with 5-59 and Vettori took 4-66

2nd Test

Was a draw. Batted first, got reduced to 155/5 before Taylor (132) and Sinclair (2228) combined and we made 587. England in reply made just over 300 with Read getting 100. I enforced the follow on and tore them to pieces (apart from Reads 110) but unfortunately I ran out of time and they were left with 1 wicket left.

I also wn the 20/20. I'd post some test stats but I don't remember them and can't be arsed taking screenshots, soz.

The victorious sqaud was:

Nick Horsley
Peter Fulton
Stephen Fleming (capt)
Tim Lythe
Ross Taylor
Jacob Oram
Mathew Sinclair (wk)
Daniel Vettori
Kyle Mills
Shane Bond
Mark Gillespie

Jarrod Englefield
Chris Martin

Ryder did not play due to injury.

Harmison, Strauss, Read, Trescothick were stars for England.

Flem274*

123/5
Don't drink and CW kids. It makes your literature major seem like a bit of a joke. :laugh:
Will take that on board Dad.

Anway, after winning the test series, we promptly went 2-0 down in the 5 match ODI series. Due to Broom and Macka averaging below 20 with the bat in List A and Patel averaging 40 with the ball I had to pick some form players. The batsmen were Ingram and S Stewart (76 and 55 respectively) and Woodcock as my spinner. Stewart was a failure, Pinga got a fifty and a few starts and Woodcock was handy. We managed to recover and win 3-2, annihalating them in the final two games. Taylor got his maiden ODI 100. Oram and Fleming as per usual were excellent and Vettori, Gillespie and Bond were good bowlers.

NZ in the WI

The pitch was decidedly dodgy (uneven bounce from Day 1) and I lost the toss and had to bowl first. Ryan Hinds made 100 and the rest bugger all as I ripped them out for 219 (Vettori 5-85). In reply I made 502 a.o. and am very pleased. McIntosh made 104 on debut (no dropped catches this time), Ryder made 124* on recall and Oram made a hundred. My best batting all story (587 vs England was made in way more favourable conditions and relied on Sinclair and Taylor). We then dispatched of the WI for 150 odd (Ryan Hinds 50, good player this chap) and won the match by an innings and a long way. Bond, Vettori and a resurgent Mills took me to victory.

Oh and PEWS will be glad to note Mathew Sinclair is the number 2 test batsman avaeraging over 80 this season. Fleming is fourth.