• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

stats based card game

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
Looking around the web, there are lots of stats based table top baseball games, like baseball guru, apba and replay baseball. The style of play would fit very much into a cricket based version, though there doesn't seem to be anything similar out there.

For those whove never seen those games, the basic idea is you have player cards and roll dice to get your outcome for each ball, with each players stats contributing to the chance of scoring/getting out. Its actually much more realistic than one might think - with whole seasons reproducing very detailed and realistic reprodutions of a baseball season. On top of that one can create leagues, trades, fantasy teams etc which makes it both interesting, in depth and incredibly realistic.

So ive had a quick brainstorm as to how a cricket version would work. Im sure theres some geeks out there who'd want to play it. Ive hit a bit of a brick wall in creating bowlers however. Does anyone know of a standardised version of bowlers strike rate and economy through the ages? Similar to the one Goughy did for averages?

Anyone out there remotely interested? Maybe some rpg players?:ph34r:

albo97056

U19 Cricketer

This is a little sample Ive cooked up. Just noticed Im missing a flag on one of them.
Ive done some current players aswell (currently just about a team)
Ive used some of the ideas of Baseball Guru and expanded it for cricket. You should get an excellent reproduction of realistic cricket scores including sr, av, wickets etc. Ive used a simple trick to make older era players stats similar to modern players - basically multiply their sr, av and econs by the ratio of the world average between our era and theirs. So wg's test sr of 83.3 gets inflated to about 105, while lohmanns econ gets worse by 60ish %.
Should enable good inter era play.
Some of the other things on the cards are my own inventions. It seems the major criticism of these sorts of games is a lack of influence on the outcome. But with my version you can choose to take more risks, pick teams based on conditions - including weather and surface, use abilities like bowling special balls - which have their good and bad points and lots more.
Each player has prefs based on pitch type and bowler type, so 19th century player generally play better on their sort of pitchs ie green and uneven, while modern players are better at flat tracks.
Notice I have reverse and normal swing rules based on weather and pitch conditions (so waqar wont be as effective on a damp day in england than on a karachi dustbowl. Ive also got a feature based on pressure, so when victory nears some players will bottle it while other excel.

Any comments? Would anyone be interested in giving it a go? Its all based around dice rolls (since I have one this is for a 100 and a 10 sided die, but you could use 3 10 sided or a random number generator. If anyones interested I will post my early stages rule book (its still looking more like a sketchbook lol):wacko:

Any ideas to add to it would be welcomed!!!:)

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
Ok Ive got a basic site up and running.. feel free to visit and give it a go:

http://dynastycricket.ueuo.com/index.html

There are a few things Im not entirely happy with, but having tried simming a few games with it the results are pretty realistic and if youve got someone to play against can get quite strategic.:shy:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The website is very well done, the official rules appear as though you have all basis covered.

I'd probably need a few test runs to fully understand everything, but yeah I'd enjoy this.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
Cheers, Im sure there are a few things Ive missed out - one thing is I havent added in the rules for rain yet. Let me know if there's anything there that needs changing - its basically just me writing it all so without someone to check it Im sure there's a few mistakes.

I will update the card page later, I know ive got Bradman repeated loads of times - just makes it easier to drop in new cards. Each one does take about 10-15 mins to create even with excel doing all the maths for me...

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
I have done some more cards and will stick them up soon. Lots of things going on at the moment mean that this isnt highest priority, but I find it fun so Im sure i'll be adding to the database in the near future.