• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Card Cricket?

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
I might post up my father and I's rules for Card Cricket. Only if people are interested.

Notes:
Can be 1 or 2 player. (exactly the same)
Only needs 1 pack of card (you know 52 card pickup?)
Quick and simple
Nowhere near realistic (Oneday scores of 150 Max.)

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
Sorry but the Card Cricket game is not available for a while yet.

Sorry!

But there are bigger fish to fry.
Hope you wont kill me for it.

WATCH OUT IT WILL BE HERE!

Kimbo

International Debutant
oh, i thought he meant he would do it later... oh well, i will have to think of my own card cricket game.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
My mate Ray and I used to play cricket with 2 dice. We worked out things fairly accurately based upon all 36 throw combinations - each throw corresponding to a single ball.

If anyone is interested, I will try to remember all the refinements we added to make the game more realistic.

When we devised the game (over 35 years ago) an over (in proper cricket) used to take around 3 minutes. Therefore each throw covered 30 seconds of a game - hence 120 overs in a day's play. Scoring seemed to be around 3 runs per over, average scores seemed to be in the region of 250. It was realistic to restrict play to 3 days, thus allowing for the possibility of draws.

Action (as opposed to a 'dot ball') took place whenever a double was scored. In the event of double 1,2 or 3, that was the runs. Double 4 was a boundary for higher order batsmen. Double 5 tended to be an appeal - there would be a subsequent throw to determine whether a wicket had been taken and then another to determine 'how out'. The double 5 also had the 'extras' encoded within it.

Double 6 was accompanied by the commentary 'It's hard.....it's high...' and then lots of things could happen.

Seeding based upon batting position was in place - tail-enders could be dismissed on scores other than double 5.

Hey, the more I think, the more I remember. I'll have a bit more of a think, then post something else (if anyone's interested).

Now I think about it, it would be simple to computerise using random number generation. Hmmmmm - might write my own. Could call it 'sixties cricket' and have bowlers like Higgs, Snow, Underwood, Harold Rhodes.

Had a similar game for speedway, too. Ove Fundin, Ivan Mauger, Briggo, Michanek (don't expect any of you guys to have heard of those).